Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2023, 11:47 AM

Default MTRX Studio as a standalone processor

Hello,
Unfortunately our current monitor processor in use in a number of our studios is no longer being manufactured so we need to find a replacement.
I twice attempted to submit a question to the Avid sales page but I'm not certain it went through, after submitting it twice the page was stuck on "Please Wait".
I've looked online and searched for what I could find, watched videos, and read the manual (yes, I read manuals).
I still have a few questions if anyone has experience with this.

We're interested in the Avid MTRX Studio as a studio monitor processor with analog I/O. Our needs -
A - Need 5.1.4-ch + 2-ch analog I/O for monitor speakers.
B - Need speaker eq and delay control per speaker output.
C - Once set up we need it to boot with no PT system or computer attached, just "boot and go" with the processing we've set up.
D - Routing = Analog in > Analog out with monitor processing.

Looking at the manual it appears I can route the AD>DA and then build monitor profiles that have the desired outputs and EQ+Delay processing.
It appears that after using DADMan to configure, that config should stick and I won't need a computer after that except for changes.

Questions -
A - When assigning monitor EQ+Delay to the monitor profile, is the processing "married" to those configured analog outputs? Just route inputs to those outputs and the monitor processing is present?

B - No computer is needed for normal operation, correct? Except for changes.

C - We need 5.1.4 for audio immersive monitoring plus 2-ch for the video control room. Can I apply monitor processing to those +2 channels of outputs while they're NOT in the 5.1.4 monitor path? So, for instance, any front panel monitor adjustments such as level will NOT affect the 2-ch processed outputs because they're not in the 5.1.4 monitor profile?

D - Does the unit boot with any odd levels such as "boot with dim" or some other oddity? Or does it come up as last used?

If anyone has experience using the MTRX Studio as a standalone processor I would appreciate your input.
Sincerely,
Hugh
Old 02-13-2023, 02:32 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio as a standalone processor

The MTRX studio should do what you're looking for it to do, and has the I/O you need. I've never used it exactly as your'e describing, but the features are there.

A - EQ/Delay are tied to output sets, so if you set up a 5.1.4 an 2.0 output set, add EQ to them, and then map your analog inputs to those outputs, the processing will always be applied.

B - As far as I know, it will always boot to the last-loaded monitor profile. However, There's really no disadvantage to just plugging at ethernet cable in and keeping it attached to your network. You can leave the digilink ports blank and still control it with DADMan, as well as pop to different reference levels/speaker sets with a EUCON connected tablet if you like.

C - Yes - You can change what the front panel controls, and make the 2 channel monitor a cue output that isn't controlled by the knob. You can also set it so the front knob will control a different speaker set based on the selected of "A B or C" next to it.

D - I keep mine on most of the time, but it doesn't boot with any auto-dim to my knowledge.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:15 AM

Hi There,

I would be interested in trying this standalone method with my own MTRX Studio as I currently have to reset up my monitors and with no computer internet access just wondering how this could work for a mobile setup.

Maybe creativecontrol Jeff Komar could add something here on the subject.

Regards
Old 02-14-2023, 01:16 PM

Hello SonicSloth (great sobriquet),
Thanks for the information, based on what you're saying the MTRX Studio may do what we want it to do. I know a LOT of PT operators here in LA but none have the MTRX Studio to borrow for a test. Naturally two data points, yours and someone else knowledgeable, will give us confidence to purchase.

Oddly, unlike all our other vendors, I can't seem to get in touch with Avid Sales in any way that I've found. I've submitted two inquiries on the sales page but have not received a receipt confirmation nor a response. I found a phone number for the Avid office here in Burbank but it's not a functioning number, maybe the office isn't here anymore. We own a LOT of Avid products so I suppose the next step is to start a support ticket but it's not support, it's sales. Seems to me it shouldn't be this hard to talk to an Avid person with knowledge who wants to take our money. I used to know someone from Avid corporate but they've moved to Netflix.

Thanks again for your information.
Hugh
Old 02-14-2023, 06:20 PM
Avid

Howdy,

PM me and I'll put you in touch with one of our fine folks in the Avid Burbank office where you can swing by and check it out if you are in the area.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ