Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2024, 10:38 AM

Default Audiomovers, APL Virtuoso, Dadman, and Aggregates

Hi friends,

I currently use the internal renderer configured for ST and BIN re-renders. Once more re-renders are available soon, I'll configure for ST, BIN, 5.1, 7.1.4, and 9.1.6.

In advance of more internal re-renders coming, I'm trying to pre-conceptualize the best way out of a few buses into Dadman. I am (currently) using a 7.1.4 bus to an aux for the Audiometers Binaural Renderer for Apple Music, then to an ST output (out to two channels in Dadman) since Pro Tools auto-folds it to ST (let me know if I'm setting that up wrong). This should remain on separate TB3 channel outputs into Dadman correct? Even if it ultimately goes to AirPods? I suppose that perhaps it should just go to a dead end.

I am also currently using a 9.1.6 bus to an aux for APL Virtuoso (for a BIN version of 9.1.6 speaker config), then to an ST output (out to two channels in Dadman) since Pro Tools also auto-folds that to ST. This should remain on separate TB channel outputs into Dadman correct as well?

Also, Audiomovers says that I have to create an aggregate device with my main hardware device in order to use the AirPods as an output to the plugin. I'd really like to NOT create an aggregate, as I want to use the MTRX Studio only. Does anyone know of a way around this?

Thank you!

Shawn Honsberger
Argyle Street on Apple Music

System Details:
Apple Mac Studio M2 Ultra 24 Core CPU, 60 Core GPU
192GB Unified Memory, 4 TB SSD
Apple iPad Pro M2 (12.9-inch) (6th generation)

I/O + Control Surfaces:
AVID Pro Tools | MTRX Studio (TB3 Native)
AVID Thunderbolt 3 Option Module
RTL (96k): 1.2ms at 32 samples, 1.8ms at 64 samples
RTL (48k): 2.3ms at 32 samples, 3.6ms at 64 samples
AVID S1 EUCON Controller
Elgato Stream Deck XL

Software:
Apple macOS 14.4.1
AVID Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3.1
AVID EUCON 2023.11
AVID Control 2023.11
Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2.0
SoundFlow 5.7.7
Scheps MOMDeck
Apple Logic Pro X 10.8.1

Drivers:
AVID MTRX Studio Firmware 1.1.3.1
AVID HD Driver 2024.3
AVID DADTBDriver CoreAudio 1.1
Old 01-29-2024, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Audiomovers, APL Virtuoso, Dadman, and Aggregates

there's a lot to unpack here.

1. You have to have some way to get to you AirPods that are connected via bluetooth to your Mac. This is why Audiomovers suggests using an aggregate device.

Unless you have a third party bluetooth transmitter that you can connect your AirPods to and then connect a monitor destination to that transmitter from Dadman and "speaker set".

I'm assuming you're not using HDX here and only TB3 to MTRXStudio?

Quote:
I am (currently) using a 7.1.4 bus to an aux for the Audiometers Binaural Renderer for Apple Music, then to an ST output (out to two channels in Dadman) since Pro Tools auto-folds it to ST (let me know if I'm setting that up wrong). This should remain on separate TB3 channel outputs into Dadman correct? Even if it ultimately goes to AirPods? I suppose that perhaps it should just go to a dead end.
I'm assuming you're sending the Audiomovers Spatial output back to DADMan? If you're setting up this source in a Monitor Profile, you're going to need to connect the AirPods as a viable set of "speaker" outputs in DADMan for this to work properly.

Quote:
I am also currently using a 9.1.6 bus to an aux for APL Virtuoso (for a BIN version of 9.1.6 speaker config), then to an ST output (out to two channels in Dadman) since Pro Tools also auto-folds that to ST. This should remain on separate TB channel outputs into Dadman correct as well?
Same concept here. Different source to same destination (AirPods).

There are other methods to get the Apple Spatial render to AirPods from Pro Tools using Aux IO or AAX plug directly. Sonobus would work, as would Ginger Audio Room. Both would bypass any routing done in DADMan so if you want to have switchable speaker sets, I suggest going to DADMAN and have each source as a selectable item. The output of which could be hardwired to a third party BT transmitter unless you had a spare interface laying around in which to bring the audio back into the Mac.

You could also probably use Audiomover's Omnibus to patch all this around to some degree within the box.
Old 01-29-2024, 04:38 PM

Hi its2loud! Thanks for your response.

Sorry for my imprecise language, I am mashing a few different issues together as one.

It makes sense why Audiomovers suggests an aggregate device. Yes, I am using TB3 on the MTRX Studio with no HDX. I suppose that means that I'll need to create an aggregate that contains the MTRX Studio as well as my AirPods Pro headphones (and maybe even my Studio Display speakers) and use that as the Playback Engine. My question regarding that is - will an aggregate device create any instabilities when used as the Playback Engine? Or if the AirPods Pro aren't connected at the moment? I don't want to cause any instability if I can avoid it.

I likely won't send the output of Audiomovers into Dadman, and just send it straight to the AirPods Pro output pair of the aggregate device. I won't always be wearing them, and when I want to hear them I'll put them on. I am just weary of switching my Playback Engine from MTRX Studio to an aggregate, if I could avoid it. However, if there is no problem with stability (in Pro Tools or Dadman), I'll do that and not worry about it. I just don't want to always be switching the PE.

Regarding APL Virtuoso, I'll likely send that from a 9.1.6 re-render into a ST output into Dadman, since I'll monitor those on my main headphones. I won't use this with my AirPods Pro headphones. I'll then use Dadman to switch the input on my main headphones (MM-500s) between the PT BIN, PT ST, and APL Virtuoso ST (BIN) sources.

What do you think about this approach?

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. Thanks, again!

Shawn Honsberger

System Details:

I/O + Control Surfaces:
AVID S1 EUCON Controller
Elgato Stream Deck XL

Software:
Apple macOS 14.4.1
AVID EUCON 2023.11
AVID Control 2023.11
SoundFlow 5.7.7
Scheps MOMDeck
Apple Logic Pro X 10.8.1

Drivers:
AVID HD Driver 2024.3

Last edited by shawnhonsberger; 01-29-2024 at 04:40 PM. Reason: correcting an unclear sentence.
Old 01-30-2024, 07:19 AM
Avid

We demonstrated unlimited Live ReRenders at the NAMM show this weekend which will make these types of workflows significantly more efficient.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-30-2024, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
We demonstrated unlimited Live ReRenders at the NAMM show this weekend which will make these types of workflows significantly more efficient.

best,

Jeff
Looking forward to hearing more Jeff.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-31-2024, 02:21 PM

Thanks, Jeff!

Will an aggregate device create any instabilities when used as the Playback Engine? Or if the AirPods Pro aren't connected at the moment? I don't want to cause any instability if I can avoid it. If switching from the MTRX Studio to the aggregate creates instability, I'll likely monitor the output of the Audiomovers plugin in my MM500s, vs the AirPods (other than once in a while).

Thank you!

Shawn Honsberger

System Details:

I/O + Control Surfaces:
AVID S1 EUCON Controller
Elgato Stream Deck XL

Software:
Apple macOS 14.4.1
AVID EUCON 2023.11
AVID Control 2023.11
SoundFlow 5.7.7
Scheps MOMDeck
Apple Logic Pro X 10.8.1

Drivers:
AVID HD Driver 2024.3
Old 01-31-2024, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I suppose that means that I'll need to create an aggregate that contains the MTRX Studio as well as my AirPods Pro headphones (and maybe even my Studio Display speakers) and use that as the Playback Engine. My question regarding that is - will an aggregate device create any instabilities when used as the Playback Engine? Or if the AirPods Pro aren't connected at the moment? I don't want to cause any instability if I can avoid it.
I DO NOT recommend doing this. Creating an aggregate device with APP is going to be disastrous for numerous reasons I won't go into here.

If you really want to go strait into the APP from Pro Tools, create an AUX IO in Pro Tools when the APP are connected to the Mac. This will work but every time you disconnect the APP, you're going to lose that Aux IO path. There's no way around this that I know.

The easiest way to connect to your APP is to use the standalone Sonobus app. Use and Aux IO path to the Sonobus application and use the APP as the monitoring output of Sonobus. If your APP disconnect, it's no big deal to Pro Tools and you won't get any playback errors, maybe.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:29 AM

Thanks, its2loud! Super helpful to me, I appreciate it.

Shawn Honsberger

System Details:

I/O + Control Surfaces:
AVID S1 EUCON Controller
Elgato Stream Deck XL

Software:
Apple macOS 14.4.1
AVID EUCON 2023.11
AVID Control 2023.11
SoundFlow 5.7.7