Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2023, 09:36 PM

Default Dolby Renderer, HDX, DADMan and Thunderbolt routing

So I've finally gotten into try and re-routing my Atmos template with my Thunderbolt card and I'm just having some issues. My setup is a MTRX2 with the thunderbolt card, HDX2 with a SyncX and the Dolby Renderer on the same machine (7.1.6). Before the thunderbolt card I had the HDX engine selected. I was routing out the Renderer via the Dolby Audio Bride and coming back into ProTools on input via the ProTools Audio Bridge 64. No issues with any of that. Now my main purpose for getting the thunderbolt card was to get as many live re-renders back into protools. I am able to get all my 128 beds and objects to the renderer via the thunderbolt card but I'm having an issue bringing them back into protools and I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm almost positive it has to do with routing in the DADMan. Basically every time I am selecting the thunderbolt card for audio input and audio output in the renderer I am getting feedback so obviously I'm feeding the card back into itself. I can't get into the renderer without patching thunderbolt 1-128 into thunderbolt 1-128. That all seems fine, unless I'm doing something wrong but that is the only way I am seeing my beds and objects in the renderer. So coming back from the renderer is the issue. I'm a bit stumped. If I could get a clearer idea of how to route this that would be extremely helpful.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Dolby Renderer, HDX, DADMan and Thunderbolt routing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
So I've finally gotten into try and re-routing my Atmos template with my Thunderbolt card and I'm just having some issues. My setup is a MTRX2 with the thunderbolt card, HDX2 with a SyncX and the Dolby Renderer on the same machine (7.1.6). Before the thunderbolt card I had the HDX engine selected. I was routing out the Renderer via the Dolby Audio Bride and coming back into ProTools on input via the ProTools Audio Bridge 64. No issues with any of that. Now my main purpose for getting the thunderbolt card was to get as many live re-renders back into protools. I am able to get all my 128 beds and objects to the renderer via the thunderbolt card but I'm having an issue bringing them back into protools and I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm almost positive it has to do with routing in the DADMan. Basically every time I am selecting the thunderbolt card for audio input and audio output in the renderer I am getting feedback so obviously I'm feeding the card back into itself. I can't get into the renderer without patching thunderbolt 1-128 into thunderbolt 1-128. That all seems fine, unless I'm doing something wrong but that is the only way I am seeing my beds and objects in the renderer. So coming back from the renderer is the issue. I'm a bit stumped. If I could get a clearer idea of how to route this that would be extremely helpful.
You should be using channels 1-128 to the Renderer and 129- 256 from the Renderer. Or however many you need. From DADMan you can route 129-256 Thunderbolt to any destination you like.

It’s not like Dante where the same channels #s are two way.
Old 11-25-2023, 03:39 PM

Are you using the configuration Avid suggests in the second half of the video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUwp6m2cjOk

It is roughly something like:

PROTOOLS -> 128x HDX2 -> DADMAN -> 128x TB3 -> RENDERER -> 128x TB3 -> DADMAN -> 128x HDX2 + MONITOR PROFILES.

In DADman, HDX2 outputs should be routed to the corresponding TB3 inputs to get audio into the renderer, and the TB3 outputs from the renderer should be routed to the corresponding HDX2 inputs for your live rerenders. You need to a bit careful of the rerender routing in Pro Tools to ensure it isn't being routed back out of Pro Tools and into the renderer again. Using a NULL bus in Pro Tools can be helpful for this, or outputs that never go to the renderer at all.

From there, you can define all manner of monitor profiles. Renderer Atmos output, live re-render downmixes, etc.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:23 AM

Thanks for posting this. It helped me get over the finish line. The issue I was having was the renderer was constantly feeding back with the thunderbolt selected as input and output. After diving deeper into the renderer there were two things that got changed. I had some leftover routing from by previous Mac Pro Intel and the outputs of the Renderer were not set. Not sure which one was causing the issue but it's now resolved. 128 channels of thunderbolt to the renderer and 128 channels of thunderbolt from the renderer with the HDX playback engine. And although the video was helpful with a lot of pausing and zooming in on DADMan setup I wish there was a bit of a deeper dive in the videos on specific setups and not so much an "all in" video covering all the options of the MTRX2 because there are a million. Either way, things are fully working. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. It helped me get over the finish line. The issue I was having was the renderer was constantly feeding back with the thunderbolt selected as input and output. After diving deeper into the renderer there were two things that got changed. I had some leftover routing from by previous Mac Pro Intel and the outputs of the Renderer were not set. Not sure which one was causing the issue but it's now resolved. 128 channels of thunderbolt to the renderer and 128 channels of thunderbolt from the renderer with the HDX playback engine. And although the video was helpful with a lot of pausing and zooming in on DADMan setup I wish there was a bit of a deeper dive in the videos on specific setups and not so much an "all in" video covering all the options of the MTRX2 because there are a million. Either way, things are fully working. Thanks.
Sure, Jeff Komar sent me this which was helpful to see a lot more things that the video maybe did not have time to cover.

G

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q3m4lnr5f...ource.pdf?dl=0
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-26-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Sure, Jeff Komar sent me this which was helpful to see a lot more things that the video maybe did not have time to cover.

G

You can download this also: It's a 394mb pdf

Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-26-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post

G

You can download this also: It's a 394mb pdf

Some interesting stuff in that guide but should be noted there are features in DADman mentioned that do not exist in the currently released (5.6.9.1) version. So there are things that will only be possible once the new DADman is released.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:09 PM

Interesting. Yes, very great doc to have. Thanks for posting link.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:49 AM
Avid

Yes, indeed. Now that 5.7 is available all of the descriptions to functionality in DADman should be correct. I recently added workflow descriptions for using the Internal Renderer in PT 23.12 with just a laptop or with MTRX Studio for monitoring Apple Spatial in addition to workflows for Omnibus 2 and how and when to use the Adapt to option.

best,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Some interesting stuff in that guide but should be noted there are features in DADman mentioned that do not exist in the currently released (5.6.9.1) version. So there are things that will only be possible once the new DADman is released.
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-04-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Yes, indeed. Now that 5.7 is available all of the descriptions to functionality in DADman should be correct. I recently added workflow descriptions for using the Internal Renderer in PT 23.12 with just a laptop or with MTRX Studio for monitoring Apple Spatial in addition to workflows for Omnibus 2 and how and when to use the Adapt to option.

best,

Jeff
This is a great visual resource to the MTRX systems.
(And lt looks like a lot of work to put it together!)