Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2023, 09:17 AM

Default Unable to update HD Native Firmware?

Trying to use an HD Native box i bought used along with MTRX Studio. I've installed HD Driver (2022.12) but upon Mac startup, get the message that I need to update HD Native Firmware (attached). So i open PT to do this, HD Native doesn't appear as a core audio option, anyone know how I'm can update it's firmware when it doesn't show up in PT or Audio MIDI Setup?

Computer: Mac Mini 2018
PT ver: 2022.12.0
HD driver (DigiDal) (ver 2022.12) shows up active in system report
iLok license for Digilink activated
all cables tested and working
All privacy&security settings set correctly to allow PT to work
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 11.23.05 AM.png (44.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2023, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Unable to update HD Native Firmware?

Have you changed Ventura's security settings to allow kernel extensions to work from macOS recovery mode? (boot into recovery, go to system security, move the security level to the middle one)
Old 08-17-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Have you changed Ventura's security settings to allow kernel extensions to work from macOS recovery mode? (boot into recovery, go to system security, move the security level to the middle one)
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and oddly enough the security setting was on the lowest setting. I moved it up to the middle security level just for kicks and restarted, but no dice.

I noticed in the HD Native extension in the system report (image attached), says "indirect Dependencies Can't Be Resolved" and points to "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily". Searching that brings up threads that talk about Kernel Panic. Searching "Kernel panic HD Native" brings up several threads where other have had similar issues. It seems to come down to needing a firmware update (or wiping the Mac and starting from scratch). Would love to find a way to simply update the HD firmware...seems that may fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 11.27.25 AM.jpg (54.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2023, 04:43 PM

What does DigiTest say about it? Current firmware? I've read of issues with firmware updates if the gap between them is too high. Installing an older one that's newer than what it's running may allow you to go to update to something more recent.

Conversely, are newer versions of PT not available to you? Current HD driver Avid is suggesting is 2023.3. A newer HD driver may present better compatibility with 13.3.1.

Also, what chassis? Is it bus powered?

-Chris
• DADman/Eucon monitoring
• BSS (DAN + 100), QSC DCA 1644, JBL 7 Series
• MTRX Studio // 7.1.4

www.quesound.com
Old 08-17-2023, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmaki View Post
I noticed in the HD Native extension in the system report (image attached), says "indirect Dependencies Can't Be Resolved" and points to "com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily".
This is nothing to worry about. Every single Ventura system shows this on HDN or HDX cards. (First time I saw it, I thought there was an issue but I've now check 6 working systems, and they all have it. And all these systems work 100%)
Old 08-18-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewk View Post
What does DigiTest say about it? Current firmware? I've read of issues with firmware updates if the gap between them is too high. Installing an older one that's newer than what it's running may allow you to go to update to something more recent.

Conversely, are newer versions of PT not available to you? Current HD driver Avid is suggesting is 2023.3. A newer HD driver may present better compatibility with 13.3.1.

Also, what chassis? Is it bus powered?

-Chris
Thanks for your thoughts Chris! Not sure how I hadn't found out about Digitest until now! I disconnected the mini digilink cables and ran it through the test. It's powered by TB2 (to TB3 on the mac) currently. I did the firmware update and rebooted but still nothing in Audio MIDI Setup. Attached are the screen shots from each tab of Digitest. Any thoughts on these results or where to check next? I haven't bought into the annual subscription plan and it expired in Feb so this is the most current I can get. Thanks so much!
Old 08-18-2023, 01:21 PM

The DigiLink license is *not* required in Pro Tools 2022.12 for DigiLink interfaces.

And since you are making that error... you are using Pro Tools 2022.12 *Ultimate* right? HD Native will not work with in Pro Tools Studio, Artist or Intro. Although if working correctly you will have CoreAudio access to HD Native from non-Pro Tools DAWs.

DigiTest shows nothing connected. Is the MTRX studio connected properly? You won't have anything in AudioMIDI setup until you have the MTRX connected (and it shows up in Digitest). If the MTRX Studio is connected and not showing up in Digitest... then suspect DigiLink cables.

--

Editorial opinion: I would be running away from not towards HDN interfaces now, end of sale life, fragile software and poorly supported by Avid, unless you needed to match another room/rig or needed video frame edge sync etc. you likely do better with other CoreAudio interfaces.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-18-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The DigiLink license is *not* required in Pro Tools 2022.12 for DigiLink interfaces.

And since you are making that error... you are using Pro Tools 2022.12 *Ultimate* right? HD Native will not work with in Pro Tools Studio, Artist or Intro. Although if working correctly you will have CoreAudio access to HD Native from non-Pro Tools DAWs.

DigiTest shows nothing connected. Is the MTRX studio connected properly? You won't have anything in AudioMIDI setup until you have the MTRX connected (and it shows up in Digitest). Connected and not showing up in Digitest... suspect DigiLink canles.

--

Editorial opinion: I would be running away from not towards HDN interfaces now, end of sale life, fragile software and poorly supported by Avid, unless you needed to match another room/rig or needed video frame edge sync etc. you likely do better with other CoreAudio interfaces.

Thanks Darryl. Fuuuu.....Didn't know it had to be ultimate to run HD Native. Ugh...MTRX Studio wasn't plugged in for these tests, but ran separate tests with it plugged with and it showed up in (I think) AvidAudioServer.

I agree with your comment about running away from HD Native...i only went this way because I found one used for $300 so figured that'd be an inexpensive way to get MTRX Studio up and running. The other option is to get the new TB3 card that goes into MTRX Studio.

Do you know if I need to have Ultimate to use MTRX Studio at all...or is that just for HD Native? If not, I'll just sell HD Native and get the TB3 card.

Thanks again...
Old 08-18-2023, 02:06 PM

Oh well I had that bad feeling reading this thread. It's all stupid isn't it.

I'd absolutely be thinking about the Thunderbolt connection option as well.

/* scratch the asking bit since Jeff answered below, but VK is still where I'd buy the Thunderbolt card */ I don't know for sure if the Studio with Thunderbolt needs Ultimate or not, and I don't own either so would not want to promise this. What I'd do is pick up the phone and call a rep at Vintage King and ask, if they say it's not needed then buy the adapter from them (with option to return if indeed they are wrong... which I do not expect, I've seen nothing but fantastic sales help from VK).
Old 08-18-2023, 02:06 PM
Avid

MTRX Studio could be used via Dante or TB3 which would not require a Pro Tools Ultimate license.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ