Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2021, 12:01 AM

Default MTRX Studio/HDX - no monitor sound until PT started

Hi

Apologies in advance - I'm a MTRX Studio newbie.

Setup: 2 x MTRX Studio attached to 1 x HDX. HDX port 1 connected to MTRX 1 Pri/Pri. HDX port 2 connected to MTRX 2 Pri/Pri. Latest firmware on MTRXs. Running PT Ultimate 2021.6 with HD driver. MacOS 10.15.7. PT Dock with latest firmware. Avid Control latest app. Monitors connected to dedicated monitor outs on MTRX 1. MTRXs connected to GbE switch along with Mac and PT Dock. Avid Control connected via Wi-Fi. Mac audio (DVS 44.1kHz) connected to Dante ports 1/2 on MTRX 1 (routing setup via Dante Controller). DADman has a basic stereo config including monitor profile (Enable Monitor ticked) - CR, HP1/2, with EuCon enabled - with correct MTRX unit selected. MTRXs using loop sync - MTRX 1 source internal/output word clock base, term 75ohm, MTRX 2 source Loop Sync/output word clock base, term 75ohm, both MTRXs sample rate 44.1kHz adapt to internal. Dante sync: MTRX 1 sample rate free/preferred master, MTRX 2 sample rate Follow/not preferred master.

I start the MTRXs, boot the Mac, log in, DADman starts automatically and loads the last setting and profile. The Avid Control Monitoring page (EuCon) can control all monitoring settings/sources/outputs including DigiLink, Dante, HPs and the main monitors.

I play some Mac audio desktop through DVS to MTRX1. In DADman I can see the audio being routed to the stereo monitor out and the HPs. The meters in DADman indicate the signal is passing to the MTRX 1 monitor channel and the HP channels - and that the output levels should be good. I can hear the audio on the HPs. But nothing on the monitors when I switch to them despite the meters telling me a signal should be there.

Then, I start PT and the main monitors start working - switching between PT DigiLink and Dante sources. Then I close PT and the main monitor continues behave as expected until I reboot.

I removed one of the MTRXs and reconfigured. Same problem. Swapped the units. Still the same. Changed cables. etc.

I suspect I am doing something very silly.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Rich
Old 06-27-2021, 03:32 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio/HDX - no monitor sound until PT started

I have had similar issues caused by sample rate mismatches, though I can't recall if I noticed anything metering. Booting into Pro Tools might be changing the sample rate to match DVS. Have you tried restarting, then toggled your DADman and DVS sample rates to see if anything clicks into place?

Unused groups in DADman monitor profiles can also do slightly strange things. There is a "Remove unused groups" button on the bottom left of the Monitor Profile Configuration window.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:17 AM

Rich,

I have a question using multiple MTRX Studios.

Besides your weird issue, do you have a smooth experience with these units? According Avid PT Reference Guide 2021.6 only *ONE* unit is supported in one single system, similar to HD OMNI (compared to 12 MTRX units with 3 cards.)

When in PT, can you freely route around both MTRX Studios? My mind is racing lately about my options. I'd like to upgrade my system to 1 HDX + MTRX Studio, but I need at least 16 analog I/O for console + 12 for Atmos speakers. MTRX is great but too expensive for me at the moment (~17K.) So, I am scratching my head over my options like MTRX Studio + some other standalone converter over Dante/Adat etc. But, of course, multiple Studios are more versatile, more integrated.

Can you (or anyone) confirm full flawless operation?

Re: your weird issue. Have you tried to start over a fresh and *simplified* Monitor profile in DADman?

Either, save your profile with a new name for testing and trace back by reducing one by one, e.g. delete EUCon etc.

Or, save your profile and switch to a new empty profile, so, the unit is set to proper initial state, close DADman (eventually reboot,) then back in DADman create a simple Stereo CR and work your way from here.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I have had similar issues caused by sample rate mismatches, though I can't recall if I noticed anything metering. Booting into Pro Tools might be changing the sample rate to match DVS. Have you tried restarting, then toggled your DADman and DVS sample rates to see if anything clicks into place?

Unused groups in DADman monitor profiles can also do slightly strange things. There is a "Remove unused groups" button on the bottom left of the Monitor Profile Configuration window.
If a sample rate mismatch is indeed the problem, it could be how macOS is setting the sample rate for the HDX/HD Driver. Without Pro Tools launched, check the sample rate of HDX in Audio Midi Setup. macOS likes to set the HDX/HD Driver hardware to max sample rate by default, so 192kHz. Set that to 48k or 96k, whatever your standard working sample rate is, and see if that helps.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:20 AM

QUESTION, sorry may be a bit off topic, for all: how can I easily tell what sample rate the MTRX is using when playing ? When I play a 96Khz or 192Khz file through Tidal or Pine Player the Dadman app just says 44.1Khz. ((synch source = internal, and Adapt to = Digilink))

Originally Posted by LDS View Post
<<I have had similar issues caused by sample rate mismatches, though I can't recall if I noticed anything metering. Booting into Pro Tools might be changing the sample rate to match DVS. Have you tried restarting, then toggled your DADman and DVS sample rates to see if anything clicks into place?>>

Cheers!
H
Old 06-27-2021, 08:39 AM
Avid

For CoreAudio, go to Applications > AudioMIDISetup > Audio and click on your HDX or HDN in the list to interrogate the sample rate. Also, this likely defaults to 192k which is not ideal. Set it to your most common rate like 48k, etc.

Here's a slew of additional information that is helpful on all things MTRX Studio:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/md2ktxtuy0...ource.pdf?dl=0

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-29-2021, 03:08 AM

This was spot on, Jeff. It help me a lot. Thx.

Avid should put this Quick Reference/Cheat Sheet prominently on MTRX(Studio) pages to download.