Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 PM

Default Big Problem: Studio Recording People are NOT "Engineers"

I have a big problem. I keep hearing the word "Engineer" thrown around carelessly in the industry and art of audio production, but never in my lifetime in both observance and/or participation of mixing, recording, and mastering procedures have i noticed anything even remotely resembling engineering in such environments - EVER.

I mean, I can understand describing someone like Les Paul, or Tom Dowd - those who innovated the multi-track method as also being engineers, as they did the designs and real "engineering" - but that is WHEY unlike all these studio people claiming to be engineers.

Where did people who craft recordings get this idea to use the word engineering? Straight out of the crack pipe? Its the most arrogant use of a word in history. At least certainly which I have ever heard thus far.

Engineers are people who design and construct engines or machines. Can somebody please fill me in on what this has to do with people who make audio recordings?