Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-18-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Pro Tools Power User Editing - The Skunk Works Project

The first emergency macro script we need to get out the door for PT 8.0 is one that fixes the slow horizontal scrolling when using shift+mouse wheel. The horizontal scrolling is so slow now, it makes PT 8 unusable if the shift+mouse wheel is essential to your work flow. Download it here:

PT 8 Horizontal Scroll Fix 1.0 (Compatible with HD, LE & M-Powered on XP/Vista/Windows 7)

Here is a video that does an A/B comparison of the horizontal scrolling speed between 7.4 and 8.0 using the script.

(direct video download link)

Unzip, double click to run the script and start scrolling again with speed. To exit the script, go to the system tray, right click the script icon and select exit. I matched the horizontal scrolling speed of 7.4 so you're in safe hands now.

My next venture is to sort out that new vertical scrolling that snaps to the top of every track. Though the snap style can be handy "sometimes", it's getting a modifier for fine control without snapping which would be used more in many workflows.

Any other requests?

Anyways, enjoy your rediscovered scrolling speed. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Shane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRASHER version 3(Compatible with HD, LE & M-Powered on XP/Vista/Windows 7)

Created by Steve(guitardom).

This Skunk Works utility will delete DAE Prefs, Digidesign Application Folder and all Digidesign Databases. Read the "READ ME!!!" before running the app. It was created to resolve some of the current problems when using the Digi Tech Support Utility.

Shane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is very much an "alpha" version of a few of the mouse over editing shortcut keys:

Mouse Over Editing - The Basics. (Compatible with HD, LE & M-Powered on XP/Vista/Windows 7)

It's pretty simple. Hover your mouse over an audio region etc, and hit the key to perform the command. There's no need to select tools or place the Selector tool on the track. Commands Keyboard Focus(Ctrl+Alt+1) must be on, though that may change down the line. Shift+Esc will toggle the mouse over commands on/off. The system tray icon will turn red to indicate the off status. To exit the script, right click the icon in the system tray and select Exit. The new shortcuts are remapped to the original Pro Tools Commands Keyboard Focus shortcuts so there is nothing new to learn. Here are the following mouse over shortcuts:
  • A - Trim start to insertion.
  • S - Trim end to insertion.
  • D - Fade to start.
  • F - Fade. Hold "F", move the mouse over a cut, then release "F" for the x-fade to be performed. This will also work with fade in and fade out though "Fade to start" and "Fade to end will be faster". I'll probably get rid of this one as it's not very intuitive. The regular click+Drag then "F" is the same amount of actions.
  • G - Fade to end.
  • B - Separate
  • Delete Key - Deletes any region the mouse is over.
Here is the old video demonstrating these mouse over shortcuts that started it all:

Mouse Over Editing - GIF animation.

Mouse Over Editing - QuickTime version.

The macro script works with PT 7.4-8.0. I havent tested it on 7.3.

Have fun, and leave some feedback.

Shane

"Look Ma, I can see them move!"

We can now, finally, see the grid lines behind a transparent waveform in PT 8 but, it would be nice if we could actually graphically "see" the waveform when we drag it around using the grabber tool. Instead, the waveform just vanishes and we're left with a guessing game for certain editing workflows. Once you actually use this, the value of it kicks in pretty fast and you'll wonder how you've ever got by editing without it. This has been a long one in the making.

I like taking the guessing game out of certain editing procedures.

(QT Download)

I'm using a modifier and the scroll wheel in the above example. A few more things to get this sorted out using the Grabber tool, then I'll post the script. It's definitely a gem to use.

Shane

Separate Regions At Transients/On Grid. (Compatible with HD, LE & M-Powered on XP/Vista/Windows 7)
  • S+T will Separate Regions at Transients on all tracks under the edit selection.
  • S+G will Separate Regions on Grid on all tracks under the edit selection.
Mouse Over Separate Regions At Transients/On Grid. (Compatible with HD, LE & M-Powered on XP/Vista/Windows 7)

This is the original mouse over version originated by and created for kris75. This one's for the experimental diehards.
  • Hold S+T, move the mouse over a track or group of tracks then release S+T.
  • Hold S+G, move the mouse over a track or group of tracks then release S+G.
Shift+Esc will toggle the shortcut commands on/off. The system tray icon will turn red to indicate the bypass on/off status. To exit the script, right click the icon in the system tray and select Exit. "S" is being used as the modifier key in these two shortcuts. To change the Pre-Separate Amount value prior, make a random selection in a region then Edit > Separate Region > On Grid, enter your msec value in the pop up window, click OK, then Ctrl+z. The entered value will now be the default.

Here is the old GIF animation demonstrating this.

Shane

Scroll Wheel Automation Playlist View Selection. (Compatible with HD, LE & M-Powered on XP/Vista/Windows 7)
  • Control+Start+Scroll Wheel will change the Automation Playlist View on all tracks under the edit selection. Shift+Esc will toggle the shortcut key on/off.
This adds scroll wheel support to the traditional PT command Control+Start+Left/Right Arrow keys.

This one will need an update but many requested it. If you use the traditional Control+Start+Alt+Mouse Over MIDI/Instrument Track+Scroll Wheel, to scroll the notes display, you'll need to toggle this script off. I'll have to update this so it doesn't interfere.

Scroll Wheel AP View video.

QuickTime Download version.

Shane

*Drum sample layering/augmentation in development.

...a faster approach.

Shane

(The original post that started this madness.)

Anyone interested in this stuff? If there is one thing I cant stand, it's mousing around selecting tools. Even selecting tools via shorcuts is just "so yesterday" and is way to slow for me. I call this Mouse Over Editing. What's that? Basically you hover your mouse over any region, hit a key, and your edit is done. What does this do for me? Well, how about early lunch breaks, getting thru projects a gazillion times faster while maintaining very high quality, and finishing stuff faster which makes my clients who pay per hour super happy and they always come back.

Here is an example of me doing some very random and fast edits on alot of regions and you'll notice I'm not selecting or using any tools for my cuts, trims, fades and deletes etc:

Mouse Over Editing QuickTime Example.

Mouse Over Editing Example.

Alternative link.

If anyones interested, I'm willing to share the love. If not, then I'll keep these gems to myself and watch you guys suffer a wee bit.

I have a few painfully coded custom scripts I wrote that take some of the "Limited" out of Pro Tools LE. It is the 21st Century after all, and some methods just have to go.

**Edit(July 27, 08). Here are many more example videos(using scripts) that have been posted throughout this thread:

Mouse Over Quick Swipe Comping Quicktime version.

Mouse Over Quick Swipe Comping GIF animation.

http://shup.com/Shup/10400/QS.gif

Which Takes are used in the Lead Comp and Double Comp?

MO Fade 2.

MO Fade GIF animation.

Mouse Over Separate Regions at Transient Quicktime version.

Mouse Over Separate Regions at Transient GIF animation.

Make Tracks Inactive and Hide. Quicktime version.

Make Tracks Inactive and Hide. GIF Animation.

Playlist Selection Quicktime version.

Playlist Selection GIF animation.

Mouse Over PDC QuickTime version.

Mouse Over PDC GIF animation.

Hide and make inactive QT example.

Hide and make inactive GIF animation.

Quick Automation Acces QT example.

Quick Automation Access GIF animation.

Quick Automation Playlists selection QT version.

Quick Automation Playlist selection GIF animation.

20th Century Pro Tools Blind Region Moving-QT version.

20th Century Pro Tools Blind Region Moving-Animated GIF.

21st Century Skunk Works Region Moving-QT Version.

21st Century Skunk Works Region Moving-Animated GIF.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-18-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Power User Editing

Well, after trying these 'Mouse-Overs' first hand, these are killer!

filosofem
Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Well, after trying these 'Mouse-Overs' first hand, these are killer!

filosofem
Ah yes...my very first Beta Tester speaks and breaks the terms of his Beta test agreement. This calls for some discipline I think....

If I see this on a Torrent site...I know who did it.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-18-2007, 02:25 AM

Oops!

filosofem
Old 10-18-2007, 03:40 AM

Well, it impresses the hell out of me. Is it some kind of Hallowe'en magic hoodoo?
Old 10-18-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Well, it impresses the hell out of me. Is it some kind of Hallowe'en magic hoodoo?
All very real. My one Beta Tester can attest to it. I'll try and complete it on the weekend. Still needs some refining.

Shane

Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 AM

That's really bizarre to watch there Mr. Mindfreak.

Gotta go check the torrent sites...

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 10-18-2007, 12:49 PM

WOWWW Shan !!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
All very real. My one Beta Tester can attest to it.
Ahhh... very real, indeed!

Shane's been working diligently over the last few weeks building this script with many a late night Skype call showing off his wares.

The checks in the mail, right, Shane?

filosofem
Old 10-18-2007, 07:10 PM

pretty slick stuff shane! get the idea from reaper????

i am a busy fellow and more than interested in anything to speed up the editing! you working on an automatic mixer to???!!

let me know, and off topic a buddy of mine is trying to email you about a problem with his tyan.

could this code editing be a sign of some possible user programed upgrades in other areas??........... i know your mind is rolling thinking about possibilities!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10