Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Any TDM hardware users able to run 11 as CoreAudio/ASIO?

There was some discussion about this. Since TDM hardware is not compatible with PT11, some people were wondering if PT11 (HD or non HD) would simply see it as a 3rd party Core Audio or ASIO interface, since it wouldn't be recognized automatically as Avid hardware like compatible HD hardware normally would.

Now that 11 is out, is there any TDM users that have tried this? If it works, it would give some longer life to TDM users, though in a more limited way.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Any TDM hardware users able to run 11 as CoreAudio/ASIO?

I don't see the Avid interface (connected to an Accel core card) as an option under Playback Engine in PT 11. It's there in 10, obviously, but seems to be entirely unusable in 11.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:39 PM

Unfortunately it cannot be.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharath View Post
Unfortunately it cannot be.
Is this a technical impossibility or a commercial decision? It would be useful being able to run PT 11 with Digi Core Audio (ie: through our Digi or Avid interfaces) even is this means loosing the HD functions and or having just 8 Input/Outputs.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique Brethes View Post
Is this a technical impossibility or a commercial decision? It would be useful being able to run PT 11 with Digi Core Audio (ie: through our Digi or Avid interfaces) even is this means loosing the HD functions and or having just 8 Input/Outputs.
+10000000000000000000

I was saying this a year and a half ago. The upgrade to 11 for many of us HD users is going to cost well over $10k (for HDX, interfaces, software upgrades). It would be nice to at least have some means of running PT11 as we save the cash to move over.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 06-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Technical.

There are quite a few issues in the underlying code to support this mode (more so on Windows than on OSX). Couple of those issues needed a lot more development/testing effort and even after all that still end up with a (potentially unstable) 8 channel I/O.

Somebody above my pay grade made a (not so easy) decision to keep the focus on other things that went into PT 11.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 AM

I ask the Avid suits to reconsider and authorize rewriting some code and fast. For the hundreds (thousands?) of Accel studios that are supported by visiting engineers, it's impossible to get rid of their Accel cards in Mac Pros anytime soon and run Pro Tools 11 in a real sense, unless you can bear a financial mini-catastrophe. Here's why:

1) Visiting engineers usually have PT sessions with some plugins that are not AAX' ed yet. These Accel studios 100% cannot go to HD Native or HDX anytime soon. They MUST keep Accel to keep their clients.

2) You cannot run PT 11 co-install through your gorgeous sounding, world-class Avid HD multichannel interface using your Mac Pro with the Accel cards installed, even in 8 channel Coreaudio mode like Logic does.

3) Therefore, if you want to use Pro Tools 11 AND maintain 8 channels of world-class IO naturally integrated into your system, you must buy a redundant super-expensive Firewire or PCIe multi-channel interface system like Apogee or UA to run PT11 through and do all the expensive patchbay wiring work to install/integrate it..…over and over FOR EACH OF YOUR ROOMS! Or sell off your IMHO damn-near-perfect-sounding Avid HD IO and replace it with a high end Apogee interface and remove an Accel card (big ouch) to put in an Apogee PCIe interface card in your Mac Pro PCIe slot. Etc. The other option involves having one Mac Pro with Accel and another Mac Pro with HDX (per each room!) sharing that room's video monitor and Avid HD IO. Far worse even.

Is there something incorrect above and the situation is not as significant to so many pro studios as it seems? Can anyone here suggest a realistic workaround that I am overlooking? (Please please help, we have three Accel rooms!)

"Mr Freeze" himself has now tried PT 11 and I think it's is nothing less than the greatest thing since PT III. It's a must-have upgrade for VI guys and others for many reasons. The new technologies are stunning and there's so many huge new technical advancements inn PT11. Please Avid, help us faithful Accel studios.

Last edited by relaxo; 06-28-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Ridiculous!

F-U, Avid. Make PTHD10 work with PTHD11, but you can't ****** use it?!?!?!

I'm done with Avid. Selling my stock and finding another platform.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bharath View Post
Technical.

There are quite a few issues in the underlying code to support this mode (more so on Windows than on OSX). Couple of those issues needed a lot more development/testing effort and even after all that still end up with a (potentially unstable) 8 channel I/O.

Somebody above my pay grade made a (not so easy) decision to keep the focus on other things that went into PT 11.
It does sound like a commercial decision rather than a technical one, and an unfortunate one as it will irritate a lot of pros who welcome PT11 but need to keep working on PT10 while the plug-in issues and bugs are being sorted out.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 AM

It will be at least a year before PT11 is ready for day in day out production work. (...bugs, not enough plugs and so on.) Your HD rig will be viable for quite some time.

OTOH, getting a PTHD11 upgrade means you can play around with 11 on a laptop or on your big rig with a Core Audio interface. Oh, wait - except for using your HD setup in Core Audio.

That must have taken a bit of work to cripple HD's Core Audio just enough to prevent its use in PT11. Well done Avid!

Fortunately, there are workarounds that are significantly less expensive than trading in your HD cards. I am considering picking up a Native HD card on EBay, keeping my HD rig for the heavy lifting until PT11 is professionally viable.

HDX is lagging behing HD Native (imo). I'm looking for an HDX replacement or serious card revision within 3 years.

Best...H