Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Play/Pause issue driving me nuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanguidry View Post

If digi/Avid did the following they would be king of the hill again and I would forgive them:

1.ADC in LE
2.Resolve Play issue
3.16 adat interface in 003/004.
4.16 channel quality AD/DA in LE format with a new 004 native LE.

Then there are other issues with Pro Tools 8.0 cs3 that I've only read about.

One would think that digi could make its own hardware and software work better than anything else, but it seems somewhere deep in the original software structure there is a crippling chain of code that just seems impossible for them to wrangle into a working partnership.
I assume you are not without allies on this.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-17-2009, 11:46 AM

And what are your suggestions to other users that feel they would like to play an active roll in helping to make this a better company?

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-17-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
And what are your suggestions to other users that feel they would like to play an active roll in helping to make this a better company?
If I were CEO of Avid/digidesign I would come to terms with the eventual obsolescence of TDM/HD architecture. If I wait for the inevitable negative cash flow resulting from its eventual demise, it will be too late to turn the company around. I would focus on Native platform and code from scratch. I would be surprised if there weren't internal disucussions and documents within Avid regarding this exact path.

Alternatively, abandon Native and LE altogether and commit to HD/TDM but make it much less expensive and free of digidesign hardware exclusivity.
Collections, Personal Injury, Entertainment Law
myspace.com/studio89rocks
Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
If I were CEO of Avid/digidesign I would come to terms with the eventual obsolescence of TDM/HD architecture. If I wait for the inevitable negative cash flow resulting from its eventual demise, it will be too late to turn the company around. I would focus on Native platform and code from scratch. I would be surprised if there weren't internal disucussions and documents within Avid regarding this exact path.

Alternatively, abandon Native and LE altogether and commit to HD/TDM but make it much less expensive and free of digidesign hardware exclusivity.
Even though most of this is a reasonable if not inarguable answer to a very good question, it is not the question I meant to ask.
I was referring to an active role that we the users may take in helping to prompt the actions you have elaborated upon.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
eventual obsolescence of TDM/HD architecture.
It is actually obselete, at least the actual DSP chips.... that's the reason TDM has never had any overhaul requiring competely new cards or hardware. If they incorporated todays chip designs and technology, TDM would be a serious monster of a platform. If you want more power now, expect to buy more accel cards; and they are by no means cheap. Having 10 inserts on PT8, I'm almost positive, is for marketing reason that an actual upgrade. Having 2x the inserts per track means you will burn through more DSP quicker on TDM for those plugins and ADC involved with it, meaning that you'll need to call Digi to buy another card chock load of DSP; thus spending more money. I could be wrong... but as soon as I saw that new feature, hat was my feeling (since why else would it be a feature held out for so long?).

Right now the incentive is the keep TDM alive, even though it's dying a slow painful death now that multi-core technology is modestly affordable and accessable to the masses.

On another note, I have been running strong for 3 days straight now without SpeedStep on, multiple mixes, not a single PPI or buffer error has surfaced.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 PM

Who knows, maybe there is a "non-x86" complient suite coming up here as well soon - leave backward compatibility and move forward

Jokes aside, something should happen in some not too distant future - it smells so anyways.

Cheers,
- J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 06-17-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StavrosSound View Post
TDM has never had any overhaul requiring competely new cards or hardware.
Actually, it has had a couple of those over the years. Started out NuBus in the early to mid 1990s. Then there were MIX cards in the late '90s. Then the HD Accel stuff, which is now, what, 6 years old? That's about how long each of the previous versions was available. Time for the Next Big Thing.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Actually, it has had a couple of those over the years. Started out NuBus in the early to mid 1990s. Then there were MIX cards in the late '90s. Then the HD Accel stuff, which is now, what, 6 years old? That's about how long each of the previous versions was available. Time for the Next Big Thing.
...which is confronting reality and going all native.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Digi/Avid savior...???? announce in 9/09 when all the other 'new' DAWs drop that it has its' own new 'NATIVE' re-write that has been in the works for 3+ yrs. PT9!!!! anythin' less than that is business as usual.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM

So after Googling "native" I don't really get you guys use. Please expound.