Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Re: why is protools so spoiled in terms of it's OS enviroment and hardware profile ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegadark View Post
So, I have a question, and maybe it's been answered before, but I didn't see it anywhere.

What exact system specs does Digidesign use for their testing machines? Like for instance, what specific motherboard, processor, HD's, bios and windows settings, etc on an actual real machine is known to work 100% in the Digidesign "labs" on specific versions of protools?

I know you don't want to sound like you prefer any brand of any component or specific component part number over another, and that's probably why specifics like this are not listed, but it would most definately be extremely useful information. I'm actually kind of curious how up to date these machines are, and what kind of real performance they get out of them (in terms of protools RTAS plugin counts and track counts and system overall responsiveness.)

Is this info actually listed somewhere? If so, I have never seen it. I have read the compatability page who knows how many times, but it is very unspecific.
Digitech has mentioned they can't post this for liability reasons.
It's understandable and correct - people will sue for pretty much anything.

What a wonderful world....

Although they do say what chipsets etc. they've tested on and work.

Err my bad, its the user systems they won't publish for liability reasons.
Carry on and ignore Wango plz...

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Re: why is protools so spoiled in terms of it's OS enviroment and hardware profile ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wango View Post

Thats really too bad, but yet what I figured. To think how much irritation could be saved if this info were to be "released".
Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegadark View Post
Thats really too bad, but yet what I figured. To think how much irritation could be saved if this info were to be "released".
You will find this info on the DUC. read the first page of the 'best core 2' and 'best core i7' threads.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:55 AM

So what cards could we buy (sans the HD) to improve performance, and stop these interrupt messages? Any such card also exist for laptops?
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 03-14-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano111 View Post
You will find this info on the DUC. read the first page of the 'best core 2' and 'best core i7' threads.

But no where does it say by Digidesign "this is what we use here at Digidesign", which is what I am referring to.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 AM

It seems like I remember them listing tested MoBo and CPU combos up to the Quads coming out. Then nothing on them.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-14-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
The Pro Tools engine is based on TDM architecture, which is all real-time. It's sensitive because interruptions to real-time threads throw everything out of sync, and errors occur. Other apps aren't as sensitive to this as they are based on 'highest priority' threads and they're willing to make other compromises to avoid errors.

On Windows this is especially problematic (real-time threading) because there are SO many variables and much less rigorous driver testing on the part of manufacturers. Everything from the motherboard BIOS to the sound card or NIC drivers to the video card driver can all have an effect on real-time threads by interrupting them. I won't even get into the havoc caused by all the background apps that typical PC's have running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
If given a choice would you base the Pro Tools engine on real-time threading or highest priority?

Regards.
filosofem
quite an interesting read isnt it filo?? i wonder if other audio apps are meant in the "other apps" phrase or just apps in general. kind of brings some pc issues into perspective. so could pro tools be a better app if it wasnt based on real time due to the tdm arhcitecture for le users?? what sacrafices would have to be made to make it "high priority"??

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-14-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
It seems like I remember them listing tested MoBo and CPU combos up to the Quads coming out. Then nothing on them.
as far as we could tell they never touched the opterons and not sure of anything once intel introduced the "q" series processors. another factor that has been mentioned is they were all intel in house. that was found by little issues we would get on amd's that would have to be resolved with cs updates.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wango View Post

Err my bad, its the user systems they won't publish for liability reasons.
Carry on and ignore Wango plz...
Why not publish and put a disclaimer (or what the english word is) - don't try this at home - or whatever.

Just publish it - information and knowledge keeps things progressing ????

Cheers,
- J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 03-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobia View Post
Why not publish and put a disclaimer (or what the english word is) - don't try this at home - or whatever.

Just publish it - information and knowledge keeps things progressing ????

Cheers,
- J
The computer build stickies in the forums are pretty much exactly that. Making these stickies are saying, "We know these work, we support the builds...but we cant give them technical support or be liable for them"

The computer build stickies have saved Digi a ton of resources over the years. The stickies are also responsible for selling alot of PT hardware over the years.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit