Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2009, 01:39 AM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyAnalogue View Post
Guys,

Another very good app. - if a little scary, to begin with - is Autoruns. This has made a huge difference to my stability, and boot times.

Just be careful!

I'm doing some final testing, as I don't want to post results on an unfinished machine, but I might have broken a record

Oh, another thing - I've been using the Asus Triton 88 for some time now, on both my i7 and my Quad. For those doing a new build, this is definitely worth a look. My i7 idles at 29c, and my Quad at 21c... it supports both sockets and it's a beast of a cooler. It's saved me about 10% in temps over the Noctua and the Scythe.
thanks for the tip on the cooler. it's the only part of the build i can afford!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 AM

Hey guys!

I am ordering all the parts I need. What is wrong with the heatsink and fan that comes with the i7 as stock? I noticed all of you buying the coolmaster for 50bucks.. is it really necessary? I rather buy an extra hard drive with the money.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
One nit pick thing with the Royal Noir is to turn off the "Show shadows under menus" if you're using Yz Shadow. The extra dark shadow from the combination of both under the menu borders is a bit to much at times in my opinion compared to the rest of the UI. This might also be the case with the Zune theme but I haven't looked yet.

Speking of GUI's...is the old PT look of even say 6.9 really THAT bad? Funny how a new windows border/title bar style and color that suits the PT UI better, along with a simple drop shadow for some depth with a wee bit of transparency, can even bring an old look to life. It almost has that new "dark theme" trend now that everybody seems to be doing these days.

It also looks like my Linux desktop now.

Shane
Anything other than than Windows 95 graphics is expressly forbidden. Eye candy and hardware support is for Mac only. If you insist on making PTLE a smooth, powerful and pleasant Windows experience you will be banned. Go disable all that stuff and insert some time adjusters and start to nudge things back into line. And no ATA for you.

Some people.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
Hey guys!

I am ordering all the parts I need. What is wrong with the heatsink and fan that comes with the i7 as stock? I noticed all of you buying the coolmaster for 50bucks.. is it really necessary? I rather buy an extra hard drive with the money.
For me it was about noise. I need a silent machine and small, fast-spinning fans are noisy. The Noctua cooler has very quiet fans and lots of surface area on the heat sink to reduce the need for high airflow.

Other folks are probably worried about high temps from overclocking.

I'm sure the stock heatsink will work fine if you don't care about fan noise or overclocking.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_C View Post
For me it was about noise. I need a silent machine and small, fast-spinning fans are noisy. The Noctua cooler has very quiet fans and lots of surface area on the heat sink to reduce the need for high airflow.

Other folks are probably worried about high temps from overclocking.

I'm sure the stock heatsink will work fine if you don't care about fan noise or overclocking.
Thanks for the input. Even if I overclock it, wouldn't the stocker be enough to run the i7 safely? I mean these chips should handle high temps right? or they become unstable at certain temp?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:22 AM

With a decent cooler its going to be easy to OC and still keep it cool and quiet.

The stock cooler's fan will ramp up earlier and even at full speed will not be able to reach the same OC freq.

Even if it can handle the heat, a CPU that runs constantly at lower temps will likely live longer than the same CPU at higher temps. Same goes to RAM and any component for that matter.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 AM

I'm having an issue with my system.

I'm not sure if it PT related or just the machine.

I don't use the machine for anything other than PT.

So I can only say that the problem has only happened during PT use.

3 or 4 times now after launching PTle 7.1 MPT and getting into a session the machine will freeze.

No mouse, no keyboard, no nothing. Frozen. I have to reset it to get going again.

And so far resetting the machine has worked and the problem has yet to re-occur after this initial freeze.

But I usually turn off the machine when not in use so every time I get into my studio the machine is just freshly started up.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this?
Command/8
PTLE 7.1 MPT
www.clearspotrecording.com
Old 05-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
Hey guys!

i read tests on the stock cpu fan and they are not quite up to par. as everyone says, they are noisy and do not do a very good job and not recomended at all for oc'ing. the cooler is a under rated part in my opinion. the life of your cpu and other parts and dependant on it doing its job effectively and efficiently.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0w View Post
I'm having an issue with my system.

I'm not sure if it PT related or just the machine.

I don't use the machine for anything other than PT.

So I can only say that the problem has only happened during PT use.

3 or 4 times now after launching PTle 7.1 MPT and getting into a session the machine will freeze.

No mouse, no keyboard, no nothing. Frozen. I have to reset it to get going again.

And so far resetting the machine has worked and the problem has yet to re-occur after this initial freeze.

But I usually turn off the machine when not in use so every time I get into my studio the machine is just freshly started up.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this?
give me a parts list and double check your vid drivers especially, make sure they are up to date. also are you saying pt 7.1 and the 7.1 mptk or a more recent version of pt and the 7.1 mptk??

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Anything other than than Windows 95 graphics is expressly forbidden. Eye candy and hardware support is for Mac only. If you insist on making PTLE a smooth, powerful and pleasant Windows experience you will be banned. Go disable all that stuff and insert some time adjusters and start to nudge things back into line. And no ATA for you.

Some people.
But 6.9 looks so good now. Instead of working you can just look at it and go defend it on audio forums with a cult like mindset of a true fan boy.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit