Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
Quote:
Were you trying to run your multi processor equipped large ADS network machines with XP Home? Did YOU read the license agreement? Did you read my previous post where I stated "enhanced networking features", indicating my awareness of some of the differences between Pro and Home.

I have 4 computers (2 drives each), they all share files and printers through a router. 3 w/ Home 1 running Pro. Do most people have have more advanced network needs than me? I guess everone has a domain now, I could very well be out of the loop. Is my little home network in danger of a big XP Home induced swooping crash?

It's actually very common to find people that are assuming that XP Pro is a better running, more stable operating system. When used correctly, Home runs the same way Pro does. You can't expect to get features in Home that are clearly stated as not being there.

Microsoft defines a processor as having 1 or more cores. They also state that Home supports 1 processor.
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/h...multicore.mspx
do you actually have a point, or do i have every detail of every sentence?
i use every version of windows 2000 and xp on a daily basis, i know the differences between them all both on paper and in the real world and i can tell you just because things should be same does not mean they are. you are the only person who is assuming anything.
if home is working fine for you good get on with it and make music. for me it will never be worth the headaches and i want support to be available for as long as possible.
Let's get back on topic since you don't like me replying to your statements in the way that you reply to mine.

How do your misfortunes with XP Home directly relate to whether it can suppoort dual cores or not? Please, leave the networking and multi processor aspects out of it. We don't need to know of your long history of operating system usage (I was running W2K up until 9 months ago myself, Protools made me switch). If you were trying to use Home for what it was not intended to be used for, then it's not Home that caused your problems.

You say I am assuming, but I am assuming from the actual evidence I have provided that states XP Home supports dual cores just fine. Do you have any proof that states the contrary? The fact that XP Home is not compatible with your ADS network or the fact that you can't run a multiprocessor (multi socket) machine with XP Home is irrelevant, as those details are well known limitations of the software which Microsoft provides at a reduced price for those of us with no need to establish a domain or who aren't into building a dual CPU computer.

YOU are assuming that since Home does not support dual processors that it won't support dual cores. It's easy to make that connection, but it means nothing if that assumption is false. Microoft themselves has made the clear distincion between multi processor and dual core. So far, nobody can tell if your specific problems with Home are relevant to its overall dual core functionality at all.

Everyone can make up their own mind. We can just leave it at that if nobody else has any more hard evidence to provide that confirms whether Home may or may not function properly with dual cores.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:22 PM

This is kind of an important point actually if one is building a new system from scratch and needs to know which OS to purchase. I have seen plenty of evidence that shows that XP Home will work with dual core processors, but not one that shows that the dual cores are supported 100%. I'm sure we will know in the next week though.

Allen
Old 12-02-2005, 01:19 AM

Well, I went and got some parts today:

A A8N-SLI Premium

A Radeon X550 dual head video card

Athlon 64 3800 X2 (No one local had anything faster! )

Coolermaster Hyper 48 CPU cooler / heatpipe / fan unit. I wanted another Zalman, but they were also unavailable at four local stores and this has a 18.5 dB noise spec, so hopefully it will be pretty quiet.

Enermax 485 Watt Noisetaker power supply. I know this will be quiet.

2 GB of CL 2 Patriot RAM. I couldn't get Corsair with low enough CAS latency setting for my tastes.

Thermaltake case. Pretty slick looking, but I wanted a Antec... but I really don't think fan noise is going to be a huge issue.

I also have a new / unopened WD 160 GB / 7,200 RPM / 8 mb cache HDD sitting here that is going to serve as the C drive, and plenty of other good audio drives.

Not exactly everything the way I wanted it, but I just found out late this afternoon that I'm going to have two days off and I wanted to take advantage of the time while I have it and build something. The mobo's good, so I know I can add a faster CPU later if I feel the need. And I know the 3800 X2 has good overclocking potential.

Oh, and I went ahead and purchased an OEM XP Pro license. It has SP2 on it, and I figured it's probably better to play it safe.

I'll keep you posted.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: So What IS the best?

Well, I'm after an answer as well.

Which is the 'Ultimate Allenstein Machine'?

I really want to get a G5 but the performance reults I see here don't give me the impression that I will get the most for my money(buying a G5 that is).
Old 12-03-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: So What IS the best?

Well, I'm after an answer as well.

Which is the 'Ultimate Allenstein Machine'?

I really want to get a G5 but the performance reults I see here don't give me the impression that I will get the most for my money(buying a G5 that is).
Old 12-03-2005, 01:01 PM

UPDATE:

I found another (fairly) local dealer who had ONE last 4200 X2 in stock, so I took the 3800 X2 back and got that instead.

Building is in process...

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:10 PM

Lucky you Phil. I'm still waiting for my mother board. Other than that, I have everything else. It's like waiting for Santa to come early. Let us know how your system goes.

Please Santa, Ive been good.

shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-03-2005, 01:52 PM

Will do Shane.

Old 12-03-2005, 03:56 PM

I'm waiting right along with you. I am seeing how your system config goes before I do my quad.

My fingers are crossed.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 AM

Hi,

having decided that purchasing a Turion64-based notebook now is too big a risk, i have decide on a Compaq V2000 family laptop based on the Intel PM 735 1.7GHz processor. Here are the specs...

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Processor: Intel ® Pentium ® M Processor 735 (1.7GHz)
Memory: 512MB
Hard Disk: 60GB
Optical Drive: Double Layer DVD±RW/±R
Digital Media Reader Slot: 6-in-1
Graphics & Audio: Integrated
Comm: Integrated modem, Integrated 10/100 LAN Ethernet , Integrated wireless LAN 802.11bg, Integrated Bluetooth
Display: 14” Bright View

Any problems with this setup?
Any DaveC scores would be good too!

Thanks for reading!