Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Pro Tools LE error question...H/W Buffer

Hi there..i am new here, and fairly new to recording in general...I have done hours of reading and searching the internet but can't figure out why this problem persists...I apologize if this has already been addressed...if so, and you can post the URL for a previous thread that would be appreciated...

the error is:

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If thes occurs often, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size"

Anyone know why i would keep getting this?..i have changed the buffer back and forth...it doesn't change anything...I have searched the internet, and found lots of people who seem to have this problem, but no solution...

My computer has plenty of memory....it is a Dell Laptop w/Win XP, 2 gig Ram, brand new Dual core processor, etc...

Is there some type of computer setting that I need to change?...I am perplexed on this one...it completely kills whatever i'm doing at that moment...even when i'm in the middle of recording tracks...

BTW, I'm running ProTools LE 7.3, w/Mbox

thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools LE error question...H/W Buffer

You should start with the steps in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x/7.x General Troubleshooting thread and post specific info on your system per the info on that thread if you're unable to resolve the problem.

You may want to look at the Help us help you thread as well.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:08 PM

Are you recording to a physically separate hard drive. In the case of a notebook, this usually means an external firewire drive. It is not recommended to record to the system drive or a partion of the system drive. The second drive should be at least 7200 RPM or as fast as possible.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Are you recording to a physically separate hard drive. In the case of a notebook, this usually means an external firewire drive. It is not recommended to record to the system drive or a partion of the system drive. The second drive should be at least 7200 RPM or as fast as possible.
The laptop I"m using is a dedicated machine...ie, using it only for my recording...it has a 160GB SATA 7200 hard drive...when I bought this computer I bought it with recording in mind, thus, I bought the highest spec'ed one I could get.....I thought this would be more than enough to run a simple recording studio in my home....I am only running afew tracks...if it doesn't work now it certainly won't when i start running many more tracks, mastering, etc....ughhh...

There has to be something wrong...my machine has more than enough power to run this...is there a setting or something that I'm missing?...I'm a pretty computer savvy guy, that is why this is so perplexing to me...
Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
You should start with the steps in the Win XP/ Pro Tools 6.x/7.x General Troubleshooting thread and post specific info on your system per the info on that thread if you're unable to resolve the problem.

You may want to look at the Help us help you thread as well.
Thank you for chiming in...i appreciate it....however, I did read the 'help us help you' sticky before posting....I tried some searching but gave up without finding what i was looking for....i never have any luck with the search functionality on internet boards ...argh....

I think I provided all the information necessary, if not please let me know....I know that this is a common problem with 7.3 LE....i searched the net and found many folks with the same problem, but can't seem to find the solution....my computer has more than enough power...i'm confused.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
..."The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If thes occurs often, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size"

Anyone know why i would keep getting this?..i have changed the buffer back and forth...it doesn't change anything...I have searched the internet, and found lots of people who seem to have this problem, but no solution...

My computer has plenty of memory....it is a Dell Laptop w/Win XP, 2 gig Ram, brand new Dual core processor, etc...

Is there some type of computer setting that I need to change?...
Try plugging in the power supply to the laptop and see what happens(unless you are doing this already). I have tested out many PC laptops and have come across a HUGE problem. Even the current one I am typing on to send you this message has the problem. Some laptops will not work unless the power supply is plugged in. I can fire up PT right now and hit play and get the famous "increase/decrease buffer" error. The second I plug in the power supply, it works like a dream. Sad but true, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop.

This has been confirmed on a few laptop systems already. And the odd thing is, I can use my "other DAW" with the Mox Original and Mbox mini using the Digidesign ASIO driver...and it works like a dream without issues.

Try that and report back.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The laptop I"m using is a dedicated machine...ie, using it only for my recording...it has a 160GB SATA 7200 hard drive...when I bought this computer I bought it with recording in mind, thus, I bought the highest spec'ed one I could get.....I thought this would be more than enough to run a simple recording studio in my home....I am only running afew tracks...if it doesn't work now it certainly won't when i start running many more tracks, mastering, etc....ughhh...

There has to be something wrong...my machine has more than enough power to run this...is there a setting or something that I'm missing?...I'm a pretty computer savvy guy, that is why this is so perplexing to me...
The point I was trying to make is, you NEED to record to another drive. It doesn't matter if you have a super fast processor as Protools is choking on the hard disk which is also trying to keep the operating ststem running.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 08-09-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Try plugging in the power supply to the laptop and see what happens(unless you are doing this already). I have tested out many PC laptops and have come across a HUGE problem. Even the current one I am typing on to send you this message has the problem. Some laptops will not work unless the power supply is plugged in. I can fire up PT right now and hit play and get the famous "increase/decrease buffer" error. The second I plug in the power supply, it works like a dream. Sad but true, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop.

This has been confirmed on a few laptop systems already. And the odd thing is, I can use my "other DAW" with the Mox Original and Mbox mini using the Digidesign ASIO driver...and it works like a dream without issues.

Try that and report back.

Shane
Thanks for the reply Shane....but alas, I am already using it plugged in...I use it as a desktop, essentially....thanks again!
Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 AM

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is, you NEED to record to another drive. It doesn't matter if you have a super fast processor as Protools is choking on the hard disk which is also trying to keep the operating ststem running.
Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but why would I need a separate hard drive?...A hard drive, whether in the computer, or external, is still a separate piece of hardware is it not?..what would I gain from sending to an external drive, while my large and fast hard drive that I custom ordered is just sitting there un utilized?...

I researched these topics deeply before building this computer, and I never read anything about a separate HD being required for it to work ..especially in it's simplest form...recording and mixing 2 or 3 tracks?

I'm not being sarcastic in any way...i really just don't understand?

Feel free to reply in computer speak...i understand the jive...

thanks so much!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Avid

Quote:

Thank you for chiming in...i appreciate it....however, I did read the 'help us help you' sticky before posting....I tried some searching but gave up without finding what i was looking for....i never have any luck with the search functionality on internet boards ...argh....

I think I provided all the information necessary, if not please let me know....I know that this is a common problem with 7.3 LE....i searched the net and found many folks with the same problem, but can't seem to find the solution....my computer has more than enough power...i'm confused.

You did not provide:

1. Any error numbers
2. A Sandra or PCWizard report
3. A clear outline of exactly which troubleshooting steps you have or have not taken
4. A description of how you have everything configured - is the Mbox connected directly to the computer or to a hub? Which drive you were using for recording and playback (which you posted after further questioning), if you have any other peripherals attached, etc.

The fact that you claim to have read both the posts I mentioned, yet have failed to provide the information requested in those posts indicates that it's more than likely you did not completely read or do everything in those threads. We see that all too often around here, which is why we have to be sticklers about details, details, details. Without them, it's difficult to troubleshoot properly since we can only base decisions on what you've told us (we can't actually see your computer, how it's performning, how everything is hooked up, etc).

You also say "I researched these topics deeply before building this computer, and I never read anything about a separate HD being required for it to work ..especially in it's simplest form...recording and mixing 2 or 3 tracks?"

Perhaps you missed this:

<font color="#666666"> Performance Guidelines
• Recording to the system startup drive is not recommended or supported
• Although limited recording and playback of audio tracks may be possible using the startup drive, one or more separate dedicated 7200 rpm audio hard drive(s) is required for maximum performance and track count

From the Pro Tools LE 7.3 Windows Laptop Systems Compatibility Page