Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Running PT on 32-inch display

Has anyone ever tried to use a 32 inch HiDef monitor to display ProTools on? Instead of using the traditional 2-monitor display, where my edit point always seems to end up right between them. How about one big monitor?

I'm thinking of a Sharp LCD that is PC compatible with 1333 x 860 or something like that. I'm guessing you would just use one of the two outputs on your video card and then just place the edit and mix windows very similar to the way they looked on a 2-screen setup. Would this work? Would they come up in the same places each time you booted up or would you have to rearrange them every time? I'm thinking it would really look cool to clients in the suite. Has anyone ever tried this? Any reasons why it wouldn't work that you could think of.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Running PT on 32-inch display

It would probably work, but I don't think it will do what you're hoping it will. With a resolution like that, everything will be huge on the screen, but you won't have any more real estate than you would on a 17" monitor. What you want is a really big monitor with super high resolutions, like the apple cinema displays or even those from sony, gateway, dell, etc. I've seen several people disappointed after they bought a high-dollar plasma or lcd tv/monitor only to find out it didn't really buy them anymore screen space, just huge icons. Good luck!!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Running PT on 32-inch display

A hi-def display (you say 1333 x 860 pixels) will have less detail (pixels) than even a normal 17" LCD (1280 x 1024 pixels) The advantage would be that everything will just be larger on the screen, like when you lower your monitor resolution, good for bad eye sight or for being far away. If you want a single monitor soulution, GO LOOK at Apple's insane 30" HD display, with a resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels. It looks like a huge poster in front of you with powerbook screen fine detail!