Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM

Default Re: REAPER to PT rewire tutorial?

It would be good to see Reaper listed in the PT Plug-in compatibility grid with Ableton and Reason.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
It would be good to see Reaper listed in the PT Plug-in compatibility grid with Ableton and Reason.
+1!

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
  • You can use it as a VI host. This keeps the VI's outside of PT giving them more RAM access and greater stability for PT. Each hosted VI can also run as a separate dedicated process. If a VI crashes, it wont take down PT or REAPER. Simply make the VI inactive then active again.
  • You can get more audio tracks in PT Native and surpass it's intentionally crippled artificial limit quite easily. Audio tracks from REAPER will be routed into PT Aux tracks. From there you can do all your plug-in inserts and automation etc as you normally would in PT.
  • Hosting audio in REAPER will allow you to have access to unlimited busing prior to sending it into PT via ReWire. This also extends PT's intentionally crippled artificial busing limit.
  • If your VI's are multi format(RTAS/VSTi/DXi etc), you can do very fast offline MIDI to audio rendering of your MIDI tracks from PT inside REAPER, instead of doing long winded real time bounces just to print them to audio in PT. Once the render is quickly done, you can drag these back into PT. This greatly increases production and work flow keeping you in the creative groove.
  • You can do MIDI to audio rendering of all ReWire based instruments in REAPER and drag them into PT.
  • You can do all your MIDI work and editing in REAPER while doing only the audio in PT via ReWiring. This greatly frees up valuable resources in PT.
  • Using REAPER as a VI host, you have access to very fast track templates and routing to speed up MIDI production in PT.
  • You can use REAPER as a video host and do the scoring in PT. This will allow PT to dedicate it's limited RAM access to other needs by having the video hosted outside of the app.
  • You can put your 2" multi-track back to use and actually track in repro mode straight to REAPER. REAPER's user controlled record latency compensation can be set up to negative values down to the sample level allowing for 100% sample accurate time stamping. HD cant even do this and it would cost one $10,000 for an extra hardware box to do so.
  • If you use Digidesign USB based hardware I/O, you can use extremely low latency 3rd party ASIO drivers to track at a buffer of 32 in REAPER for a roundtrip latency under 5ms...just like PT HD.
  • If you work at 96k, you can mix in REAPER and not worry about the extremely low track count that you'll hit very fast while mixing at 96k in PT. A bad effect of it's artificial crippling.
  • You can greatly extend PT's intentionally crippled artificial track limit in 96k sessions by hosting audio in REAPER and streaming it into PT aux tracks via ReWire. From there one can add plug-ins, busing and automation etc to the aux track and treat it just like any other audio track in PT.
  • Using REAPER as a VI host, one can set up REAPER so that the VI's only use CPU cycles when MIDI data is using it. No valuable CPU cycles will be used having the VI's sitting idle unlike Pro Tools. This gives PT greater stability and efficiency gains.
  • Freedom from DAE error messages.
There are many more things that can be done using REAPER ReWired into PT. I think you guys need some geeky "how-to" videos.

Shane
Yea where are the Videos already?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 PM

hmm some good ideas in there.. i rewire FLStudio into PT to get many of the same benefits, but i aways rewired to audio tracks bussed to themselves so i could record them.. using the auxes and printing to master is a good way to beat stupid track limits though :)

PTMP 8.0.1 // FLStudio 9 // WinXP SP3 // Axiom Pro 49 // Delta 44 // Mackie HR624 // AKG K701 // Emu 6400 Classic
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
It's just.... weird.... isn't it !

hell yeah!!
specially with those heavy VI's witch i never could use in PT,would always get crashes,buffer errors,memory full,high latency,now its a breeze thanks to reaper
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 AM

I can see the cartoon, the Reaper offering CPR to and old and tiring rival.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I can see the cartoon, the Reaper offering CPR to and old and tiring rival.
What an image!

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 04-04-2010, 12:51 AM

The following list is quoted from Shans post. I took the liberty of highlighting a few words.

Whenever Protools is mentioned it's "artifically limited" or "crippled".
Whenever Reaper is mentioned it's "unlimited".

I can say this all day. I have. I will.

No wait! I won't.

NAB's isn't going to be the chopping block, but the last nail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan

• You can use it as a VI host. This keeps the VI's outside of PT giving them more RAM access and greater stability for PT. Each hosted VI can also run as a separate dedicated process. If a VI crashes, it wont take down PT or REAPER. Simply make the VI inactive then active again.
  • You can get more audio tracks in PT Native and surpass it's intentionally crippled artificial limit quite easily. Audio tracks from REAPER will be routed into PT Aux tracks. From there you can do all your plug-in inserts and automation etc as you normally would in PT.
  • Hosting audio in REAPER will allow you to have access to unlimited busing prior to sending it into PT via ReWire. This also extends PT's intentionally crippled artificial busing limit.
  • If your VI's are multi format(RTAS/VSTi/DXi etc), you can do very fast offline MIDI to audio rendering of your MIDI tracks from PT inside REAPER, instead of doing long winded real time bounces just to print them to audio in PT. Once the render is quickly done, you can drag these back into PT. This greatly increases production and work flow keeping you in the creative groove.
  • You can do MIDI to audio rendering of all ReWire based instruments in REAPER and drag them into PT.
  • You can do all your MIDI work and editing in REAPER while doing only the audio in PT via ReWiring. This greatly frees up valuable resources in PT.
  • Using REAPER as a VI host, you have access to very fast track templates and routing to speed up MIDI production in PT.
  • You can use REAPER as a video host and do the scoring in PT. This will allow PT to dedicate it's limited RAM access to other needs by having the video hosted outside of the app.
  • You can put your 2" multi-track back to use and actually track in repro mode straight to REAPER. REAPER's user controlled record latency compensation can be set up to negative values down to the sample level allowing for 100% sample accurate time stamping. HD cant even do this and it would cost one $10,000 for an extra hardware box to do so.
  • If you use Digidesign USB based hardware I/O, you can use extremely low latency 3rd party ASIO drivers to track at a buffer of 32 in REAPER for a roundtrip latency under 5ms...just like PT HD.
  • If you work at 96k, you can mix in REAPER and not worry about the extremely low track count that you'll hit very fast while mixing at 96k in PT. A bad effect of it's artificial crippling.
  • You can greatly extend PT's intentionally crippled artificial track limit in 96k sessions by hosting audio in REAPER and streaming it into PT aux tracks via ReWire. From there one can add plug-ins, busing and automation etc to the aux track and treat it just like any other audio track in PT.
  • Using REAPER as a VI host, one can set up REAPER so that the VI's only use CPU cycles when MIDI data is using it. No valuable CPU cycles will be used having the VI's sitting idle unlike Pro Tools. This gives PT greater stability and efficiency gains.
There are many more things that can be done using REAPER ReWired into PT. I think you guys need some geeky "how-to" videos.

Shane
Old 04-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post

Shane
"If your VI's are multi format(RTAS/VSTi/DXi etc), you can do very fast offline MIDI to audio rendering of your MIDI tracks from PT inside REAPER, instead of doing long winded real time bounces just to print them to audio in PT. Once the render is quickly done, you can drag these back into PT. This greatly increases production and work flow keeping you in the creative groove."

Shan- Can you further explain these???? what a great post! These two where kind of confusing though...

"Using REAPER as a VI host, one can set up REAPER so that the VI's only use CPU cycles when MIDI data is using it. No valuable CPU cycles will be used having the VI's sitting idle unlike Pro Tools. This gives PT greater stability and efficiency gains."
Old 04-23-2010, 04:24 PM

I hope Kenny does a REAPER w/PT video. Loved his GROOVE3 stuff.