Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2010, 03:10 AM

Default Re: How good is pro tools vs other DAWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
Boy do I remember this: "From our viewpoint, this can sometimes "appear" to be the case from some of the questionable actions we've seen over the years by Digidesign. Let's rewind to early 2001, the 5.01/5.1.1 days and the 001. We had a silly 24 track limit and the new AMD 2500 Barton rigs were kickin' ***** on the DUC. I have a 23 track session loaded up, I go to import another track from an earlier session, by accident, I import two tracks. Well now, what have we got here? I now have 25 tracks playing in LE. I take the experiment one step further and it turns out, using this method, we can get 32 tracks playing in LE." I hope AMD comes back like they were. If you could go back to my 1st 10 posts or so, I was testing a soyo dragon KT266a if I remember with 98se and I ran across the same thing with track count. I was new to the duc and didn't say anything. Small world.
Ha! I posted this 32 track solution on the DUC twice and Digi deleted both of them. That was my first introduction to their real agenda. Nonetheless, my email was flooded with hundreds of users requesting the workaround. I probably still have these emails.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Ha! I posted this 32 track solution on the DUC twice and Digi deleted both of them. That was my first introduction to their real agenda. Nonetheless, my email was flooded with hundreds of users requesting the workaround. I probably still have these emails.

Shane
Makes me wanna put an older box together and put 7.3.1 on just to see the I/O

Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 AM

me=smiling. I never understood the track limit kerfuffle.

I was happy with 24 (or whatever) tracks back then, but knew something was amiss. I understand now though. Thanks Shane for those links, I like DTS's business101 replies, they are gold. You can't expect the post office to operate like a courier company.

Come on PT9! 64bit ADC I hope

still smiling,
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Makes me wanna put an older box together and put 7.3.1 on just to see the I/O
PT 5.0.1 was the version I was referring to. They "fixed" this import glitch in PT 5.3. Not that it was really a problem.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
PT 5.0.1 was the version I was referring to. They "fixed" this import glitch in PT 5.3. Not that it was really a problem.

Shane
Oh yea I knew that. I was just mentioning about the 32 I/O of 7.3.1 also.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:07 AM

I've been using LE for about 16 months now and never worried about plugin delay.

Last Friday, I decided to manually delay compensate a guitar track for which I had a
send running to a Waves GTR aux track. The plugin delay was 65 samples.

I was quite surprised at how different the compensated versus uncompensated results sounded.
65 samples can make a big difference.

I've known this to be the case for quite a while with GTR, but always just chalked it up to
being part of the plugin 'sound', simply because I didn't feel like compensating

I'm not worried about delay on plugins like reverb, since you'll always adjust the predelay anyway,
but a harmonics plugin like GTR is a different story.

It's not that it sounds bad, just different.
So, in my case, I'm going back over some of my other tunes that use GTR and compensating
to compare the end result.

I am now concerned about ADC

Don’t piss down my back and tell me it’s raining.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=851389
Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Poor DTS takes a beating at times but does have a lot of valuable info in between the lines. I think we need to throw a big DUC party, get DTS drunk, and just let him rip into us one by one and get it out of the system. I'll have to wear body armour for that one though.

Shane
I LIKE this idea, west coast keg party for DTS.

The guy does a good job and there are times I would hide under the desk if I had to do it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-28-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Boy do I remember this: "From our viewpoint, this can sometimes "appear" to be the case from some of the questionable actions we've seen over the years by Digidesign. Let's rewind to early 2001, the 5.01/5.1.1 days and the 001. We had a silly 24 track limit and the new AMD 2500 Barton rigs were kickin' ***** on the DUC. I have a 23 track session loaded up, I go to import another track from an earlier session, by accident, I import two tracks. Well now, what have we got here? I now have 25 tracks playing in LE. I take the experiment one step further and it turns out, using this method, we can get 32 tracks playing in LE." I hope AMD comes back like they were. If you could go back to my 1st 10 posts or so, I was testing a soyo dragon KT266a if I remember with 98se and I ran across the same thing with track count. I was new to the duc and didn't say anything. Small world.
Hey, I remember those days... but I never knew about that 'workaround'. That was when I moved from my G4 400 MHz single core Mac to PC (and I've been on PC since).
FWIW, I still have the Mac and I still have two Digi001's which are now sitting on a shelf in my museum!!
I was considering using my old PC and one of the 001's as a stand alone FX box but why bother when a quad core has all the FX power I need.

Studio rig
- 002r, Onyx 1640 & 1620, PT8, REAPER, Win7 64, Q9450 quad, Asus P5Q, CMLabs MotorMate and MotorMix, CMLabs Sixty Four Router, Motu Midi Timepiece AV
Second rig
- Mbox2 Pro, PT8, REAPER, Win7 32, Asus M51sn laptop
Live tracking rig - Onyx 1640 & 1620, REAPER, WinXP, Asus M51sn laptop

My Website
Old 03-28-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
Come on PT9! 64bit ADC I hope

still smiling,
Mike.
All the world loves a dreamer.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-28-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPuss View Post
Hey, I remember those days... but I never knew about that 'workaround'. That was when I moved from my G4 400 MHz single core Mac to PC (and I've been on PC since).
FWIW, I still have the Mac and I still have two Digi001's which are now sitting on a shelf in my museum!!
I was considering using my old PC and one of the 001's as a stand alone FX box but why bother when a quad core has all the FX power I need.
You can revive that old 001 by using REAPER on it for the front end. Finally you'll have everything you always wanted for the 001 like ADC, offline bounce, 64 bit end-to-end audio engine etc.

You also don't need the breakout 001 I/O box attached for it to work. This will allow you to use any high quality A/D/A hardware as the front end via ADAT lightpipe as the ADAT I/O was on the PCI card itself. Not many knew this one. We had tons of tricks and work arounds.

Shane