Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Default Ready to Give up on PT 10 and Eleven Rack

Pulling my hair out over this and feel like I’m chasing down several rabbit trails at once on multiple threads. Sometimes one thing works, sometimes it doesn’t, it’s unpredictable, etc. I have to get work done and can’t trouble shoot this system every time I need to work. So, if anyone can help.. I’ll provide as much detail as possible.

Machine:
MacBook Pro
2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

ProTools 10 + Eleven Rack (Fresh install---new Mac machine, no upgrading versions of PT.)

I’m having the same issues everyone else seems to be having all over the forum, but for instance, today I attempted opening a session I’ve opened already. “Could not create a new document because Assertion in “/Volumes/Development/ws.Ludwig/AlturaPorts/DFW/MackBuild/../Views/UMenu.MacOS.mm”, line 1350.

Got an answer in one thread about deleting digidesign database, so I did that. I don’t remember if I got this message again or if it moved on to a new error message.

Next it was “Your audio device is configured with an unsupported audio buffer size. Please select one of the following buffer sizes in the device control panel:…”

Then, the current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 0 kHz.

Then, “The current playback engine does not support a sample rate of 48 kHz. “
(I’ve checked and double checked the Eleven Rack in the User Options and it’s set to “Clock Source: Int. 48 kHz.”

If I go to system prefs, and choose Eleven Rack, I get a window showing the Eleven, but I can’t choose anything other than 44.1 kHz. It’s just not available. 44.1 is the only thing in the drop down menu.

I’ve gone to the Playback Engine to choose the Eleven Rack. Next to “H/W Buffer Size,” there’s nothing for me to choose. At least before it was showing 512 with the option of changing it. Now, it’s just absent. Can’t choose anything.

In the Audio Midi Setup, I’ve checked and unchecked “Digidesign Eleven Rack.”

In the system prefs for “Sound,” the Eleven Rack isn’t even there anymore. I have “Internal Speakers” “Audio Core Device” and “Pro Tools Aggregate I/O.”

Before this, I was still getting by with PT 6.4 and an old Power Book. Never had this many problems in so many areas.

I spent 45 minutes on hold with Avid/Digi, etc., but couldn’t spend all afternoon waiting to get someone on the phone. I’m at a loss, so if anyone can check this out and walk me through what I’m doing wrong, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

-Scotty

(FYI, I’ve had 2 or 3 instances where everything fired up perfectly---old ProTools sessions and brand new ones created with PT 10 and the Eleven Rack. So, I know it can work.)
Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Ready to Give up on PT 10 and Eleven Rack

if i we're you, i'd reload everything fresh, from the start....it sounds like theres something severely wrong...i am running 10.6.8 with pt10 and have none of those issues
Old 03-23-2012, 12:09 PM

FWIW...and I ain't happy 'bout it, either...I've noticed similar quirks recently with PT10 and my 11R. Not sure what they're derivative of, yet, but the databases issue seems to be recurring and annoying. As is typically the case, my machine may be the culprit, yet it's still annoying. As I haven't been able to do anything in an OSX environment (yet), all issues I'm experiencing are within a Windows system.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM

I get this error often. You are 99% for certain having problems with your playback engine. Hopefully that's your only problem. Try making a new aggregate in Audio Midi.app" and selecting that. The default one often does not work and causes this exact problem. I don't have an Eleven Rack, so I can't help you with the exact details. Try using other inputs and outputs in a new agrrregate and test that.

Also, try a new USB cable. Bad USB or FW cables can cause intermittent hell.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:27 AM

Edit: Comment deleted.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:53 AM

I know might sound like a silly question, but you have installed the latest 11R drivers ? Also make sure the system isnt using 11R for system sounds. Then trash the prefs. Whenever ive had this error its been because the playback engine has the wrong device.