Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2003, 05:31 PM

Default recording acoustic guitar(fret sounds)

I had a guy come over today and recorded acoustic guitar for the first time. Basicly just foolin around. I have to say that recording with a single SM57 is a huge step up from software guitar sounds. I think it sounds great with the SM57.I know there are tons of recording techniques to experiment with but I am curious about excessive fret sound in a recording.Anyway,my question is this.If I should use 2 mics(one positioned near the 12 fret or so),is the idea to have the fret mic a certain distance away as to minimise fret sounds and also bring that volume down in mixdown? Is it also part of an experienced guitar players technique and player responsibility to learn to play less fret heavy? I have no idea. Hopefully I didn't pose these questions too rediculously. Any input would be cool. Thanx.

DJ
Old 09-02-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Re: recording acoustic guitar(fret sounds)

HI. Sometimes I use an SM58 and a 58. The 58 is more bassy. you can try different positions. sometimes a little fret noise sounds good. It's good to experiment and see what you get,; try different EQ's. Good fingering helps too.

July

MP3's
Old 09-02-2003, 06:36 PM

I think you mean string noiese, don't you. The sound of the guitar players fingers sliding over the strings? It really has nothing to do with the frets. A whole lot of that is player responsibility. Just make sure that the player is aware of it, and let him/her know when it is becoming abrasive. String choice is another huge factor, experiment with some smoother string types/materials (brass, bronze, steel, etc) and gauges. It is a very difficult sound to get rid of in the mixing process, very difficult. You can try using a de-esser set to the range of abrasive frequencies (wich is usually about the same as esses, conveniently, 5-8 khz). You have to be careful not to kill the tone of the guitar itself when doing this though. A certain amount of string noise is desirable (I think anyway). Most people realize that it's just part of the way an acoustic guitar sounds. Hope some or any of this is helpfull to you. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2003, 01:44 AM

Yes,I mean the abrasive string sound ,not fret(my bad). I think some string sound is good and natural as well. It was pretty abrasive and I told him about it and he basicly understood what I was talking about.He'll work on it I'm sure.I really need to experiment with mic placement as well for good balance. He has a really nice guitar and I would bet the strings are pretty good.It'll be a fun experience learning about recording acoustic guitar.Thanx for the input fellas.I appreciate it.The DUC rocks.

DJ
Old 09-03-2003, 04:19 AM

It's commonly referred to as fret noise even though the frets have nothing to do with it. Anyway, you always have this problem especially if the guitar player is playing barr chords and not open chords. I use two SM57s and you may want to try positioning one of the mics over the guitar player’s shoulder and the other just off the sound hole.

I don't think there is a perfect way to completely eliminate fret noise. It depends on the guitar style, mics, room, and mixing.

Rob-
Old 09-03-2003, 06:19 AM

String noise (not to be confused with fret noise, which is a factor of a poorly adjusted neck) is a factor of playing style/skill, and there is really no way to remove it from recordings.

I typically use a 2 mic method when recording acoustic guitars. the fisrt mic is placed to the players right, about even with the bridge, level with the bottom fo the body, and facing upward toward the bridge. the second is to the players left, at the 12th fret, just below the neck, facing in about 30degrees. both mics are 18-24' from the guitar.

I prefer LD condensors such as AKG 414's, but excellent results can be had with any quality mic, provided you have a decent sounding room and guitar, and a talented player.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:59 AM

A little bit of Criso oil on the performers fingers and gtr strings works for me.

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-03-2003, 12:41 PM

That noise is actually the little lines (creases and peaks) that make up your fingerprint rubbing against the coils of the lower strings, you can actually get quite a squeak out of the non-wound strings as well. This noise is usually much more noticeable with shiny new strings. It's really difficult to get rid of or prevent that noise.

where02190 is right in that it really depends on the guitarist. I also prefer large diaphragm condensor mics on acoustic guitar, but many others here like the sound of small diaphragm condensors (again it depends on the guitar, the room, the perfomance/performer).

http://www.ephemeralsun.com
Old 09-03-2003, 07:13 PM

Use Chap-stick on the strings. It will dull the hell out of them, but it'll take the string noise out.

Scott
Old 09-03-2003, 08:11 PM

recently ran into similar issue with acoustic bass guitar (held like regular guitar - larger body and just four strings) tried flat wound strings and saw improvement. lubricant helps also.

if your guitar is solo or primary instrument try coincedent stereo pair a few inches away - move pair up and down neckwise and to/from strings for fullest stereo sound.
also depends on guitar - classical guitars really benefit from ribbon mikes.
note also that certain mike types (unidirectional usually) have a very noticable 'proximity effect'.
this can drive you crazy if the musician moves around alot