Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM

Default Shan!! Need help_Reaper

Shan,

I need you to answer a couple of questions about reaper. I have looked at their forum and am ready to take the plunge.

1. If you pay for the license can you put it on multiple PC's without having to buy multiple license?
2. Is there a difference in the commercialand non commercial license? (In other words is the non commercial version limited?)
3. How good does the rewire work in protools using DIGI003?
4. Have you used Komplete or Kontakt with it rewired through protools? The reason I am asking is I am tired of not being able to use my NI software waiting for then to make a stable version for PT8. I know about the beta 3.5
5. I assume you can increase your track count with this program if rewire works
6. Last of all does it crash like protools whenever it wants to or does it crash protools or do they crash each other..LOL

Thanks. Any information on Reaper and protools 8 would be appreciated. I looked through all of the post in Reaper and the DUC but am not finding a bunch of chat with regards to PT8.

Bonus question...Does anyone know when the next CS will be out for PT8?

Scar

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Shan!! Need help_Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
Shan,

I need you to answer a couple of questions about reaper. I have looked at their forum and am ready to take the plunge.
I think the REAPER forums would be a better place for something like this. Download the fully working demo and try first. When the demo expires it will still be fully functional, you'll just be confronted with a nag screen to purchase a license on startup.

Quote:
1. If you pay for the license can you put it on multiple PC's without having to buy multiple license?
Yes.

Quote:
2. Is there a difference in the commercialand non commercial license? (In other words is the non commercial version limited?)
No.

Quote:
I've never had any issues with any ReWired app using my 003R. REASON, BFD, REAPER all seem to work fine on my end.

Quote:
4. Have you used Komplete or Kontakt with it rewired through protools?
No, but others here seem to do exactly that.

Quote:
The reason I am asking is I am tired of not being able to use my NI software waiting for then to make a stable version for PT8. I know about the beta 3.5
Using another app to host the NI stuff seems to be common.

Quote:
Among other things.

Quote:
6. Last of all does it crash like protools whenever it wants to...
No.

Quote:
...or does it crash protools or do they crash each other..LOL
If anything at all crashes...I think you know the answer to that one.

Quote:
Thanks. Any information on Reaper and protools 8 would be appreciated. I looked through all of the post in Reaper and the DUC but am not finding a bunch of chat with regards to PT8.
You'll find alot of Pro Tools users and chatter also on the REAPER forums. Many use both. Nothing wrong with using more than one tool to get the job done so why not have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
We'll have to put bets on that one.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Shan,

technically, it allows you to, yes. in theory, as long as you don't use both machines simultaneously, it's legit. they're not nazi's about it...but, they DO trust the users to be somewhat ethical.
Quote:
no, there is no functional difference. there's no functional difference between the demo and registered versions, either, minus the nag screen. again, it's up to the conscience of the user. if you're using reaper to make $, you should pay for a commercial license.
Quote:
can't answer for that hardware. it works fine with any asio driver on its own. there has been a rash of rewire problems with various apps (reaper, reason, among them) with protools lately...everything works fine, but when you close protools...kaboom.
Quote:
vsti's are typically MUCH less cpu-intensive than their rtas counterparts, so it would stand to reason yes. i can do a test with the same synth vsti/rewire vs rtas, if you'd like exact numbers...
Quote:
6. Last of all does it crash like protools whenever it wants to or does it crash protools or do they crash each other..LOL
reaper is very stable...much more so than most i've used. aside from the rewire thing (and it's NOT the only app that has this issue with pt), it works very well.
Quote:

Scar
ha...man, i wish i did. "they're working on it" is all we have to go on for now.

also, as far as reaper...just d/l the demo. as mentioned above, it's not restricted in functionality, and gives you 30 days of *use* before it starts bugging you to register. see how it works for you BEFORE you drop any cash.
good luck!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks guys. One more thing. I can get Kontakt to play in reaper but do I have to arm record in protools instrument track? It sounded like a midi loop back when I did. It plays fine in reaper. Cool program so far.

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 04-20-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. One more thing. I can get Kontakt to play in reaper but do I have to arm record in protools instrument track? It sounded like a midi loop back when I did. It plays fine in reaper. Cool program so far.
You should be able to use REAPER to host the VI's and still do all your MIDI work in PT so the same recording of MIDI rules will still apply and you'll have to record arm the PT Instrument track. REAPER in that regard will basically be used as an external VI shell(with access to more ram beyond the limits of PT by the way). I did that as a test about a year ago and all seemed fine. I'll revisit it again and have a look at what I did. Keep in mind you now have the benefit of MIDI to audio rendering.

..and drag & drop into PT

...and...

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-21-2009, 01:02 AM

sory to bother you guys but can reaper act as host for reason (rewire)?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
It is kind of weird to ask these questions at the DUC -- why not ask the experts over at the REAPER forum?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chongo View Post
Yes.

Oh...REAPER Forums.

Shane

Old 04-23-2009, 10:47 PM

Shan,

I hate to post this here but I need a little help. If you want to email me [email protected] I would appreciate it.

I need a favor if possible. I am not getting the I/O working perfect between reaper and protools rewiring reaper into protools 8. I would like 2 templates if you have them. One (reaper) with 2 VI tracks (I will be using EZ drummer and Kontakt on these rewiring them back into my session in protools 8.

The other is a protools template with a master fader and the 2 rewire tracks set up. I am using a digi003 with protools 8.0

Let me know if this is possible and I appreciate any help on this. I think that if I see the inout output between the 2 programs I will understand it better. I only want to work in MIDI in Reaper and everything else in protools. I think your reasearch on this is great and I love the idea of bouncing midi to audio instead of real time in protools. Plus I can now use Kontakt in Reaper. I have tried and still am getting a bunch of latency and then a feedback midi loop in protools. I set up 2 instrument tracks in protools and put rewire only in them for Reaper. I then opened up reaper and made the VI tracks just sending out to digi 1/2 stereo. This is where the wheels fell off of it.

One more question have you got the record/stop/play and rewind on the digi 003 to work with Reaper? That seems to be another issue.

Thanks as always. By the way I am scar97 now on the reaper forum if you want to IM me or something as well

DAW
-
Old 04-23-2009, 10:48 PM

By the way this is a windows system so no mac please

DAW
-