How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Default Can't install digidesign HFS+ driver

Hey everyone, having an odd issue here.
When I installed PT 10, I installed the HFS+ driver with it. I never needed it until now so I never noticed there was anything wrong with the installation. Just now I tried to connect a HFS+ formatted drive to my PC and it wasn't working. Checked the program list in control panel and the HFS+ disk support wasn't in there. So I ran the PT 10 installer again and just installed HFS+ driver support. I restarted and tried again, still nothing and the program wasn't in the programs list again. So I went to the install path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mediafour\MacDrive 8\Digidesign HFS+ Disk Support 8.0.6.52 en-US Setup) and found both x64 and x86 installers for the program.

Tried install the x64 (I am on a 64 bit system) and it came up with the error: "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". Now I have no idea what these policies are that's preventing the installation, nor do I know how to change them. So I went and installed the x86 instead. When I restarted I got the error message "HFS+ disk support did not start" Tried pressing the repair option it gave me, then it made me restart again after it was done, and the same error popped up again.

I'm really not sure what the issue is here, but if anyone can help out that would be great, even if you know how I might get the x64 version to install so I can try that, it would be quite helpful.

Oh and computer info:
Acer Aspire TimelineX 5820TG
Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz
4GB DDR3 Memory
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Cheers,
Nick
Old 09-19-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Can't install digidesign HFS+ driver

Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem on Windows 7. Did you ever get any kind of resolution to this?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Talking Re: Can't install digidesign HFS+ driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick133 View Post
Hey everyone, having an odd issue here.
When I installed PT 10, I installed the HFS+ driver with it. I never needed it until now so I never noticed there was anything wrong with the installation. Just now I tried to connect a HFS+ formatted drive to my PC and it wasn't working. Checked the program list in control panel and the HFS+ disk support wasn't in there. So I ran the PT 10 installer again and just installed HFS+ driver support. I restarted and tried again, still nothing and the program wasn't in the programs list again. So I went to the install path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Mediafour\MacDrive 8\Digidesign HFS+ Disk Support 8.0.6.52 en-US Setup) and found both x64 and x86 installers for the program.

Tried install the x64 (I am on a 64 bit system) and it came up with the error: "the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation". Now I have no idea what these policies are that's preventing the installation, nor do I know how to change them. So I went and installed the x86 instead. When I restarted I got the error message "HFS+ disk support did not start" Tried pressing the repair option it gave me, then it made me restart again after it was done, and the same error popped up again.

I'm really not sure what the issue is here, but if anyone can help out that would be great, even if you know how I might get the x64 version to install so I can try that, it would be quite helpful.

Oh and computer info:
Acer Aspire TimelineX 5820TG
Intel Core i5-480M 2.66GHz
4GB DDR3 Memory
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Cheers,
Nick

I have your FIX! Took us a long time to figure this one out too.
Create a TXT file and paste the following code:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\62EC4895A4FC465459114D59988CEFE9]
After that, save with .reg as the extension and run that. Pro Tools has some sort of left over code in the new installers that makes it think that it's installed, when it's not. And it doesn't remove it either. This will manually remove it for you. In case you don't believe me, go to regedit and search for 'HFS', you'll find one of the first keys should be the one above, which makes the computer think it's installed. Now you can run the MSI installers if you have 32 or 64 bit installs.

Pretty cool, no? Took me a LONG time to figure that out.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:40 AM

I have been able to install the product, HFS support seems to be working, but when I try to open the "Change Mac disk" tool, I get an error message.

Anybody ever experienced this? :-\ Any ideas? Reinstalling hasn't worked (so far).

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 11-02-2013, 02:13 PM

The Avid HFS+ Disk Support option was dropped in PT 10 and no longer supported. Many of us started using Paragon HFS+. If you have Linux partitions, then Paragon ExtFS works well. Many PC users also still use MacDrive by Mediafour.

Hope that helps.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schottlandru View Post
I have been able to install the product, HFS support seems to be working, but when I try to open the "Change Mac disk" tool, I get an error message.

Anybody ever experienced this? :-\ Any ideas? Reinstalling hasn't worked (so far).

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew, your System Details in your Profile list this:
Quote:
System Details
PTLE 8.0.1, Win XP SP2, HP Notebook NX9420, 4GB RAM
Is that still accurate?
Is there any reason you would be on v8.0.1, like using an original Mbox?
Otherwise, all other LE interfaces supported with PTLE 8.0.1 are supported on XP with v8.0.5:
Pro Tools LE for Windows Compatibility Grid