Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Raid issue - help needed please :-)

Hi all

yet another complete Pro tools noob enters the scene

I found this on the support pages somewhere

"RAID Not Supported

Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives. "

Im running PTLE 7.0 on XP home ed.
MOBO is a Asus P5ND2-SLI Deluxe with nforce4 chipset ( the intel converted version )
CPU P4 3.6 prescott
Ram 2 GB ( 2 x 1gb Dual channel 5400ucl Kingston )
system drive is a raid array (striped) of 2 seagate 120 Gb 7200/8mb cache disks (using the onboad nvraid controler )
audio drive is a seagate 500 Gb 7200/16 mb cache
graphics is Geforce GTX 7800
Digi is DIGI002R + command8
additional Soundcard Creative Soundblaster X-fi platinum ed. ( one without onboard ram )

the system works but get very poor results in ths Davec2 test setup ( only get to test file 2 where I have to disable 6 tracks or so leaving me with 16-17 tracks in test during playback.)

My questions is:
would I be better of by ditching the raid on the system drives and use the 2 disks separately ?

should i buy yet another harddisk to use for system maybe a smaller 7200/16mb one ?

is that true that raid is not supported and what is meant by it ?
is it only as the system drive it dosent work well ?
or is it only for the audio storage it does not work ?

reason I wonder on this point is, that even though im a noob, one thing I have always heard was that Raid is cool and always makes things faster !

and finally would it be better to skip the X-fi soundcard alltogether ?
(my plan was to use it to run SF2 soundfonts from the builtin sampler feature on it )

Thanks in advance

Chroizz
Old 01-26-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Raid issue - help needed please :-)

Quote:

is that true that raid is not supported and what is meant by it ?

Chroizz
It is not supported but it doesnt mean it doesnt work. There are a few DUC members here who have it going without any probs. I'm sure they can chime in and give you a hand with your questions.

And welcome to the DUC.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-26-2006, 05:57 PM

I could be wrong but I don't believe raid is an issue unless you're using an array as the audio drive. Depending on what else you do with your system you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in general performance if you got rid of it but I'll bet your Pro Tools performance problem is due to something else.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:26 PM

Hi,

I use a RAID 0 array for streaming my samples, i.e. it is not used as my audio drive. It works very well. Check out the troubleshooting thread at the top just in case there is some other issue.

cheers
Old 01-27-2006, 03:03 AM

thanks for all replies

that sounds like a great idea to use the raid drive for samples didn't think of that one ..

and it gives me a good excuse to go out and by more hardware

any ideas on why the davec test runs so purely, any experience with the soundblaster x-fi running in conjunction with digi002r ?

or maybe I should just post my bad results in the Davec section and then take it from there