Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2009, 06:24 PM

Default Digi and the future

Faced with making the jump over to PCIe/Intel from G5/PPC I've been trolling the threads and I have to say that I don't envy the decisions that Digi has no doubt had to make regarding future direction.

The pro and amateur markets are obviously merging from a technology standpoint and HD/TDM is less and less the knockout punch it was when you look at what's around the corner with Native systems, at a substantially lower price point. Digi obviously knows this so what do you do? I'm probably not alone in guessing that Pro Tools native is around the corner but how can they not compromise it without cannibalizing HD sales? With the HD user base firmly planted in studios across the world how can they abandon it? LE, MAudio compared to you know who, forget it. LE, you still have to pay for 'extra track count'. That sh*t is not going to fly for very much longer.
Do they release a mid level native solution that is slightly less powerful than HD so they can still justify the cards? I can't speak for everyone, but with the advances in CPU power and competitive software I have a hard time believing that they will have a chance by doing anything other than going full tilt Native while maintaining a support system for HD/TDM for years and years to come.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Digi and the future

My prediction:

PT 9 will be native.
They'll figure out a way to guarantee high track counts, and implement delay compensation and the other HD-only features into an essentially LE software architecture.
96s, 192s, SyncHDs will be retrofitted with 1394, new ones will come with it. The interfaces will be needed to boot the software, just like LE.
The price of PTHDv9 software (which currently, doesn't really have a price), combined with the cost of the mandatory interface will offset the losses caused by ditching PCI/(e) cards.

Of course there are a lot of holes in this prediction, but that's my general thinking.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:19 AM

I have heard 2011 is the end of the world.
So, please release PT 9 in 2010.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:38 AM

are you kidding man?
Don't even joke about this, World Cup in Brazil 2014 and Olympic World Games in 2016, agora que conseguimos melhor nem pensar no pesadelo....rs
Old 10-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Just wanted to add this.........Through sweetwater and other retailers you can currently get a HD system bundled with an interface starting at 50% off of regular retail price. HD1 comes with a free 96 I/O at 50 % off HD 2 comes with a free 192 I/O at over 50% off etc. So something is definitely in the works, or perhaps Avid/Digi are realizing that they have to be more competitively priced. I think this deal lasts through December, but don't quote me on that. I really wish that they would just be open with their plans for the future so people could buy or wait accordingly. Avid please communicate with your customers!
UA610 pre's / Chameleon Labs 7602mkII pre's / Chameleon labs 7802 stereo opto tube compressor/ Mackie hr824 monitors
Old 10-07-2009, 12:30 PM

TDM+host > host ...at least for another decade.

That said, the TDM+host advantage will diminish every year.

How must Digi stay ahead? With Pro Tools obviously, "Pro Tools the SOFTWARE." Pro Tools will more and more have to compete with the other leading DAWs on a level playing field, as the importance of dedicated DSP becomes less of an advantage.

That's why PT8 was such a huge leap forward and a brilliant use of resources. They laid down the gauntlet and said we're best, and they succeeded at making the best well-rounded and professional "DAW package," with untouchable editing and mixing ease, reliability, and efficiency and has a great line of pro quality controllers like the ICON behind it.

They also succeeded in bringing on tens (hundreds?) of thousands of new users buy finally inviting in the composers and beat-makers with PT8 and the great sounding AIR plugs. I know so many people using PT now that wouldn't (read: couldn't) use it until it became a sequencer in PT8.

It's going to be more and more about "Pro Tools the SOFTWARE" from here on out. They should put most resources into the PT app and just pull way ahead.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:48 PM

The world Ends December 21, 2012

dtrusz you can still build a great PC with PCI Slots and stop feeding the deep Digi pockets

Dig Is going to Build a Studio Venue and drop Host Computers That's a secure future software is vaporware
Old 10-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Relaxo, I definitely agree that they should allocate their resources towards the software side of things, especially regarding the de-crippling of LE as it stands (track count, ADC, etc.) but the thing is that this Digi has always touted themselves as a hardware company, which is what has me worried. I sincerely hope they are not planning a new and improved HD...A super HD if you will. A way to enhance an uncrippled native based daw with their existing technology (cards/interfaces) would make much more sense than a new improved HD. I for one would love to see a fully working version of their software paired with a better choice of converters/ and I/O minus pre's completely without having to implement the TDM cards at all. I Ideally would like to see protools software with out limitations and the ability to choose whatever hardware I wish to use with it but I am nearly certain that it just won't happen. A man can dream though!
UA610 pre's / Chameleon Labs 7602mkII pre's / Chameleon labs 7802 stereo opto tube compressor/ Mackie hr824 monitors
Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitopian View Post
Just wanted to add this.........Through sweetwater and other retailers you can currently get a HD system bundled with an interface starting at 50% off of regular retail price. HD1 comes with a free 96 I/O at 50 % off HD 2 comes with a free 192 I/O at over 50% off etc. So something is definitely in the works, or perhaps Avid/Digi are realizing that they have to be more competitively priced. I think this deal lasts through December, but don't quote me on that. I really wish that they would just be open with their plans for the future so people could buy or wait accordingly. Avid please communicate with your customers!
This sounds like the upgrade from LE that is on Digi's first page now.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=39835
Old 10-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Indeed! well, that one slipped by me! I didn't see that earlier today...I must be slipping, lol! Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.