Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Is Pro Tools 10 64bit Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manik View Post
Once after PT11 64bit is released, will PT11 support existing 32bit RTAS plug-in effects & instruments from 3rd parties with any bridge (64->32) facility? Or do we have to upgrade every 3rd party plug-ins to AAX?
Very unlikely you'll see a bridge in my opinion. It will be all AAX at that point.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Very unlikely you'll see a bridge in my opinion. It will be all AAX at that point.

Shane
Agree.
I think Avid already said that PT10 is the bridge to PT11.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 AM

Thanx all,

Assuming that PT11 would not support any of existing RTAS plugs, I wonder if FxPansion could provide a new converter/wrapper for RTAS-to-AAX, as like as legacy VST-to-RTAS converter... (Though the VST-to-RTAS converter is no longer working well with PT9 or 10, and FxPansion does not provide corrected versions...)

Also, if Avid says PT10 is the only version for RTAS->AAX transient period, most of 3rd party plugin vendors should release upgraded AAX versions at least until PT11 is released. Otherwise, PT11 can be useless because there are less plugins that can be used.

http://himemanik.com/
http://www.facebook.com/himemanik2
Old 05-25-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Thanx all,

Assuming that PT11 would not support any of existing RTAS plugs, I wonder if FxPansion could provide a new converter/wrapper for RTAS-to-AAX, as like as legacy VST-to-RTAS converter... (Though the VST-to-RTAS converter is no longer working well with PT9 or 10, and FxPansion does not provide corrected versions...)

Also, if Avid says PT10 is the only version for RTAS->AAX transient period, most of 3rd party plugin vendors should release upgraded AAX versions at least until PT11 is released. Otherwise, PT11 can be useless because there are less plugins that can be used.
There is a lot of 3rd party plugins have said they would support aax, now or in the future. Even ewql who produces one of the biggest and versatile collection of virtual instruments have said they would support aax. So the future of aax bolds well, even if one of the biggest plugin manufacturer seems to be lagging behind in term of commitment.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-25-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15th SINE View Post
Well I hope that Pro Tools 11 64bit is True and very soon release otherwise it's goodbye digidesign/avid for me since i been using it the days of PT LE 6.4
My needs outgrew Reaper ReWire. Instead of buying and working in another 3rd party app, I decided to watch a few tutorials and dig into Reaper 64 bit. Didn't take long at all. I now use it for MIDI production and absolutely love it. Definitely have not said goodbye to PT, though, as it runs through my veins when I have to wear the AE hat.

I would not be concerned about a very soon PT 64 bit release. If Avid can get PT 64 bit to run VI's as efficient as Reaper, at low buffers, then they can take all the time they need. If AAX and the PT 11 engine are not much better than the way it's been wth VI RTAS, in terms of efficiency, then PT 64 bit would not be worth much.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15th SINE View Post
Well I hope that Pro Tools 11 64bit is True and very soon release otherwise it's goodbye digidesign/avid for me since i been using it the days of PT LE 6.4
If Avid would release PT11 very soon, a big problem will be there are less AAX plugins ready to use, other than genuine Avid/Digi/Air plugins. So it is now too early for 11.

http://himemanik.com/
http://www.facebook.com/himemanik2
Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
If Avid would release PT11 very soon, a big problem will be there are less AAX plugins ready to use, other than genuine Avid/Digi/Air plugins. So it is now too early for 11.
Actually, the sooner the better. Those that have workflows that may be interrupted by an early release of PT11 can simply stay with PT10 for a while longer.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Actually, the sooner the better. Those that have workflows that may be interrupted by an early release of PT11 can simply stay with PT10 for a while longer.
Which is pretty much everyone, considering not even Avid has completed switching over to AAX. Too soon means they won't make any money at all. I'd be shocked if it were any earlier than Nov of this year.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I wonder if FxPansion could provide a new converter/wrapper for RTAS-to-AAX, as like as legacy VST-to-RTAS converter... (Though the VST-to-RTAS converter is no longer working well with PT9 or 10, and FxPansion does not provide corrected versions...)
This might not be a profitable venture for FXpansion, as most RTAS plug-ins will probably be ported over to AAX. On the flip side, I can see them doing a VST to AAX Adapter though.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-26-2012, 02:35 AM

My experience from using Logic a lot too is that after Logic switched to 64-bit, a handful of PlugIn Companies immediately sat down and programmed 64 bit versions.
A handful... others, even "big" companies took forever !! So luckily Apple had programmed a 64->32 "bridge" to continue running 32 bit native AU Plugins in Logic.
The problem was -and is- that this bridge is a nightmare (opens windows and doesn't close them, crashes all the time etc) and I dearly hope Avid will do a better job programming something similar for PT (IF they do that).

Considering that it took e.g. Waves almost 2 years after Logic's switch to 64 to release the 64-bit AU-versions makes me think about how rough the switch to 64 might be with PT and third parties then...

There are still a number of AU-Plugins (some I love a lot) that have not yet or will never be 64 bit (I contacted all Companies to find out)... thios might happen too with PT.

64 bit is GREAT for some styles to work, but it will be crucial for Avid to release some kind of bridge (which hopefully works a lot better than apple's AU-bridge) ...otherwise some of us might have to wait for 1-2 years until switching to PT 11 because they dont want to lose a lot of their wonderful RTAS and TDM Plugins I guess ... (?)

Hard: ProTools HD 3, PCI-e core & accel, 96 I/O, 192 digital I/O, HD MADI / Sync I/O (not sync HD)
Quad-Core Mac, Intel