Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Default Any touch screen users here?

Hey all, after watching the video for Slate's MT1, and seeing it is likely to never go Windows, I wondered if anyone is using a regular touchscreen with Windows 7 and PT. If so how well does it work(what can you do, or NOT do). Thinking about adding one as a mix window, but not if I can drag a fader or tap an insert I've seen 24" screens for under $400

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-18-2013, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Any touch screen users here?

If you do lots of real-time automation rides, then you'll need to consider the latency of the touch screen. For accuracy and real-time use, they have a ways to go. Drop the polling rate of your mouse down to 1 ms and you'll unlikely "touch" anything else.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
If you do lots of real-time automation rides, then you'll need to consider the latency of the touch screen. For accuracy and real-time use, they have a ways to go. Drop the polling rate of your mouse down to 1 ms and you'll unlikely "touch" anything else.

Shane
Hmmm. Well, since I have a Faderport, I can do fader rides on that. So maybe just being able to tap the screen(left hand) to bring up sends or plugins would still be a step forward. Much of my "fader riding" now is actually mouse/breakpoint/adjustments(old habits really do die hard). Just trying to decide if one of these touchscreens really has anything to offer beyond the "gee whiz" factor

Old 10-19-2013, 01:54 PM

Have you tried editing a document on a smart phone or tablet?
I have a feeling it would be the same frustrations.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-19-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Shane
This is a curious thought.
Using v control pro on an iPad and wifi into PT via the modified Neyrink hui protocol, it works very good. I don't really enjoy mixing on it due to the size of the iPad, but it is very workable as far as response times.

Of course these monitors are different and using a different protocol than the above, but depending on the quality, it could be quite viable.... Or a pita I guess. Sure it will become a reality fairly soon.

I to am quite interested in the MTI. It's a shame windows support is where it is. It has been frustrating as plugin devs are doing the same thing. Getting Mac builds going, releasing, then bug fixing before starting on the windows builds. Its forcing me to move to different plugins for different needs.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-22-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm. Well, since I have a Faderport, I can do fader rides on that. So maybe just being able to tap the screen(left hand) to bring up sends or plugins would still be a step forward. Much of my "fader riding" now is actually mouse/breakpoint/adjustments(old habits really do die hard). Just trying to decide if one of these touchscreens really has anything to offer beyond the "gee whiz" factor
I hope you have long finger nails or small fingers to open inserts/sends accurately. If you have 3 in series, you'll need to be pretty precise just to open the one in the middle. I can see touch being used to quickly swipe track selections, mutes, record, or solo etc, but PT would need swiping to be developed in the UI along with the buttons reorganized. Don't forget a microfiber cloth to get rid of the finger prints, and make sure no nose pickers get on your work station. If you venture into this territory, definitely keep me posted with your tips. I was really into it myself until I tried it.

How's that PreSonus FaderPort? I take it this uses HUI in PT? I think I'll grab one and give it a go, as it looks very tactile and functional!

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM

Heh! The worst nose picker in my place is.......ME! Never mind where that finger has been....what about the NOSE? I'm diggin' the faderport and I expect it will work a tad better once I get rid of the 003(with 002/003 controllers, they "own' the first 8 tracks so the faderport doesn't quite have free reign). It does use HUI mode and also has a footswitch jack that can do stop/start(default) or quick-punch if you hit the SHIFT button on the unit. I finally got a hands-on with the Slate MT1 and they lowered the original price(now its $2499) but its still Mac only, and I'm not switching for that. I was also wondering how using a stylus or a closed sharpie(which is great on the Yamaha M7 touchscreen) would work on a generic touchscreen. Surprised that nobody has any experience, considering someone posted a photo a few months back showing what was described as a pair of Acer touchscreens. If i have any money left after moving to HDN and new IO, maybe I'll take a shot at it

Old 10-26-2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Heh! The worst nose picker in my place is.......ME! Never mind where that finger has been....what about the NOSE?
Remind me to never do any work on your rig. I'd have to bring a sterilizing kit with me.

Shane

Old 10-26-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Remind me to never do any work on your rig. I'd have to bring a sterilizing kit with me.

Shane
The gear is clean. Its my sleeve you should worry about

Old 10-27-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The gear is clean. Its my sleeve you should worry about
That puts the "hug 'n greet" outta the equation then.

Shane