Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Plugin Delay Compensation

Heard on Cubase PC forum http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewt...=261593#261593

Quote:
My main reason for not really liking ProTools LE/MP is that in this day of age it still does not have Plugin Delay Compensation. It's one of those things that once you have it you can't live without it.

I'm PT|MiX user & don't know PT|LE platform. I mean, we have it since v.6.4 or?

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 12-07-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Plugin Delay Compensation

Please confirm: Has PT|LE Automatic Delay Compensation or not? & if, than since when?

I`m on TDM system. Not that same.

Thank you very much

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 12-07-2005, 01:20 PM

No, LE does not have automatic delay compensation.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:40 PM

The reason PTLE has no plug in delay compensation. Is because I've read in a book on Pro Tools, that RTAS plug-ins have no inherent latency. While TDM plug-ins do. Which is why there is no need for one. But I do know people need it for the delay on VST plug-ins when using the expansion wrapper I heard.

bye
Old 12-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
The reason PTLE has no plug in delay compensation. Is because I've read in a book on Pro Tools, that RTAS plug-ins have no inherent latency. While TDM plug-ins do. Which is why there is no need for one. But I do know people need it for the delay on VST plug-ins when using the expansion wrapper I heard.

bye
That book can go in the trash. No there is no delay compensation. Yes there is RTAS delay. Maybe not in a single 'digi stock' plug, but throw a few on there, or a large third party plug and your gonna studder like a sob.
Jon
Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 PM

Just for the record, PT LE DOES have Plug-in Delay Compensation and Delay Compensation for various signal routings.

And a confirmation by Digidesign here.

What most of us are screaming for is to have our 3rd-party hardware accelerators like UAD-1 PoCo etc to be compensated for and our outboard.

Is the PDC we have the best? In my opinion, no. Can it be improved? It sure can.

PT LE does have Plug-in Delay Compesation and Delay Compensation for other signal routings such as Aux sends, A/D conversion etc.

PDC in LE works on plug-ins that dont have more than 2000 samples of delay.

Null tests will demonstrate this. But...it can be greatly improved in my opinion.

And please Digidesign, I think it is time to post a 'white paper' on exactly how this works in PT LE. This topic has been beaten to death with much speculation and false statements as demonstrated above. Even one of your own statements seems to be invalid regarding it being based on the hardware buffer.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-07-2005, 07:48 PM

Shane
I have researched this topic and I agree that the various posts are confusing and contradictory. I recently downloaded one of your sessions with an example workaround for phasing problems with multi bus compression for drums. If LE has PDC then why would that workaround be necessary?
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-07-2005, 08:06 PM

Because not all plug-ins get compensated. PDC in LE will work on plug-ins that dont have more than 2000 samples of delay. "How" that works, I do not know.

I posted a test (Video) on the forum awhile back that demonstrates changing the buffer size does nothing at all to the latency. This test invalidates that one Digi post that said it was based on the hardware buffer size. So, this 2000 samples seems to be fixed and not based on the hardware buffer setting.

I have done quite a few 'null' tests that will make you scratch your head.

I believe Rail mentioned that everything should work the way it is suppose to in PT LE 7. I cannot confirm this though.

I wish Digi would coment on this more.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-07-2005, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Just for the record, PT LE DOES have Plug-in Delay Compensation and Delay Compensation for various signal routings.

And a confirmation by Digidesign here.

What most of us are screaming for is to have our 3rd-party hardware accelerators like UAD-1 PoCo etc to be compensated for and our outboard.

Is the PDC we have the best? In my opinion, no. Can it be improved? It sure can.

PT LE does have Plug-in Delay Compesation and Delay Compensation for other signal routings such as Aux sends, A/D conversion etc.

Null tests will demonstrate this. But...it can be greatly improved in my opinion.

And please Digidesign, I think it is time to post a 'white paper' on exactly how this works in PT LE. This topic has been beaten to death with much speculation and false statements as demonstrated above.

Shane
OK the hardware buffer is in fact delay compensation. But the statement that RTAS don't cause delay is still bs which was my intended point. As far as the hardware buffer being an acceptable form of delay compensation, I'm still gonna throw a red flag on that. My session won't run on a low h\b due to numerous tracks\plugs to reduce the rtas delay. Disable tracks, lower the sampling rate, sure, there are workarounds that eat large amounts of my time while working. I guess thats why LE is LE, and why LE will never be HD no mater how hard I wish.
Jon
Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 PM

Quote:
...But the statement that RTAS don't cause delay is still bs which was my intended point. As far as the hardware buffer being an acceptable form of delay compensation
I can show you a test (video form) that will demonstrate that changing the buffer size does nothing to the latency and it will still null out and be compensated for. I will try and find my old post and make a link to the video. Also, Wil the moor has this video if you can contact him. I think he still has it hosted on his site.

I ammended my post above with additional data that I forgot. PDC works on plug-ins that dont have more than 2000 samples of delay.

Shane