Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 AM

Default Disappointing change in MIDI behavior

I recently upgraded to 10HD from 7HD, and just verified that this disappointing change is also in 12HD- new MIDI tracks default to region view instead of note view. Am I the only one that finds this to be a big drag on productivity? I'm having to change every track manually to note view. When you record MIDI into a new track set to region view, the track does not intelligently set the pitch view range to match the range of your playing, as it does in note view. So if I forget to set a new MIDI track to note view prior to recording MIDI, the helpful feature of having what I played centered vertically in the track is lost. Also in region view, you can't edit individual events. Why was this changed? Could we at least get a preference setting to maintain (superior) legacy behavior?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Disappointing change in MIDI behavior

Make a video.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPC View Post
Make a video.
Why is there a need for a video, just create a midi track.

I highly doubt though this is on the Avid radar. Just hold down alt (PC) or command (Mac) and you can change all the midi tracks at once to Note or whatever view. I work in not view also but guess I don't really see it as a big deal. if your cursor is in the track, just hit the - key and it will change to note view as well.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-16-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
I recently upgraded to 10HD from 7HD, and just verified that this disappointing change is also in 12HD...
The MIDI in PT pre v8 was definitely better. Many things broke in PT 8 and have yet to be fixed...7 years later. Don't count on any fixes/changes any time soon.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-16-2016, 08:48 PM

According to SoundOnSound Midi had big improvements since PT8

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...s/protools.asp

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct0...toolsnotes.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0...toolsnotes.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0.../protools7.htm

2009 January
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0...otools8pt1.htm
2009 February
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb0...cles/pt8ii.htm
2009 March
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...es/pt_0309.htm

I do not have older hardware&licenses to make a comparison.
Maybe what it seems strange to you, is normal to me & others.
That's why a video is so important, to understand the differences.
So far the unique midi quantize is awesome.

http://youtu.be/TabVKvOYtBo
Old 02-17-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPC View Post

I do not have older hardware&licenses to make a comparison.
Maybe what it seems strange to you, is normal to me & others.
That's why a video is so important, to understand the differences.
So far the unique midi quantize is awesome.
Your reviews are from like version 5, not 8 or whatever. I was on 7 and the big change is the added notation editor, which is great. That doesn't mean other things aren't worse.

MIDI tracks used to default to note view. It was better. They made a change for the worse and didn't allow a preference setting to maintain superior legacy behavior. It's not like the MIDI preferences panel is crowded.

While we're at it, legacy behavior of MIDI note preview was better. You touched a note to preview it, or dragged it to hear the pitch change. Now it previews notes on velocity change. Previewing velocity changes at machine-gun speed is an awful idea most of the time. Velocity changes are usually relative to the notes around a note, not to the note itself. So rapidly repeating the same note as you drag the velocity control point erases your sense of relative volume compared to the rest of the part. There's another change without a preference setting to maintain superior legacy behavior. Maybe someone likes to hear a machine gun snare as they drag velocity. How about a preference setting for people who don't.

If you need a video to get it, and you're happy with MIDI how it is, you probably don't need to be wasting time listening to me.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:54 AM

Well, personally I never liked the note view on the main edit page, I want all my tracks to be consistently on regions for chopping clips etc. If you want note view, go into the Midi Editor window....
Old 02-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Well, personally I never liked the note view on the main edit page, I want all my tracks to be consistently on regions for chopping clips etc. If you want note view, go into the Midi Editor window....
what decent excuse is there not to just offer the track default view as a preference? Bloat in the MIDI preferences panel? Hardly. Then you can have your crippled region view and I can have my fully functional note view.

BTW you can chop clips fine with MIDI note view. There is literally no need to ever use region view. Region editor is like a graphical bug, it takes away functionality without adding anything. Editing, copying, whatever, works just the same with note view, I guess unless you only know how to use the hand tool. And no thank you to the MIDI editor window... defeats the entire beauty of ProTools, which is the elegance of the main editor window. I have literally never used the midi editor window a single time. What a huge productivity drag to need multiple windows for the same data. Leave that mentality to the less elegant DAWs.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
what decent excuse is there not to just offer the track default view as a preference? Bloat in the MIDI preferences panel? Hardly. Then you can have your crippled region view and I can have my fully functional note view.

BTW you can chop clips fine with MIDI note view. There is literally no need to ever use region view. Region editor is like a graphical bug, it takes away functionality without adding anything. Editing, copying, whatever, works just the same with note view, I guess unless you only know how to use the hand tool. And no thank you to the MIDI editor window... defeats the entire beauty of ProTools, which is the elegance of the main editor window. I have literally never used the midi editor window a single time. What a huge productivity drag to need multiple windows for the same data. Leave that mentality to the less elegant DAWs.

Not only does it look ugly, if you, want to, say, copy and paste 8 bars when the track is small with the smart tool, you almost inevitably end up moving a note by accident. It's a real PITA. Keep it as clips, and there is no problem.

If you don't want to use MIDI editor window that's your choice, but you're in the minority as most people think it's a vast improvement over the old system of having to do everything in the same window.

But yeah not against having it as a preference setting.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Not only does it look ugly, if you, want to, say, copy and paste 8 bars when the track is small with the smart tool, you almost inevitably end up moving a note by accident. It's a real PITA. Keep it as clips, and there is no problem.

If you don't want to use MIDI editor window that's your choice, but you're in the minority as most people think it's a vast improvement over the old system of having to do everything in the same window.

But yeah not against having it as a preference setting.
How do you know I'm in the minority? You taking a poll somewhere? And your editing trouble in ProTools? Hardly fair to remove/degrade a feature based on user error. I don't seem to have that problem you describe with cutting and pasting accurately in ProTools. No need to dumb down professional software to make it easy mode.