Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 01:32 AM

Default TDM Question

Hi there,

Currently using 002R PTLE with a Control 24.
If I were to upgrade to a HD1 card, can I only connect a 192i/o to it ?
(I don't need to be able to work at 192 and even 96 is optimistic)
As I see it I get Plug in delay compensation and it will free up my host pc to run more virtual instruments.
All I need at the moment is the ability to run PT7 with 16x 24 bit 48K inputs.
I can upgrade the i/o and add accel cards later as required.
While I can afford the HD1 card, I can't stretch to the 192i/o (Which I don't need anyway)
Lastly, is there a hardware exchange option on the 002R or am I better off selling it privately?

Thanks

Lizardpoint
Old 11-25-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: TDM Question

Hi Lizard,

I just recently upgraded from 002 to HD and I was able to go hd4 (lucky me). You could go the 96i/o which is a little less expensive. Although the 192 can do higher sample rates you don't have to use them, but it also has better sounding converters than the 96i/o IMO. But the 96 i/o will get you up and running with the HD and you can later buy a great Pre with Digital option to go through the 96i/o.

Hope that helps.

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 11-25-2005, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Hi there,

Currently using 002R PTLE with a Control 24.
That is the system I cuurently use also. But where is that affordable mid system between 002 and HD that we can upgrade to?

Check out the thread "Poor mans HD rig..."

Buy the stuff second hand and you'll be set to go. I have seen HD1 & 96I/O combos go for $5000 on ebay and DUC buy and sell.

Now that we have PT 7, the TDM/RTAS hybrid is the way to go if you have outgrown your current LE rig. And it is very open to future expansion.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-25-2005, 08:55 AM

Big D answered it right IMO...

192 is better sounding/quality (subjectively, of course).
Also, offers real-time SRC if wanted/needed. Soft clip is quite nice...learn digital engineering and run things well, and soft clip will not be needed, but it is nice to have protection...

96 I/O will get ya going, and you could always sell and grab a 192 I/O later...or, my suggestion, grab the 96 I/O, and add a nice Mytec or Lavry 2 channel ADC ASAP. Then, expand as you go.

Sell the 002R privately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:46 AM

Can I chime in...
When I upgraded from 002 to HD1 I was very dissappointed!!!
96i or not, I couldn't run as many TDM plugins as I could RTAS with the 002,
and now with the absence of HTDM plugins for version 7, an HD1's only
noticeable improvement over the 002 would be delay compensation.

Just my opinion...I was pi$$ed at first!

But, the UPside is. Once I bought an Accel card, It finally acted like I thought
a $10,000 upgrade should. I wish I would have known this in the beginning!

Adrian
Old 11-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Can I chime in...
When I upgraded from 002 to HD1 I was very dissappointed!!!
96i or not, I couldn't run as many TDM plugins as I could RTAS with the 002,
and now with the absence of HTDM plugins for version 7, an HD1's only
noticeable improvement over the 002 would be delay compensation.

Just my opinion...I was pi$$ed at first!

But, the UPside is. Once I bought an Accel card, It finally acted like I thought
a $10,000 upgrade should. I wish I would have known this in the beginning!

Adrian
This is the biggest caveat IMO. HD is definitely a great tool. I would hate to have to go back to LE, or anything else currently out there ('cept maybe RADAR). PARIS is cool, but it is no longer developed, plugins are extremely limited (powered by on card DSP)...

Having to use RTAS with an HD system is a serious caveat, and has impact. Read the article I wrote (more to come), and check the flowchart. Take some time, and it becomes pretty apparent just why one would want to avoid RTAS use with an HD sytem. RTAS instruments are different, simply because they are not having audio streamed thru them (typically).

There are those that will disagree with my statements. However, there are those who will agree, as evidences here by Adrian's comment. Personally, I avoid RTAS use if at all possible. Only RTAS instruments.

Also, HD uses the 48-bit fixed mixer. Educate yourself, spend time with both (32-bit float and 48-bit fixed) and decide for yourself.

Personally, I wish there were a way for Digi to do away with the hardware requirements (aka, they "force" you to use theirs). Sell three versions: Entry level, $250 street, 32 track, 32 buss, etc. Next step is $500-600 street, what LE is today (your hardware), but up track limit to 64, allow 5.1, and 128 busses. Allow adding DV toolkit and other pieces; allow upgrading Beat Detective if desired. And for the thrid, $2000 HD...BUT! use your own hardware. All the features of HD currently, but no TDM Mixer. 32-bit float, full featured equiv of Nuendo 3. Then, if someone wants to go 48-bit fixed and use the Digi HD Cards for DSP and all the (incredible) advantages it offers, simply swap the mixer plugins in the folder, place cards in slots, fire up, and PT reconfigs accordingly.

HD1 gets ya in the door...and it is a big door to get thru. Try to save enough for an Accel card; or, at least an HD Process (non-Accel). Build a nice 3 DSP mixer or better, add ADC Long, and you are wishing for another card. Try some of the top plugins, and you are begging for another. Add in trying 24/96k, working in 5.1, and some of the Accel only plugs, and it becomes very apparent why an HD3 Accel as a minimum is understandable...and all too desireable.

But- HD1 does get you in the door!!! I say go for it if you have a clear plan to add another card. Or two...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Try some of the top plugins, and you are begging for another.
Very true. IMHO, TDM plugs are generally close or exceed their hardware counterparts. Of course you DO pay for them.

http://www.badrap.org
Old 11-25-2005, 07:20 PM

And if you want to expand your HD 1 system very cheaply you can hunt around for a used original HD process card. I have seen these recently go for $650 to $800 on the used market.

You wont get the full benefits of an Accel card but you'll get some great power added for cheap.

I have also seen the Adat Bridge I/O go for $50-$150 on the used market. This will give you 16 Adat lightpipe I/O via the legacy port on your 96 I/O.

Some affordable alternatives for the budget minded.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit