Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Upgrading from Pro Tools 9 to 9 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclef101 View Post
I just picked up a native card and I wanted to know do I need to uninstall Pro Tools 9 before I install HD 9? Has there been any problems or issues I need to be aware of? Thanks for any help, before I screw anything up!!!

Yes you need to uninstall the any other version of pro tools 9 before installing the HD 9 otherwise it will not work instead when you will install the HD 9 it will give an error that pro tools already exist if you want to install it uninstall the previous version from the system.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 AM

hey NST7 maybe you can come over and help me !
Old 05-16-2011, 02:39 PM

One thing to keep in mind when upgrading to HD 9. Make sure you only have Pro Tools 9HD on your iLok. I didn't move my old Pro Tools 9 software off the iLok and every time I went to start up Pro Tools 9HD it would go straight to Pro Tools 9. This was after I completely removed and uninstalled Pro Tools 9. It appears that Pro Tools 9 is in Pro Tools 9 HD so if you don't remove it off your iLok, it will continually revert back to Pro Tools 9. It sounds confusing but, the bottom line is one Pro Tools 9 or HD on one iLok. I moved my other one to my old iLok to use on any other computer i my get.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood501 View Post
One thing to keep in mind when upgrading to HD 9. Make sure you only have Pro Tools 9HD on your iLok. I didn't move my old Pro Tools 9 software off the iLok and every time I went to start up Pro Tools 9HD it would go straight to Pro Tools 9. This was after I completely removed and uninstalled Pro Tools 9. It appears that Pro Tools 9 is in Pro Tools 9 HD so if you don't remove it off your iLok, it will continually revert back to Pro Tools 9. It sounds confusing but, the bottom line is one Pro Tools 9 or HD on one iLok. I moved my other one to my old iLok to use on any other computer i my get.
For PT9HD to run, you have to have a PT9HD asset on your iLok, and you have to have an HD Core card or an HD Native card in your computer.

Did you have one of these cards in your computer?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Actually, that's not correct. You can install and run the software without any card attached. I recently bought HD Native card and software, but I only have my 2007 Imac because I can't yet afford a Mac Pro. My HD Native card has been sitting on a shelf, but I downloaded and installed HD 9 and it's running fine.

When I launch Protools, it actually does say "HD 9" when the program is starting up.

Also, for what it's worth, the Ilok asset under HD9 also includes the license for HD 8, and standard PT9 (not sure why that is). However, these are "sub licenses", in that you can't separate them out to move them or sell them, etc.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Actually, that's not correct. You can install and run the software without any card attached. I recently bought HD Native card and software, but I only have my 2007 Imac because I can't yet afford a Mac Pro. My HD Native card has been sitting on a shelf, but I downloaded and installed HD 9 and it's running fine.

When I launch Protools, it actually does say "HD 9" when the program is starting up.
...but it's really just running PT 9 with the CPTK 2 in this case and not "HD Native", even though the splash screen is displayed.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 AM

Slightly linked question. Since PT9 HD and PT9 CPTK are meant to be "essentially" the same thing... If I brought in a PT9 CPTK iLok, would that run a native card if I had one attached? Or would I need an extra PT9 HD license?

I am pretty sure the answer would be no, but it would be great if it could...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 AM

I am not sure I understand the question fully? When I put my native card in my system before I updated to 9hd the native card showed up in 9. I didn't use it at that point so no answer on that. I updated my system to 9HD. I opened Pro Tools but 9 showed up not HD. I was at first confused to why but then I added my license to my ilok and reopened Pro Tools and HD opened after that. So my understand is it is the license that you have that dictates what opens up.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Avid

I think this bears a little clarification.

Pro Tools 9 is a consolidated application, meaning it is a full installation of Pro Tools 9, including HD. The authorization on your iLok determines which version is launched and which features you have available.

You should not need to uninstall and reinstall anything - just install the driver for the hardware you're using (HD hardware doesn't need an installation, as the drivers are installed with Pro Tools 9), plug in the iLok with the HD license and you should be good to go.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:10 PM

Thumbs up Re: Upgrading from Pro Tools 9 to 9 HD

Thanks for the official clarification, DTS. Much appreciated.
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid