Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Will Avid abandon DSP processing?

You saw light peak and now the upcoming HD Native Friday. Tdm will have its overhaul. At this tage it just has to. As long as there is demand and money to be made Avid will do it. Think about how much they can make off the upgrade fee.

http://www.myspace.com/waynedawkins
Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM

The end of TDM has been predicted for years. TDM is not going away. I need to have 2 TDM systems sync'd together all the time. I wish I had a TDM card with 4X the DSP and double the voices.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
The end of TDM has been predicted for years. TDM is not going away.
These are the facts.

There's at least one more 5+ year product cycle in it. If you allow me to predict...2 more cyles or 10 more years of Avid external DSP. Brawn, not brains, will be the future of PT this decade.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:09 AM

My dealer told me there will be some "very interesting" news from Avid on the AES New York....
Old 11-04-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Studio View Post
My dealer told me there will be some "very interesting" news from Avid on the AES New York....
I doubt it will be about HD or TDM, next should be an update of the OO3 series.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:53 AM

Default Re: AWill Avid abandon DSP processing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
My old MPC is capable of playing back samples with a WHOLE lot less latency than ANY Mac or PC hosting a VI. ANY of my synthesizers (Korg & Roland) are playing back instruments FASTER than ANY PC or MAC.

So it is not so much about the actual horse power it is about how you use what you've got. Native Instruments throws in a 45 Gigabyte Library with their sampler Kontakt 4. The 512 MEGABYTE in my Korg M3 are SOOOOO SUPERIOR to ANY sound inside of the K4 library. Why, well because the Korg programmers KNOW how to program sounds and make them playable. Cant say that about K4.

besides, loading up K4 as standalone or plug - then adding 16 heavy instruments. At a 64 samples Buffer - That is when the CPU goes down into its knees - Might I add the fastest available today. My Korg never bends its knees even when playing 16 sounds simultaneously ALL with effects.

Apple or intel DOES NOT make CPUs for the pro audio industry. They make them so that john and jane doe can sit at home and stun over nice graphics and stupid Finder window blend-effects. Keep that in mind. That is exactly WHAY Logic has totally LOST professional momentum since Apple took Emagic over.

I LAUGHED as I sa Gerhart Lengeling - Father of EMAGIC - sitting at the latest Apple Mind-Screw and playing to the new Garage Band seeing if he could hit the notes right.
That man SOLD his soul to the devil personified by Apple. And hell is where Logic and all its old userbase went
I do feel the same, I see no BS in this. It really is not about the horsepower. I see most of real musicians dusting off their synths as lets face the fact they DO sound so much better. Sure enough they do not have 8cores inside. And what do these Lexicon rack mounted reverbs have inside? 386's?

I don't know that much about Apple, but personally I'm not too happy that they have become what they are. I'm afraid a bit that if every kid has a Mac sure the viruses will start to come up and that would not be good at all. Also the Microsoftish moves like when they don't put Flash in my phone because they don't like Flash are not nice at all. I do understand why they bought Emagic and why they are giving away the program. Sure not too good for the developers and users.

That is why I believe in Avid. They are doing this program only so that we are happy and use it. It might seem that they don't care about this and that but I'm sure they do. It's just a too clumsy and big monster they have created and to change or implement something does take too much time. That is what they should work on. But I understand this might be impossible as they have so many different product lines that all are connected to each other. And they cannot strip down as actually every product line sells well.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 AM

Default Re: AWill Avid abandon DSP processing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
There has been a lot of discussion about this lately, so just check these threads. I personally believe that reliable DSP based systems is what sets Avid apart of the competition and they will keep the TDM alive. Don't forget that Venue systems are DSP based TDM systems and have taken the live audio world by storm and these systems need to evolve at some point soon. This can be done only AFTER PT TDM has been updated so think about it. Modern native systems are nice, but do we really want to change our computers every year and go thru the optimization and all that over and over again?? I sure don't. I want to invest into a system that will serve me at least 5 years or better 7, something like the current system has been doing.
Bingo.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 AM

I was hoping for some words from Avid...

But, from my point of view, facts are that the mixer in pro tools hd sounds way better than the native stuff. I don't really know why. May be the 48 bits internal bussing or the fact that uses a dedicated DSP processing or that digital words are properly managed but I can hear the difference. Of course after the fact it's really difficult to spot the difference if you hear the final product in mp3 but for me is what happend DURING the process that makes the difference. And when I started with pro tools I was able to replicate in the box every single trick I was doing in the ssl (and some more...) Also the automatic delay compensation gave another mayor step forward the transparency and naturaleness of sounds. I worked hard to get the ITB replicas of every single hardware I had in my Capri Studio and I can say that even if it's not the same thing the give me what I'm asking in terms of compression, colouring and "distorting" the sound.

And up to now I only can rely on HD with large recording sessions and really large mixing sessions.

So I hope Avid will keep this channel open, but still as computers go on also dsp is advancing and I would like to know where it's aiming.

I don't think TDMII is outdated and I feel it's a clean and functional way to offer really low latency in processing. One of the reason I like TDM is that I do all my processing even during recording. Still native system has problems with that.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6.0 - Monterey
MacBook M1Pro 10-16GB
Dangerous Music Summing - Focusrite Dante Rednet2 - Amek/Neve, Focusrite, TC Electronics, Mytek DA, Apogee ADDA
Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 AM

FWIW I think there are some great points made here. If I was to predict, I think the future of TDM/HD is a tighter integration with Native processing power. What I mean is a system that can use more of the host computers cpu without taking any kind of performance hit. Kind of like you took a HD Native system and added TDM back to it. There are some work arounds required right now to use RTAS in a HD system. So much so that, at least from my understanding, a lot of people avoid mixing TDM and RTAS. Well what if they could offer you seamless integration of both. You could more fully utilize these computers that are getting more and more powerful by the day. I also think they will update the line of HD cards soon also to make this possible. And I would expect a bump in performance also. Don't know how much of a bump, but as mentioned, I don't see HD/TDM going anywhere any time soon. It's just time to bring it up to date.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 AM

No.