Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2010, 01:19 PM

Default Re: It's that time again, PT 9 Suggestions!

Assuming Digi is working on Pro Tools 9, then they have already decided what to work on and this is all a waste...

IMO they need to fix PT 8.x
And they need to give us PPC users the updates and fixes of 8.0.3 FIRST.

Taking care of the installed base should have the highest priority.
Fixing bugs should have the second highest priority.
New software with NEW bugs should have the lowest priorty.

But hey, it's all about the money...

kopper
Old 02-01-2010, 03:57 PM

How about on importing settings from another session to the current mix they separate out automation controls. So you can choose to bring in the automation or not.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
It is him mentioning this wherever he can and it SUX! I agree that this does not belong to this thread.

My vote is:

1.) Better AppleScript support, everyone who is into AS knows that the lack of AS support in PT is a PITA. I know that PT has to stay cross platform but Windows users have access to such levels as well, today.

2. ) A customizable user interface. E.G. I cannot live with the fact that the "BPM" field in the the Edit Window is as small as it is now. I want to resize it, make the font sharper, or be able to open a small extra window that shows just that, the BPM.

In response to Oliver M

They could also do an Adobe CS workspaces type of thing with a set up of your favorite windows. Resized etc. to how you like them. For midi you could open up a workspace that has all your favorite settings. When doing audio you could do the same. Just switch the workspace to your preference depending on what you are working on.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 PM

I mean seriously guys, PT 8 is barely stable and you can't even run video with it now. Why are we even talking about PT9? Do we just give up on anything working well anymore? Does anyone remember PT5.1?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
I mean seriously guys, PT 8 is barely stable and you can't even run video with it now. Why are we even talking about PT9? Do we just give up on anything working well anymore? Does anyone remember PT5.1?
So we should put our foot down and yell 'no more fixes!' ??

I remember 5.1 - there are but two of those rigs still running here. I think this type of thread is a good litmus test for Digi to know what we're most concerned about. The video aspect is important - I've been resetting a Canopus three days a week between sessions on eggshells hoping it won't crash PT. I'm with you. But we need to have the gaps filled in as Digi/AVID keeps moving forward.

- I/O / System settings lock would be huge.
- DSP Cache sorted out would be great (so I don't have to keep turning it off).
- Fade Files being re-tooled would also be great - but I've found that if there IS a problem with Fades (and sometimes I have about 10,000 in the folder), I can delete the Fade Files folder and let PT 'rebuild' the folder, which can be faster than letting PT search for Fades wherever they may be.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I mean seriously guys, PT 8 is barely stable and you can't even run video with it now. Why are we even talking about PT9? Do we just give up on anything working well anymore?
If your DAW is "barely stable," something is seriously wrong. Have you moved up to 10.6. and 803? It's a brilliant foundation for a DAW. We run 803 and 10.6 here and it's rock solid now. (When you move to 10.6, do not install 10.6 on top of 10.5!!!!!! Apple seems to actually be promoting this dangerous and unprofessional installation method on the Snow Leopard installer for the first time.)

Quote:
Does anyone remember PT5.1?
I do! I do! I did Pro Tools tech support back then at NYC studios

I remember:

- the endless streams of system killing b-tree errors happening non stop on PIECE OF **** scsi drives, running norton utilities every day, every few hours sometimes to keep apps from crashing

-restarting 30 times, trying every possible permutation to single out that pesky conflicting extension.

-A flimsy OS9. Unix OSX 10.6 is building a DAW on bedrock. OS9 was building your DAW on balsa wood. Just that difference alone negates anyones statement who say the day of 5.1 was better.

-I remember pathetic junk monsters like Quadras, Performas and Centras...compared to our 8 Core Mac Pros?!? Our machines have enough muscle to tear through any bottlenecks or problems.

- remember being able to run maybe 1 or 2 rtas VIs. "You want VI synths that you can run more than two of? Sorry, you have one choice...Virus TDM." (Luckily...soooo luckily that is arguably the best synth ever made.)

- a laggard PT software development team. A bit earlier, it was a well known fact that Logic 4 could do way more in editing or mixing on PT III hardware than Pro Tools software could do on PT III hardware!!!

- A PT 5.1 software that you couldn't do jack **** on unless you wanted to record, edit or mix audio in.

-OMS..."give demerit where demerit is due."

-And most of all, I remember the crap digital 888 conversions and painful digital summing.

Quote:
Does anyone remember PT5.1?
To sum it up, I remember very clearly, it sucked.... terrible sound quality on totally crap flimsy systems on crap computers and multitudes more help calls from studio managers.

Yeah PT8 is far from bug free, but pleeeeeease!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:17 AM

A few more features

• Being able to see 2 Quicktime pictures in any session. For those in films and tv, this would be a tremedous help for making recuts

• Being able to have 2 sessions opened at the same time. Rather than take the long PT convoluted way of importing sounds into another session, simply drag and drop between sessions is what we need

• Settings Lock

• When you export a region group....it would kind of be handy if it kept all the automation and levels etc in the region group. There is little point exporting them if on import into another session it resets everything to zero within the region group

• When recutting tracks, that the comping tracks are recut also. Whats the point using comping tracks in Post if we can't reconform them

I do wonder if any of the features are thought through properly...they certainly aren't with Post in mind thats for sure
Old 02-02-2010, 09:35 AM

I'll stick to the bare essentials, upon which many features requested here are based anyways:

-Offline bouncing
-True unlimited automatic delay compensation

You'll never go anywhere forward with a modern DAW without that foundation. Aside from that, PT does pretty much everything I want it to for now.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM

the ability to delete multiple non contiguous playlists without having to constantly re-open the "delete playlists" window

Being able to choose if you want TDM to reshuffle all your DSP when you add a plug-in?

Or just be able to simply the DSP reshuffle process on TDM if you don't feel like waiting half an hour for it to recalculate DSP?

How about "Show only active tracks" as an option in the show hide window?

And then ridiculous requests like,
Could I have more than one session open at a time?
Stop charging for a feature as basic as MP3 export?
How about a non-real time bounce?

How about automatically switching some plug-ins to RTAS plug-ins when there aren't enough resources in TDM?

Plug in Chains please?
And perhaps a browser for plug in chains. A good browser.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:25 PM

1- Delay compensation in LE for compatibility with HD.

2- add Pref to "lock out" time stretching tool from the trim tool.

3- fix the multi-mono signal generator. its out of phase.

4- add a phase flip and trim knob to every track. No need to use up a insert slot for such a basic function at this point.

5- add a "lift from output assignment" button. say a track is assigned to output 3-4 and has a bus send set to bus 1. I want a button that can stop the post fader signal going to output 3-4, but still want the signal to go to bus 1-2 without resorting to track duplicating cumbersomeness.

6- Less doodads ahead of track names in Show/Hide window. There are like a zillion different graphical characters ahead of the actual track names and all I need the window for is hiding or showing tracks. I hate having to make it half the size of my screen for me to read the track name.

7- ability to use stereo tracks without having to convert to split stereo.

8- a truly functional "optimize for system" button in the "playback engine" dialog. I just want the thing to figure out what the maximum performance my system is capable of and just set it and forget it.

9- General improvement in sound quality from stock hardware.

Last edited by ajv205; 02-03-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo