Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Play/Pause issue driving me nuts...

ctrl+win+space
Old 01-17-2009, 06:09 AM

I forgot to check if open ended recording was checked after installing PT8, and it was. When I put in a value of 5 minutes instead, the problem was actually almost gone. Almost, as it occured several times, but not nearly as much as earlier.

That being said, I have had some ups and downs earlier, so it may be back to normal (hell) the next time I fire up the computer.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
I forgot to check if open ended recording was checked after installing PT8, and it was. When I put in a value of 5 minutes instead,...
Setting the Open Ended Record Allocation should be a standard procedure. In fact, I think Digi should ship it with a default of 10-20 minutes with documentation regarding it in the Getting Started Guides on page 1 but, since there are some who dont read the docs, the forum would be flooded with questions like, "How come I cant record past 10 min? PT Sucks!!" This is the first parameter I always change in PT(Since PT 5.01) and everyone should change it after getting an understanding of what it does in the Docs. With 750GB and 1T+ drives these days, it's not good to have Record Allocation looking at the entire drive. It will take hours before PT kicks into recording if this isnt changed.

Imagine having 5T or 10T Audio drives with Record Allocation not set? You'd hit record, go mo the lawn, come back and still be waiting for PT to kick into record mode.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Setting the Open Ended Record Allocation should be a standard procedure.
Yeah, I just forgot to change it when I installed PT8. The play/pause problem is there nonetheless, but it improved considerably, so I kept my sanity today, at least.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:36 PM

I've been following this thread and have posted on it on a couple of occasions. I've had a very similar experience to Sabe with some years and at least three different home build PCs'. I've had the play/pause problem since PT6 and all the way through to PT8 at varying times. I had PT8 running after a few weeks of troubleshooting, but now trouble's back. This problem is so random and so frustrating, and to complicate it just that little bit further my 003 will stall yet the PC keyboard will get me into record/playback ... sometimes. Thankfully I don't have to make a living with this junk ... I just use it for fun???????????????
Old 01-19-2009, 12:58 AM

I was the OP for this thread...thought i'd provide a quick update. I had never seen the issue on 7.4 with the mbox mini (usb)...but did see it with the 003 (onboard firewire) on 7.4. I upgraded to PTLE8 and was able to lower the buffer on the mbox to 64 which is what I had been using on the 003 and began to see it on the mbox as well. I don't know if it was due to 8.0 or the lower buffer setting, but I am sure that the steps I used to reliably reproduce on 7.4 / 003 did not occur with 7.4 / mini.

That being said, this issue hasn't managed to spoil 8.0 for me...what a great release...well done!!!

Digi, I realize that you guys have fixed variants of this bug in the past...are you able to reproduce this issue in house?
Old 01-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Banned

Up to now I have ignored this thread after the first couple as it didn't apply to me. Certainly not in the short time I had 7.4.x
Now after the upgrade to PT8, it still didn't happen until yesterday.
I had the problem using the 003. When I pressed play after arming a track it just sat there and I only got it going again by using the spacebar. Unfortunately, all my mucking around whilst fixing the problem didn't show why it was there nor could I recreate it.
Today I reopened the same session and tried again. It went into pause. Then I thought about the open ended thing but, no, that was set to 10mins. Tried again and it was quicker but still no cigar.
In this session it was only an experiment to test recording guitar so there were no plugins except Superior Drums to give me a backing.
So I took it out and retried and after that not one pause before recording stated. The SD angle may be incorrect but I am just throwing things into a pot that may either be common or hint at a reason.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:07 AM

Not sure if this adds anything but a colleague informed me he had this issue and observed that pressing play was like each track had to unmute one-by-one (Midi first, he said) until each track sounded. Don't have any other details yet.
I had it on my system last night and raised the buffer setting from 64 to 1024 and it seemed to be ok.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:05 AM

As time passes I am finding this less on sessions created locally in PT8 than in imported sessions from earlier versions.

Anyone else noticing this?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
As time passes I am finding this less on sessions created locally in PT8 than in imported sessions from earlier versions.

Anyone else noticing this?
Actually Tom I found the opposite.

It seems that it only happens to me in trying to record and in that case I always lower the samples to 128. I found I could not record guitar at 64. It sounded like I had a dodgy guitar lead that wasn't making a connection. The sound just came and went. I don't recall having the problem at 1024.