Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2018, 02:21 PM

Default S6 Memory Error

Forgive me if this topic has already been brought up but I couldn't find it via "Search" so here goes...

I'm running an S6 M40 16 5D system connected to a single MacPro (10.13.3) running just ProTools 2018.1. I noticed the ICON in the Settings>Workstations>Connected box has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it over it. After looking around a bit I selected "Status Graphs" at the bottom of the Workstations window and my Memory shows 95% usage !!! Does anyone know what this means? Am I going to run out of memory with the next update?
Old 02-27-2018, 03:33 PM

Default Re: S6 Memory Error

Probably because your S6 is having a problem connecting to your host.
Try opening the connection app on your mac , going to network settings and see whappen there. The S6 manual has a lovely section on connection & set up.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 02-27-2018, 06:34 PM
Avid

These graphs are specific to the workstation and not the S6 Master Module. If the memory usage is very high Pro Tools will also show low memory in the system usage window. Lower your disk cache, close other open applications, or add more RAM to your workstation.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
These graphs are specific to the workstation and not the S6 Master Module. If the memory usage is very high Pro Tools will also show low memory in the system usage window. Lower your disk cache, close other open applications, or add more RAM to your workstation.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply! Very interesting. I didn't realize the S6 memory meter reflects system memory (which is quite a relief). I tried some things and here's what I saw (the session I'm testing with is very small/low memory usage):
- my computer has 16GB installed and the Mac Activity Monitor says I'm using a bit over 6GB of it with the normal things I have open left running. The ProTools memory meter shows about 15% less usage than this, the S6 is basically pegged.
- When I change the size of my cache almost nothing changes. The memory meter in the S6 drops by small tenth's of a percent and the Mac Activity Monitor changes by less than half of the change in cache size but the ProTools memory meter changes by about the change in the cache size
- When I close applications running in the background I get a much bigger change in the Mac Activity Monitor, a roughly corresponding change on the S6 but much less on the Pro Tools monitor.
- If I start the computer and only launch the WS app, the Mac will show about 4 GB used (of 16) but the S6 will show over 50%. Per the above, the only thing that changes it much are other apps being open and just as you suggested, the standard ones do get the S6 meter up 95%+ causing the warning icon.

All of this is pretty weird and inconsistent so I'm not clear WHAT is actually going on but at least I can get the warning icon off by closing applications. The problem with that is, there are only two open and I USE them! Seems like 16Gb ought to be enough at least running small sessions and the Mac certainly doesn't show any evidence of much memory being used, even when the warning is up. It's just the S6. Very weird. I wonder if there might be a -917X error clue in all of this somewhere...?

Hi Priorytools,

Thank you very much for the suggestion - much appreciated! The network connection (thank goodness) is solid as a rock which is reflected in the S6 data and the Mac info. Reasonable prospect though, again, thanks!

Last edited by rus5; 02-28-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Avid

The Workstation page shows details of the Workstatinos memory and cpu, the Surface page shows the S6 memory and CPU usage.
Unfortunatly the numbers we get are directly from OSX so we have no way of knowing what they mean. They are supposed to show % used, I'll get the software guy to take a look though.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
The Workstation page shows details of the Workstatinos memory and cpu, the Surface page shows the S6 memory and CPU usage.
Unfortunatly the numbers we get are directly from OSX so we have no way of knowing what they mean. They are supposed to show % used, I'll get the software guy to take a look though.
Hi Eddie,
Ok, got it - thanks for the input. And appreciate your letting the s/w guy know. Understanding what's going on might be useful. Main thing for me right now is learning from Jeff's post that the "memory warning" I was seeing doesn't mean something is wrong with my S6 or that I'm running out of memory somehow and won't be able to handle another software update. Thanks to both of you guys for the help!

Last edited by rus5; 02-28-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Avid

You have to select what module you want to see first