Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

As far as DANTE is concerned on the MTRX, it is just one type of digital IO possible by adding the IP audio option card and addressable in the routing matrix in DADman.

Throughput latency going DANTE In to DANTE Out with the MTRX is very similar to that of MADI In to MADI Out by a few samples. Certainly if you are integrating software solutions like Dante Virtual Soundcard you are going to induce a bunch of delay for the IO buffers, however you will not if you are connecting devices using the Brooklyn II chipset.

https://www.audinate.com/products/ma...te-brooklyn-ii

best,

Jeff

Hi Jeff-

Thanks for your response, however that's an answer to a different question.

To be more clear- PTHD currently has no ability to manually input offsets for IO latency (not just buffers, but actual converter/interface latency). For many interfaces with a digilink card this means that overdubs are not placed correctly on the timeline. For instance the Burl Mothership is off by (IIRC) 44 samples. This is because the *only* interfaces that PTHD correctly accounts for their IO latencies are the 192's or those that can exactly match the IO latency of the 192.

The question I am asking is, considering that flexible routing is a cornerstone to what both the MTRX and dante is, will the introduction of the MTRX mean that PT is going to make this more adjustable for users?

Even setting aside scenarios with Dante for a minute, one of the features of the MTRX is that it has a flexible internal patchbay. This could be very useful to allow users to eliminate their analog patchbays and connect all their gear directly to the MTRX. However if the user then daisy chains several outboard FX with the MTRX router- they forfeit the ability to compensate for the IO latency and the ability to have those audio files correctly timestamped. Routing between several MTRX boxes in several rooms via Dante would make this offset worse.

So my question is rather these features of MTRX and especially MTRX + Dante will also be accompanied by some PTHD functionality that allows users to correct for these offsets?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Avid

Greetings,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes - it is true that 3rd party peripherals using DigiLink connections can have wildly different throughput delay values - many of these are simply using a legacy approach to emulating a 192 IO in the way they handshake with Pro Tools. DAD actually was one of the first companies to offer multiple PT emulation modes such that it was possible to emulate the throughput of a HD IO or an HD MADI peripheral.
With that said, I think a manual offset would be a welcome addition to workflows in Pro Tools using 3rd party peripherals and including AX32 / MTRX with complex routing.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 AM

Here are the Videos from the Avid MTRX Seminar I gave with Rich Nevens from Avid explaining my use of the MTRX ( DAD) and Immersive Sound Mixing at
"The Dub Stage".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmEP...WroQtI&index=1

I hope you enjoy them!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Here are some photos of the MTRX Seminar at Westlake Pro
https://westlakepro.com/event/marti-...st-production/
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM

Any idea when the MTRX will ship in Australia? I placed my order over four months ago... my dealer says there's some local political red tape or something?
Old 10-30-2017, 06:59 AM

At some point will Avid offer a hardware exchange between HD IO's and the MTRX ??
Old 10-31-2017, 05:08 PM

Have they ever done anything like that before? They've only offered exchanges on EOL product to current product. Never between current products that I can remember.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:08 PM

Default Pro Tools MTRX

The HD IO looks pretty much replaced by MTRX to me.... I expect they will run down inventory in the channel before starting to be creative with promotions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-31-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 PM

Bring it on...I need another 8 outputs and why not get a HDX card while I’m there !!!
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The HD IO looks pretty much replaced by MTRX to me.... I expect they will run down inventory in the channel before starting to be creative with promotions.
Avid HD IO $140.62/analogue channel. (16 x 16)
Avid MTRX $402.97/analogue channel. (16 x 16)

One is definitely not in the same market as the other for price-conscious buyers. Or, in other words, shoppers don't go: I could spend $4,500 for 16 in and 16 out analogue or $12,895 for 16 in and 16 out analogue. The HD IO is not on its way out unless it gets replaced by a comparable piece of hardware in price. The MTRX is a premium product for buyers already in that market (Merging, Prism Dream, etc.) or for those who need its added functions/capabilities.