Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools MTRX

Yes, they are very similar. The MTRX base configuration as standard includes Pro|Mon, dual power supplies and obviously DigiLink: 64 channels of it fully supported by Pro Tools HDX & HDN. Once we ship MTRX, the AX32 will no longer be available with DigiLink. Existing AX32 customers have nothing to worry about with regard to DigiLink, Pro Tools, expansion or support.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 AM

To Jeff Komar /Others

Would there be any befits in using Dante Via with the Avid MTRX through a (Dante/AES64/AoIP via Ethernet Card)
Whats the minimum interface and card options or requirement for setting up a MTRX Dante network along with
the Avid S3 using standard gigabit ethernet and eucon control.

Also can the Avid MTXR intergrate with ProTools Native as its main DAW or is ProTools HD recommended for
extended track and audio features finally when can we expect shipping and details on UK prices.

Regards
Old 10-21-2016, 03:51 AM

Default Pro Tools MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandM View Post
Would there be any befits in using Dante Via with the Avid MTRX through a (Dante/AES64/AoIP via Ethernet Card)
Not sure exactly what you are asking – Via is a software only solution that is very flexible (can route per-application) but has high latency. You could use a Dante PCIe card with the MTRX with probably not too much more latency than DigiLink (I don't know the exact numbers), but you would be subject to Pro Tools' 32 channel limitation when working with CoreAudio devices, as well as the buffer latency as you would have with HD Native.

Using Via to say, route the output of iTunes to the MTRX when being used as a monitor controller, that certainly would make sense.

Quote:
Whats the minimum interface and card options or requirement for setting up a MTRX Dante network along with
the Avid S3 using standard gigabit ethernet and eucon control.
Note that the S3 supports AVB, not Dante, so you won't be able to send audio from the S3 to the MTRX. But, in any case, Dante just requires an off-the-shelf switch. I've found that the cheaper switches (e.g. my Netgear one) can't handle the 150us Dante latency, not that the MTRX supports that – others, such as the Extreme Networks switches, can handle it easily. Just beware that the software-only Dante solutions such as DVS and Via have latency in the milliseconds which are pretty much unusable for monitoring whilst performing.

Edit - sorry I realize now you probably weren't asking about Ethernet interfaces! Dante is an option on the MTRX, then it's just a question whether you want analog I/O (AES/EBU and DigiLink are standard).

Quote:
Also can the Avid MTXR intergrate with ProTools Native as its main DAW or is ProTools HD recommended for extended track and audio features
Depends on your channel/latency requirements (HD Native is limited to 64 simultaneous channels of I/O, and see above for latency).

Last edited by LukeHoward; 10-21-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:28 AM

To LukeHoward,

''Via is a software only solution that is very flexible (can route per-application) but has high latency.''

What would you/others say is a best option for low-latency with the MTRX using Core-Audio on say a MacBook Pro.

"it's just a question whether you want analog I/O (AES/EBU and DigiLink are standard". ''

Not sure about the overall cost to add the above capabilities in the future.

With the Avid S3 is it possible to integrate the S3 as its main software and monitor controller or will the MTRX be for the main audio control
of all inputs / outputs any further sound advice would be appreciated.

Regards
Old 10-23-2016, 03:34 PM

Default Pro Tools MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrelandM View Post
What would you/others say is a best option for low-latency with the MTRX using Core-Audio on say a MacBook Pro.
Using CoreAudio, well, given the HD driver currently doesn't work with CoreAudio – a MADI interface or a Dante PCIe card in a Thunderbolt chassis would be your best option.

If you're using Pro Tools, then (depending on your latency requirements) either a HDX card in Thunderbolt chassis or a HD Native Thunderbolt.

Quote:
With the Avid S3 is it possible to integrate the S3 as its main software and monitor controller or will the MTRX be for the main audio control
of all inputs / outputs any further sound advice would be appreciated.
My understanding is that the S3 will be able to control the monitor controller section of the MTRX via EuCon. (Note that this is a separate thing to being able to monitor from the audio outputs of the S3 – this would require the S3 to support Dante, or at least AES67.)
Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz View Post
I have the DAD AX32. I`m using it with one digilink port connect to my
computer, and my PT SOFT "see`s" a MADI Interface with 64 I/O. I guess If I connect the other port of my HD NATIVE to the second digilink port, It will see another MADI I/O or AVID I/O and will "resolve" all the clock issues internally...
but I only guess.
Is this possible? Each DigiLink port supposed to be able to "carry" 32 channels, 64 if both the primary and the secondary connectors are patched to the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcutz View Post
What I also already did was to connect two different pro tools machines, i.e. two different computers, one to each digilink port and it work seamlessly, like plug and play and I was able to send signal from one to another, and to monitor the sum in about 5 minutes of setup...
So you say that two different HD rigs share the same DAD AX32 as an audio interface. I am struggling to see how this would be possible but I am reaaally interested if it is.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:24 AM
Avid

Yes this is currently possible. Under the DADman control panel you can specify whether you want to run the two DigiLink ports as Dual Primary or Primary, Expansion.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-26-2016, 12:59 PM

Fantastic! Any idea whether MTRX would retain that feature?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Yes this is currently possible. Under the DADman control panel you can specify whether you want to run the two DigiLink ports as Dual Primary or Primary, Expansion.

Jeff
And Jeff,

So to be 100% clear, can a single port handle 64 tracks while at this mode?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2016, 02:07 PM
Avid

Each DigiLink port is 32 channels which is the equivalent of (2) 16 channel interfaces. With 2 ports you have a total of 64 channels.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTRX FAQ