How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2023, 10:39 PM

Default Issue with Knob Expand Zones

Hi all,

While setting up an S6 M40 for an upcoming mix, I'm having trouble with Knob Expand zones. Eucon Workstation and the S6 firmware is on the latest 22.12, and PT is on 23.3.

In our current surface configuration, we have one strip containing 2 knob modules on top of a Joystick module. And the knob modules have been set as attention zones. Also, my 1st expand knob function is set to EQ, 2nd is set to Dynamics.

The issue arises when I attention a track. Only the 1st expand knob populates (with EQ). There's nothing on the 2nd expand knob module except for the option to bypass the Dynamics plug-in at the far bottom right of the module.

So the knob module sees the Dynamics plug-in, but doesn't populate the knobs with parameters.

I even tried flipping the EQ and Dynamics. So Dynamics was assigned to the 1st expand knob module, and EQ assigned to the 2nd. But I get the same problem, EQ works but Dynamics doesn't.

Am I missing some setting somewhere?

Tomorrow I'm going to try importing User and Soft Key preferences from our 2nd Master Module in the room, as this feature was working fine with it last week. But I'd love to hear anyone's suggestions on how to fix this!

Thanks in advance!

-Preston
Old 05-23-2023, 07:01 AM
Avid

Default Re: Issue with Knob Expand Zones

Greetings,

Which specific dynamics plug-ins have you tested that don't present a dedicated DYN pagetable?

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-23-2023, 09:12 PM

Hi Jeff!

Yesterday we were attentioning tracks with Fab Filter's Pro-MB.

Today I tested other dynamics plug-ins and everything else worked fine. Pro Compressor, Pro Limiter, Fab Filter's Pro C-2 and Pro L-2, Waves C6, AVA Multiband and McDSP 4030 all worked.

But somehow there's still an issue with Pro-MB.

Let me know if you have any idea what's causing this.

Thanks again!

-Preston
Old 05-24-2023, 05:59 AM
Avid

This is actually normal. Especially with AAX tools like Multiband Dynamics, many don't have a concept of a global Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release... So - I would recommend simply accessing Inserts > Parameters (teal) for any of your Dynamic EQ's or Multiband Compressors, tweak and save optimized custom knob (teal) maps, then use those in your templates.

The DYN (green) function is really setup for the basic compressor limiter parameters and doesn't accommodate more complex processors such as these.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ