How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2015, 03:08 AM

Default Shortcuts Thread

Hey peops,

I was playing around quite a bit with the S6 yesterday and also tried a bunch of modifier+knob/button/fader combinations searching for shortcuts. The S6 guide only offers the obvious ones (option + any knob/fader to set default, Shift + Option = do to selected tracks). I'm still desperately searching for ways to
- copy&paste settings from one plugin/insert to another (ICON had it)
- make a selection using only transport buttons or jogwheel (life would be so sweet)
- temporarily link certain tracks without having to group (e.g. apply certain EQing to a number of tracks. select tracks and holding shift + option while modifying won't do)

In general, I wonder if there's more useful shortcuts or simply handy moves on the S6 surface. We've had this thread for other consoles and there was a lot to learn from each other. Let's bring on the sexy stuff

Best
G
Old 11-25-2015, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Shortcuts Thread

-----
Old 11-25-2015, 08:50 PM

Lots of good suggestions.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 11-27-2015, 06:30 AM

yeah you're right... haha

So as for 'creating selections' with S6:
My point is, sometimes I would like to prepare some automation in preview mode and then simply write that automation to a selection. Usually I would have to use the mouse to make a selection, but I want to be able to do it all from the S6. so here is my workaround I came up with yesterday:

- say you want to write a static automation over a clip
- turn on preview mode and prepare automation
- put jog wheel in 'Trim' mode
- now cycle jog wheel counterclockwise so that the distance between curser and clip is longer than the actual clip
- now press shift + ' (I created a softkey for that combo)
- you will now have a selection that you can slide over the clip using again the 'trim' jog wheel
- hit 'write to all'

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but once you have that shift + ' softkey, it's actually really fast and you won't need keyboard or mouse to automate in a static fashion.
In the future we would need a behavior of jog wheel 'Trim' where pressing shift creates selections.

Best
G
Old 11-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Avid

Copy and paste and temporary link are coming soon, I'll look into the selection request and see what can be done.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:22 AM
Avid

There are multiple ways to define selections from S6. (2.1) You can use the Mark In & and Mark Out buttons on the numeric section of the Automation Module in conjunction with the Jog Wheel to set in and out points. If you have a selection defined and want to move it (or if you simply want to move the playhead) you can press the Trim button just to the left of the Jog Wheel. You can also use the Next / Previous switches on the Transport section in conjunction with the SHIFT modifier (track color switch on the bottom of all Fader Modules) to define a contiguous selection based on a group of clips.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ