Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2022, 01:19 PM

Default Multiple systems with one 3 card TB 3 chassis

Hello - I am finally saying goodbye to my three Mac Pro 5,1
boxes, each of which runs a PT HDX one card setup in the three places
I work. I do have a 2019 Mac Pro, which has been my main
video editing machine, but which will now become the main mix machine.
I have just ordered a 16” Mac Book Pro M1 Pro Max,
which, due to its portability, I am hoping will actually replace two of the 5,1s - I’ll
just carry it, and have a docking solution in each place.
I am wondering if it seems like a workable scenario to put all three HDX cards in a Sonnet III enclosure and move them from rig to rig simply connecting them via thunderbolt 3. This would give me sufficient I/O to maintain my current tracking set ups but also run Neve Orbit summing for the mixing rig. The rigs all have different interface set ups. Each has an HD I/O but one for instance has a 192 and a Burl B16 in addition to a 96 I/O that runs headphones. The mix rig has two HDI/Os and two 192s. The third rig which is a remote recording set up, has an HD I/O, a Focusrite Claret Octopre and an Audient 800.
I guess my real question is how crazy it would be to move the three card system from rig to rig in terms of the differences in the I/O setups.
Does it seem like something that could be managed, assuming sufficient attention
to detail?
Thanks in advance for your insights.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Multiple systems with one 3 card TB 3 chassis

Hi, your I/O setup is a matter of software recall as you can save each I/O setup in the pro tools software.

If you are referring to physical re routing of cables every time you go to swap the rig computer out then I might suggest to ask if you need the question you need three hdx cards running at all times?

Could you not get away with using one hdx card per rig?

You're using a 2019 mac pro so you'd easily get away with running a lot of the plugins in native mode.
Hell they sound the same.

In a live tracking scenario the hdx cards would be more useful so you can track through plugins.

Mixing is great with hdx but really native would be fine I would imagine on the new Mac pro

l
Old 02-16-2022, 03:37 PM

It'd be tedious.
You'd have to disconnect/reconnect your hardware to the cards when you moved to each system. But you could do it.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:45 AM
Avid

I would deploy what you need for each system and leave it. IO Setup is relatively simple once you understand the construct of the mixer always assigning to internal paths -> which are then mapped to physical resources relative to the workstation:

https://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-use...-pro-tools-12/

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-18-2022, 12:39 PM

Thanks!