Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2010, 01:33 PM

Default Paid Structure Fix?!? Without Morals, Avid is Not Digidesign

Avid, are you sure that you want this to be your new face? Charging to get a functioning version of Structure is obviously unfair. Avid knew this was wrong and still went ahead. It's indefensible. (Avid, would you like to comment?) It seems we now know the new type of company we are dealing with and are prepared now going forward. You do what's best for you, and we'll do what's best for us. It's no longer "we're in this together." You knew months ago that doing what you did would blow up the DUC.

-Structure comes out in early 2007.
-Digidesign agreed to provide us Structure with EXS import and we gave them the agreed price of $499. That's a legal contract, an agreement.
-EXS import, the only feature needed by many, and other features, do not work. (Similar to if Digidesign never ever got video working in PT...it's outrageous.)
-We spend tens and tens of hours over the years posting and begging for solutions, emailing Digidesign and figuring out work-arounds. Literally days of our life lost messing around with broken Structure for many.
-2010 Avid charges $49 in order to get Structure working, breaking the original legal contract saying that for $499, we will get a Structure with EXS import. We were conned. The price is really $548. (There must be a term for this type of maneuvering in law.)

For all the time and hell EXS users went through, Structure 1.1 should have been free, gifted with additional features and with a BIG WE'RE SO SORRY!!, not a fee.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Paid Structure Fix?!? Without Morals, Avid is Not Digidesign

It would be great if Avid commented on this. We need to hear their voice.
Even if they charged $1 for this "update" it would be so wrong.

For some reason this whole Structure debacle really got under my skin.
It has been handled badly and appears to be out of the control of the more even handed Digi Admin who contribute to this list.

It's my guess that even they find this action reprehensible.

http://philbuckle.com/
Old 03-24-2010, 04:08 PM

I feel your pain. I've been 'paying' Native Instruments money every since version 1.5 of Kontakt in the hopes of someday getting one that works and doesn't crash. So far, version 4 is 'almost' stable, but still crashes my system once in a while.

Worst. Company. Ever.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post
Charging to get a functioning version of Structure after three years is blatantly unfair. Avid knew this was wrong and still went ahead. It's indefensible. (Avid, would you like to comment here?) I know now the new type of company I am dealing with and am prepared now going forward. You do what's best for you, and we'll do what's best for us. It's no longer "we're in this together."
+1 billion! I couldn't have said it any better. There's been a lot of debate and chatter on this very subject over here in the last few pages. Oddly, there is a small handful of apethetic individuals in that thread calling people "whiners" for pointing out Avids immoral business practices. Go figure.

Quote:
-Digidesign agreed to provide us Structure with EXS import and we gave them the agreed price of $499. That is a legal contract, an agreement.
-EXS import, the only feature needed by many, does not work. (Similar to if PT came out and never ever got video working...it's outrageous.)
These extremely low and alarming business morals and ethics are also similar to continually releasing software for the past 7 or so years that can damage equipment and even peoples hearing without making such a defect top priority for a fix. Or using ADC as a strong selling point to sell HD, only to find out it's broken after one sinks $15,000 to $25,000 on a system. Sending software out the door in whatever shape it's in with the "we'll fix it later" attitude every business quarter just to appease shareholders is starting to back fire for the worse. So much so, that the die hard fan boys and user base is actively going against the company publically which is a HUGE red flag. This isn't the same company I purchased products from 10 years ago.

Quote:
-We spend tens and tens of hours over the years posting for solutions and begging, emailing Digidesign and figuring out work arounds. Literally days of our life lost messing around with broken Structure for many.
-2010 Avid charges $49 to get EXS import working, breaking the original legal contract saying that for $499, we will get a Structure with EXS import. We were conned. The price is really $548. (There must be a term for this type of maneuvering in criminal law.)
+1 billion!

These cheese ball con artist and blatant low life business ethics from your marketing are doing you some major damage Avid, and taking it's toll on the die hard user base and fan boys that have supported you all these years. We are responsible for selling more product for you than you can fathom just from our own hype and user support on these very forums. Doesn't it worry you that many of your die hard users have been looking at alternatives? Why do you think this has happened? Doesn't this worry you and set off at least "somewhat" of a red flag? Who's ever running the ship is doing an exemplary job at sinking it quite fast. I feel like it already sank and we're just trapped in air pockets until we hit the bottom now. You come out and make public statements claiming, "we're in this together" but I suggest you step out of the ivory tower and look around, as you're only doing a mighty fine job at pushing us all away.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 03-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxo View Post

-Digidesign agreed to provide us Structure with EXS import and we gave them the agreed price of $499. That's a legal contract, an agreement.
-EXS import, the only feature needed by many, does not work. (Similar to if Diidesign never ever got video working in PT...it's outrageous.)
-We spend tens and tens of hours over the years posting and begging for solutions, emailing Digidesign and figuring out work-arounds. Literally days of our life lost messing around with broken Structure for many.
-2010 Avid charges $49 in order to get EXS import working, breaking the original legal contract saying that for $499, we will get a Structure with EXS import. We were conned. The price is really $548. (There must be a term for this type of maneuvering in law.)
Here is an even bigger pisser. Apple only changed over to Intel mid 2006. Structure released 6 months later. The early adopters like me, and I am sure many others, are on PPC. Guess what, the new Structure is Intel only. I dont even have a choice to pay an upgrade fee !!!!!

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 03-24-2010, 05:01 PM

What a bunch of d*cks

Amazing
Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno1234 View Post
What a bunch of d*cks

Amazing
this is a very interesting thread

nice to see so many familiar faces huddled around the panty bin.

i knew you guys could get some passion goin' about somethin' sooner or later.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
I feel your pain. I've been 'paying' Native Instruments money every since version 1.5 of Kontakt in the hopes of someday getting one that works and doesn't crash. So far, version 4 is 'almost' stable, but still crashes my system once in a while.

Worst. Company. Ever.
I'd be willing to put East West up against them
Old 03-24-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post
Here is an even bigger pisser. Apple only changed over to Intel mid 2006. Structure released 6 months later. The early adopters like me, and I am sure many others, are on PPC. Guess what, the new Structure is Intel only. I dont even have a choice to pay an upgrade fee !!!!!
Another reason why the Structure Upgrade should have been broken-out. At least PPC would have had a working Structure!
Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Special Upgrade Pricing
If you own a previous version of Structure, you can upgrade to the latest Structure 1.1 release for just $49 (USD)

Wow, no announcement for this!! This came out of noware!!
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC