How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2017, 02:34 AM

Default Mouseless navigating?

Hi all,

I've been mixing in the s6 for sometime now using a hybrid approach. Meaning, I'll use the keyboard and mouse, as well as the board. I'll say 60-70 percent using the mouse and 30-40 percent using the board.

I want to be more efficient using the board, but I can't find a faster way than navigating with the mouse. Point and click anywhere in the time line, press the space bar and Pro Tools play. Easy,simple, and really fast.

As far as the s6 goes, I either punch in the timecode to where I want to go, use the shuttle/jog wheel, or the fast forward/rewind buttons. Those are the 3 options I know and can only think of, unless there is a better faster way to navigate in the edit window using the s6.

Regarding navigating in the timeline effortlessly and fast, I would love to go the mouseless way, but from my experience, the s6 falls flat. Hence, I feel, and quite possibly, lean more towards the keyboard and mouse as oppose to the board.

If there is a better approach I would love your guys insight. That's just my 2 cents. Have a wonderful day!
Old 04-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Avid

Default Re: Mouseless navigating?

Greetings,

Here's a few ideas to get you rolling sans Kensington...

(A) Memory Locations / Markers. For specific timecode locations of a music or post session these are invaluable. Some folks even have a show/hide workflow with them as well. These are accessed from the Automation Module Locate switches.

(B) Jog Wheel Move Playhead. I personally use this one all the time. If you don't have an in/out selection defined this will simply move the playhead (and picture) when you press the Trim button just to the left of the Jog Wheel.

(C) Enter Timecode Location (*) on the Automation Module Locate section. Simply enter a timecode location after hitting * 00:00:00:00.

(D) Back / Forward, Back & Play / Forward and Play. Use illuminated SHIFT key on the Fader module to turn Back into Forward and Back and Play into Forward and Play. These are obviously on the Transport section. Set the value for back/forward in the preferences for your ideal value.

(E) Next / Previous Clip on the Transport. These select a clip or clips (use the SHIFT key again) to span a range of clips.

(F) Enable Link Track and Edit to allow an insertion is added by pressing a channel's select switch. Also - determine your desired scrolling behavior.

This is a start. Hope this helps.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 04-05-2017, 02:13 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the feed back. Really appreciate it. I'll definitely try some of the other options you mentioned and see if it will be effective with my work flow.

One thing I would like to throw out there as an idea. When scrolling with the wheel by pressing shift and horizontal button (enables you to scroll horizontally in your timeline), it would be terrific if the playhead would play wherever I stop. Center of the timeline so to speak. That would be a nice feature which I believe would change the landscape of navigating without the mouse. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philharmonic7 View Post
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the feed back. Really appreciate it. I'll definitely try some of the other options you mentioned and see if it will be effective with my work flow.

One thing I would like to throw out there as an idea. When scrolling with the wheel by pressing shift and horizontal button (enables you to scroll horizontally in your timeline), it would be terrific if the playhead would play wherever I stop. Center of the timeline so to speak. That would be a nice feature which I believe would change the landscape of navigating without the mouse. Wouldn't you agree?
ICONs can move the playhead by holding Mark In and Mark Out buttons while moving the scrub wheel. Maybe S6s are the same?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:32 PM
Avid

Yes - see option (B) in my original response. I actually prefer the S6 implementation because it doesn't require 2 hands that D-Control and D-Command does.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ