How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2019, 07:09 AM

Default It's a sad day...

I'm not normally the guy that complains, but... (this time I do)
I feel like a fool, having to pay an annual subscription for my S6, which is not exactly cheap, and getting zero updates. The last PT update, 18.12, even broke some functionality so plugins not getting shown when editing from the S6.

Ever since I got my S6, there has been a lot of small things where it was annoying, but I kept telling myself that it was the best surface ever, probably because of the money I spent on it. I has been pretty proud of my S6, in my medium size studio in Denmark. But now, with the non-existing updates, I think I have had enough.

I also hate that sometimes one of the modules looses connection and have to be rebooted, and my dealer tell me that happens a lot for their customers. I'm not a fan of the tiny "m" labeled button for Trim, and the "f" labeled button for automation modes. Same with the Swap button, which is somewhat big, but not used for anything.

Did I mention not getting any updates for a year?

I find myself missing my old D-Command, it was made to just work with Pro Tools, and the integration was great. The S6 is made to work with everything speaking Eucon, and that makes it less integrated with Pro Tools.

So I have been looking for alternatives, but there are not really any. D-Commands are a bit old, and most of them have failing knobs. Så I have been thinking about trying a Raven (never seen that one coming)

More than 2.5 years ago I asked about setting pre roll times from the surface, I did that a lot from my D-Command
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...light=pre-roll
Jeff said it was a good idea, and would request it would be "euconized", nothing have happened, and when I asked about it some time ago, I was told they had more important stuff to do. Fair enough. But, all the stuff people suggest/ask for, is never implemented
Also this one about duplicating tracks, nothing: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398919

One positive thing: Eddie and Jeff are fantastic when it comes to help and answer questions.

Ah well, had to vent a little, regretting I spent a fortune on my S6