Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2006, 06:15 AM

Default OT: RME9652, V-Stack midi, and PT

I would have posted this on Steinberg.net but can't register there as although I own V-Stack, I don't have/need a USB key for that

Anyway I know some of you have the following setup so maybe you could chime in. Although my PT7.1 TDM rig is on OSX I have an RME9652 card in a 'soft-synth' 3.8Ghz XP PC, and my question is: is it normal to see the two midi ports in V-Stack (v1.2) as [emulated] in the midi input drop-down menu? I would have thought emulation would impair midi timing, but can't figure out another way of doing things. I've installed the latest RME XP drivers. BTW I am hard wiring midi, it's not over LAN.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:00 AM

Default Re: OT: RME9652, V-Stack midi, and PT

bump
Old 06-02-2006, 11:51 AM

I think Steinberg has gone to the dogs. It doesn't make any sense that you can't post questions unless you buy the software first (or that you can't post questions about Steinberg software you own that isn't dongle protected).

FWIW, I have a similar set-up, and with my HDSP 9652 in V-Stack, the MIDI ports for the HDSP 9652 show up as emulated. If, however, I launch, for instance, a stand-alone version of an NI plug-in, the HDSP 9652 does not show up as "emulated." BTW, this is not specific to the HDSP 9652. I have a few other PC's with V-Stack. One has an Emagic AMT8 for MIDI, and the other has a MIDI Man interface. They also show up as emulated in V-Stack.

Someone else might have more info on this, but I'm thinking the problem is V-Stack. As you know, V-Stack is discontinued and growing old. It probably needs an update that it's not going to get.

It's probably time to start looking for another shell. Perhaps NI's KORE will be a solution once they've had the chance to work the bugs out of version 1.0. There are a number of other options, too. Personally, I'm going to want to make sure that whatever I might buy next will make the jump to Windows Vista.

Lee Blaske
Old 06-02-2006, 12:10 PM

My ESI 4 port MIDI inputs show up as emulated in V-STack as well. Actually, I must admit I never knew what it meant but it seems to work OK.

I just got Core and so far I it's been a big disappointment for me and most probably wont replace V-STack as my favourite VST Host even if V-STack could use an upgrade to the SX3 engine. But V-STack still holds well for most uses today and the only serious flaw is the omission of MIDI sync.

I think V-STack was discontinued because it was too good and too cheap to be of interest for the CFOs of Steinberg/Yamaha!

pv
Old 06-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Thanks guys for your feedback, looks like this is 'normal' behaviour with V-Stack. Good to know it's not just me - you obviously have no issues with the midi timing then(?), so it looks like I'm OK. I use Digi's Midi I/O btw.

Kore promises much but so far looks like a few updates away from prime-time!!

I must admit Steinberg seem reluctant to invite too many people onto their forums (even users in my case). That in itself says quite a lot about a company.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for your feedback, looks like this is 'normal' behaviour with V-Stack. Good to know it's not just me - you obviously have no issues with the midi timing then(?)
Not exactly. If I'm dealing with quantized parts, I'll align them once I've recorded them into my Logic/PT rig. If I'm playing things live, I compensate as I play, playing as far ahead of the beat as I need to (this is where experience playing pipe organ in a big church comes in handy). The delay isn't horrible, but it's there. Then again, it's hard to say how much of that is attributable to the MIDI side of things versus general native processing delay (which will depend on where your buffers are set). Regardless, it's tighter than a lot of stand-alone synth modules of yesteryear.

Lee Blaske