Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Default Help navigating HD upgrade path

Hello,

I'm trying to go through the calculus of an HD upgrade and was wondering if I could get some help with the math and assumptions? I've been through the HD and PT9 DUC forums and the Avid site and I think I have a handle on this stuff, but there are a few points that still aren't clear.

I currently have the following:

- a G5 w/HD2 Accel (PCI-x, of course) running PT8. I/O is a 192 with the DA card for 16 analog outs
- a new MacPro running DP and Nuendo with some older MOTU interfaces

I'd like to end up with just the MacPro, PT9 HD, and more I/O that works with Nuendo, DP and PT. I'm not running any TDM-only plugs, so RTAS should be just fine. Mostly Altiverb, SoundToys, Massey and URS.

The best path I can figure out seems to be:

1. Sell the Accel card and the 192
2. Buy the PT9 HD upgrade with the Core card serial number
3. Sell the Core card, knowing that it's no longer upgradeable to HD9 and so loses much of its value.
4. Sell the MOTU stuff
5. Buy the new I/O (looking at the SSL alphaLink with RME MADI card + TotalMix for 0-latency monitoring)

That should leave me with PT9 HD (iLok-based) running on CoreAudio, right? So now I'm looking at the feature comparison chart from Avid:

http://www.avid.com/US/products/fami...-Tools/compare

There are a few things that aren't clear whether they're iLok-based HD features, or features that require either TDM hardware or a Native card.

- Audio record (simultaneous) = 32 max with CoreAudio, correct? 32 mono tracks or equivalent?
- TrackPunch/DestructivePunch: does this require TDM h/w or a Native card, or is it an HD s/w feature?
- Solo bus AFL/PFL: same here, HD s/w feature or h/w required?
- Individual Track Input Mode: HD s/w feature, or h/w plus Avid I/O required?

Does that all seem to make sense? Am I missing something? Does selling off the Core card shoot myself in the foot somehow? Any observations/corrections would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

PS - Also realize that there would be no HEAT in my future going this route...
Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Help navigating HD upgrade path

technically the iLok license should go w/ the core card or the person that buys it is SOL if they want to upgrade

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-17-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
technically the iLok license should go w/ the core card or the person that buys it is SOL if they want to upgrade
Is that requirement part of an existing license agreement HD owners have with Avid? Or is that part of a new license agreement you enter into when purchasing the HD9 license with the Core serial number? Anyone been through the upgrade who can comment?

Or is this just something that buyers need to be aware of when they're placing a value on "used up" Core cards?

Jason
Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 AM

Can anyone comment on this issue of selling a Core card after its serial number has been used to upgrade to PT9 HD? Is there an actual licensing restriction here?

Thanks,

Jason
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM

FWIW, I purchased the upgrade using my Core serial number. The license agreement that comes with the PT9 HD upgrade doesn't say anything about restrictions on transferring hardware without the the software license. If anyone can give a definitive answer on this, I'd appreciate it.

Jason
Old 11-18-2010, 01:48 PM

do what you want but you're screwing the guy you sell the card to

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-18-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
...you're screwing the guy you sell the card to
Only if I told the buyer he'd be able to upgrade and then he found out he couldn't. But if they know what they're getting into, there's probably someone out there who'd be happy to buy a cheap Core card (PCI-x, remember), stick it in a G4 and run PT7.4 forever. At what price would you feel you wouldn't be getting screwed?

And if I hear what you're saying, there's no way for current HD owners to upgrade to PT9 HD running on CoreAudio hardware. At least not without keeping their Core card as a paperweight. Or buying PT9 + CPTK for $2600.

Anyway, here are some answers to these earlier questions from looking at PT9 HD running on CoreAudio:

- TrackPunch/DestructivePunch: NO
- Solo bus AFL/PFL: NO
- Individual Track Input Mode: NO

Maybe it should have been obvious, but PT9 HD with an iLok license and no Digi hardware looks like PT9 + CPTK.

Jason
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong - but a PT9 licence would be utterly useless with a PCI-X core card anyway - since I am assuming PT9 only runs on Intel macs which are all PCI-e?...