Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2009, 10:50 PM

Default Whats wrong with my Pro Tools 8

Can someone please help me
I cant do anything in pro tools without it giving me the system overload message. Even when my buffersize is set to its biggest and i have no plug0ins running it still does it.
When it does play through it sounds distorted for about 7 seconds then normal playback.
My system usage window tells me im only using 11% of my CPU power but it still says its overloading.

Help me please!!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 PM

Default Re: Whats wrong with my Pro Tools 8

This is normal for Pro Tools 8.

Hopefully a CS update will fix it :)

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:36 PM

ahk thanks

so i guess there is nothing i can do to temporarily run a session?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell_Warters View Post
ahk thanks

so i guess there is nothing i can do to temporarily run a session?
Go through the Troubleshooting thread.

That's all Digi will tell you to do.

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod25 View Post
This is normal for Pro Tools 8.

Hopefully a CS update will fix it :)
Nod25:
That was a pretty cruel response to a new person on the DUC. That's not the kind of impression we want to give new comers here. Let's try to be more helpful, ok?

Mitchell_Warters:
I have Protools 8.0 and everything is running fine so it is not fair to flatly claim that that is how Protools works. I'll admit that Protools is very particular about hardware compatibility and configuration. There are some things to do to make your system operate properly in the general troubleshooting sticky thread at the top of this forum. Try those and it should get you up and running in no time.

For starters, do you have a second hard drive on your system? It is one of the minimum requirements. If it is external, it should be a Firewire drive and NOT a USB drive. Trying to record and plaback from your system drive is a known problem that causes errors as the drive cannot keep up with the demands of Protools. There are also quite a few system tweaks that make your system optimized for Protools as mentioned above. Turning off wireless networking is the most common tweak. Follow the instructions in the Troubleshooting sticky and get back to us about how it goes. Most of us (ahem) are here to help.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 AM

(ahem) Sorry.

Cruel? Hardly. Truth? Yes. Why beat around the bush. I did digress however. I did point him to the Troubleshooting thread on re-think to my original reply, as penance :)

Maybe he has a degree in computer science. It IS a requirement to run PT these days....

Old 07-14-2009, 02:39 AM

this is also the case for me. I have overload errors with 15% CPU usage and occasional distortion on playback. my system is 100% digi approved. I have done all the troubleshooting, clean installs, etc. I can not get 8 to run reliably for even small overdub sessions. I'm sorry to say that I have had very little constructive help from tech support.

The one thing I have found to help with this problem is to switch the rtas engine to one processor instead of two.(if you have a dual processor)

other than that, definitely run the protools prefs and database trasher in the troubleshooting thread and restart.

good luck
Old 07-14-2009, 03:32 AM

Wink Re: Whats wrong with my Pro Tools 8

Hello,

I'm using a White iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz 2Gb RAM MBox 2 Mini 64 Buffer

I set my RTAS processors to 1, I use NI Komplete 4 and others which need this setting until a software update becomes available.

The only time I get errors is when I switch plugins on the fly while a track is running.

If I dismiss the overload dialog and start the track again all is well.

I have a computer science degree, but it is certainly not required for PT8 (maybe a little research and patience)

Cheers

evs
Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 AM

My first thought here is actually two-fold..... ONE, you need to have a dedicated hard-drive for your audio that is NOT the internal hard-drive and NOT just any external hard-drive, and certainly NOT a USB drive. And SECONDLY, it sounds like it could also be file-fragmentation. When you have a fragmented hard-drive, that will be the direct source of "weirdness" including (especially) distortion of audio. You don't have a lot of RAM, is your model upgradeable to the 4gb or 8gb? If either, upgrade your ram....buy a Glyph FW hard-drive, and STOP switching plugins on the fly.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
and STOP switching plugins on the fly.
+1 Don't do it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com