Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2003, 02:21 AM

Default I really am an Idiot !!!!!

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Got the PTLE DVD the other day. When they got to the bit about Playlists, I thought "Man, that's handy. I can't wait for PT6 to get that!"
Anyways, after watching it again I thought "Hang on! I've seen that menu/option before". So I have a look and there it is!
Boy did I feel stupid! Here I've been dragging each region out track by track when the band wants to hear a previous take, thinking "There's got to be a better way!" [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Just thought I'd share this because there's probably other idiots like me who didn't know it was there.

Anybody got any other little tips like this that I don't know about? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2003, 03:17 AM

Default Re: I really am an Idiot !!!!!

well, its nice to know someone can enjoy the little things. Even if they where already in their home..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ah well, be glad you found it out. That's better then not to find out ever...

Bastiaan
Old 02-23-2003, 05:03 AM

By Aussie169
Quote:
Anybody got any other little tips like this that I don't know about?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello. Aussie169 maybe you should download the PT Reference Guide if you don't already have it. It is a hefty download, about 10 or 11 megs, but it will be worth it. It will give you all the 'little tips' you are talking about and then some. Everything you ever wanted to know about Pro Tools and were not afraid to ask. It's in the Technical Documents library.

Also, depending on when you bought your system, it may already be installed in your Notes and Documentation folder. Digidesign decided about two years ago that this was better than printing paper copies and sending them along with the systems. Do a search in your system for it, it is called 'PT Reference Guide' and it is a .pdf document. It's installed to Digidesign> Pro Tools> Release Notes and Documentation> PT Reference Guide. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie169:

Anybody got any other little tips like this that I don't know about? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">One other handy thing is when you get used to engage the "blabla follows timeline" ( uh, or how was it named again?) under "operations". To have PTs playback focused either to the timeline or to the marked space in track, depending on the action in question is very practical.

I know that because I was not using it for much too long [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Also about serial takes I used to open a raw of tracks in order to compare the takes while the Ctrl / click and selecting from there is much more practical than opening a bunch of tracks. Although I wished the current wave file in the track would be marked in the opening list ( I believe it was that way under win98 ... was it? ), because without you have either to put regions on displaying names or - that´s what I usually do - you gotta keep open the audio files window to check through highlited section for which specimen you are just about.

Sorry for my English.

Greets,

Lalaman
Old 02-23-2003, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie169:
Got the PTLE DVD the other day. When they got to the bit about Playlists, I thought "Man, that's handy. I can't wait for PT6 to get that!"
Anyways, after watching it again I thought "Hang on! I've seen that menu/option before". So I have a look and there it is!
Boy did I feel stupid! Here I've been dragging each region out track by track when the band wants to hear a previous take, thinking "There's got to be a better way!" [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Just thought I'd share this because there's probably other idiots like me who didn't know it was there.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Mark that is classic. I wouldn't have known about it neither but a friend of mine showed it to me last spring while recording in his studio. It was really cool when he showed me how to group tracks and how to get rid of unused Audio at the end of the session before backing up the session. I think I saved about 40% disk space and was able to get all my sessions backed up on one CD. Unbelievable how much space is used by unused audio files.
How about we start a thread "PTLE for Dummies" that would list all the little things we should know but were afraid to ask. I'll post it and see what kind of response we get. Things like how to record your first tracks, setting up Midi, transfering sessions to Mac and back, getting rid of unused Audio (cleaning up sessions), Time stamping and moving files between sessions, setting up I/Os, shortcuts, and all the questions that show up over and over here on the DUC.
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Allen
Old 02-23-2003, 07:29 AM

how long between the time you requested the dvd until you actually received it? I ordered mine about six weeks ago and still no sign of it.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:10 AM

How do you make the markers show up in a box like the edit groups and play lists? I know you can see them at the top of the edit window but I want the box. I know it's simple but I can't find the d*** thing.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:59 AM

dodo,

In PT: windows>show memory location

Pieter
Old 02-23-2003, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Siberian:
how long between the time you requested the dvd until you actually received it? I ordered mine about six weeks ago and still no sign of it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i ordered mine a year ago last christmas and still have not received it! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2003, 01:37 PM

I ordered a DVD months ago and didn't get it. Then I filled out the form again probably about 6-8 weeks ago.