Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Impact Side Chain

Is there anyway to use the "EXT Side Chain" on the Impact Plug-In?

Justin
Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Avid

Default Re: Impact Side Chain

Hi Justin,

Quote:
Is there anyway to use the "EXT Side Chain" on the Impact Plug-In?
Yes. On the plug-ins page, choose the signal you want to key from as the Key Source. This key source can be any input channel or physical input, but not another output. Once the key source is selected simply press the EXT button on the Impact plug-in to use this external source.

Sheldon
Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Well I'm basically trying to have a bus compressor on the Main Left/Right that has a high pass filter in it so that the kick drum doesn't keep initiating all the compression. It doesn't sound as if you signal chain will for me here.

Justin
Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Avid

Hi Justin,

One way to do this would be to take the top of channel direct out from the Left/Right mix, assign it to a physical output (such as the 2-track output), loop it back into an input (such as the 2-tr input), and assign this "return" input as the key source. Make sure to NOT assign the return input to Left/Right, as this will cause a feedback loop. The trick is to use the top of channel pickoff point, which will be pre-compressor.

Sheldon

Last edited by Sheldon Radford; 07-14-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect routing suggestion...
Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 PM

I'm really confused on how to set this up internally. Can you explain it a bit more.

Justin
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Avid

Hi Justin,

I edited my previous post because I realized I was recommending something that can't be done - it's not possible to route the Mains Direct Out to a plug-in. That said, the first suggestion using an external loopback is valid. Let's see if I can clarify how t do that...
  1. Select the Directs tab in the patchbay. On the left side, choose the Ouptuts tab and locate the Left and Right outputs.
  2. Assign the Direct Outs for Left right to the FOH 2-track outputs (FOH tab, look for DL and DR)
  3. Look for the Direct Out section at the bottom of the Patchbay page, beneath the fader. Make sure the Left or Right channel is selected, and press the IN button on the encoder to turn the Direct Out on. Set the Direct Out level to 0 dB.
  4. Use an XLR cable to connect the 2-Track AES (digital) output back to the digital input.
  5. Select the Inputs tab in the patchbay. Click the FX Returns tab along the left side.
  6. Choose an unused FX Return, and patch the 2-Track AES (digital) input to this channel (FOH tab, look for DL and DR). WAIT! Make sure this FX Return is NOT routed to the Left Right bus...
  7. Solo the FX Return and use the EQ to filter out the kick drum / low frequencies. This becomes the key source the compressor will "listen to". On to the plug-in...
  8. Select a stereo Impact plug-in on the Plug-Ins page.
  9. Insert the plug-in on the Left-Right Mains bus
  10. Locate the Key Source pulldown menu and select the FX Return you've just been working with. It will only allow you to select either the left or right channel of ht stereo FX Return. Assuming the kick drum is panned center you can choose either.
  11. Set the Key Source pickoff to pre-fader (so it selects the EQ'd signal).
  12. Click the EXT button on the Impact plug-in to key off of this external source.
To make sure everything's working experiment with adjusting the EQ settings, and seeing how it affects the compressor.

Sheldon