Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Korg legacy collection

Can anyone tell me how to use these virtual instruments in pro tools.

I have installed the rtas upgrade and the intruments work perfect as a stand alone instrument. Even the ms-20 midi controller is working fine.

When I open pro tools I cannot find the instruments as a plug in.

I have tried opening an instrument track. Still no plugin for these synths.

I was hoping to record with these synths as they sound awsome.

Also if anyone knows whether they can be used as audio tracks in real time, or if they are only midi capable.

Please help and thank you in advance to anyone w/ advice.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Korg legacy collection

Sounds like you did not install the RTAS version of the plug. I have the legacy collection and it is listed in the instruments.

JAB
MSI home build
11th Gen Intel i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz
32g RAM, 6Tb SSD
AVID Dock w/Android 10" Tablet
IK Multimedia AXE I/O
Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 USB Audio Interface

Bakerplace.net A place for Audio/Video Post Production.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 PM

Reply to my own post.

There was no problem with the install or anything else for that matter.

What the manual does not explain is that you must open a STEREO/ INSTRUMENT track for the plug in to appear on the drop down.

Korg user support was very helpfull in getting this fixed.
Digidesign washed thier hands of it...

These plug ins are awe inspiring. Using these in conjunction w/ Triton extreme.
Really great musical possibilities.

Put these together w/ Pro tools and watch your jaw drop.

Anyone looking for classic synth sounds would be well served with the legacy collection.
Great plug-ins.

Thanks to all. Especially Max @ korg user support.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:19 PM

I haven't been able to use my Korg Legacy Digital collection at all, since the license wouldn't download correctly into the stupid dongle. Why they didn't use an iLok is beyond me. Tech support never answered my emails or returned my calls. If it wasn't for the Wavestation, it wouldn't be worth it. But even the Wavestation sounds dated. People are better off buying NI's Massive or Absynth for better VI's(I have both and have found a lot of very similar sounding patches out of the box).
Old 02-27-2007, 02:38 AM

are you guys using I Macs?? I had a similar problem with the Korg stuff, not only that but the interface looks a little chunky as a stand alone (all I could get). I have both Absynth and Korg on the PC, I think a lot of software instruments sound alike.., its amazing watching the scores on TV or films.., its as though you know which virtual instruments are being used cause now people are getting too lazy to use anything but the factory settings (and there are so many, why not?)

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 AM

I am using PC. The legacy collection was a freebie when I purchased a Korg Triton Extreme.

It came with a 3/4 scale of the ms-20 keyboard as a midi controller.
You can actually use cords it came with to make patches. It also has about 30 knobs on it for the tweakers out there.

Its cool and a good way to operate the synths without using a mouse.

I am not much of a synth guy but I bought the triton for its sequencer and instrument sounds.(piano, strings and horns mostly.)

The arpegiator on the triton extreme is another plus. With one touch of the button you can create usable phrases. If you spend time with it you can uncover some cool sounds.

The legacy collection is a good way to get your hands on old synth sounds, without having to own the hardware. If you can even find working models of these synths.

For me it was a great "buy" because it was free. I dont know if i would have bought it. Especially after buying the triton.

The triton extreme is not for the faint of heart. It is very complicated. I am 2 1/2 years into owning it and I still uncover new functions almost daily. The 6 individual outs make it an awsome songwriting and recording tool.

If korg support is not helping you then you might not have a legal copy. I dont know its just a guess.
Korg support is one of the BEST support services i have ever encountered.
They have never failed to see my problems through to a solution. EVER.

Best of luck guys
Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
If korg support is not helping you then you might not have a legal copy. I dont know its just a guess. Korg support is one of the BEST support services i have ever encountered.
Not trying to be snide, but you should reread my post. You will see that I mentioned the problem was with the dongle and downloading the license through a 3rd party and their software. Also, I stand by my statement that Korg user support for the Legacy Digital Collection(I am guessing you are talking about the Legacy Analog Collection?) in North America is pretty useless. Maybe for hardware, the support is better, but I also suspect that Korg won't deal with the support issue since it involves a 3rd party dongle.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 AM

Korg was clear in thier install manual that if the dongle was defective it will be replaced but if damaged by the user it is the users responsability.

Syncro soft is not a company I have ever dealt with before. But thier software downloaded to the dongle and computer flawlessly for me.

I will agree that I was a bit pee od about needing another dongle!!!
The I lok should have been sufficiant. EVERYONE HAS THIER HAND IN THE TILL.$$$$

Not to mention I have 6 usb ports on my computer but only 1 empty slot.
Talk about overkill!

Im definitly not breaking your balls but you shouldnt let this go if the product does not work right. Its your right to recieve a WORKING product when you pay for it!!!

It sounds like you are saying you live outside N. america I dont know how service is overseas.

Yes I did recieve the analog edition but it is also capable of using the digital collection as well. I believe the wavestation is part of the digital collection. It was part of my original set.

I dont know if all this is different outside the states, so I cant comment on anything but the american versions.

Sorry if i was out of context. Best wishes, Bill
Old 03-02-2007, 04:12 PM

McGirr or anyone else who can help me. . .I too got my legacy m-20 free with my Triton a couple of years ago and it's been collecting dust ever since. What exactly would I need to do to get it up and running on my Mac Pro and 002? If I just go buy their dongle am I good to go?
Thanks for any help.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:43 PM

To be honest I do not run mac. I have never even used one!!
I have not used the 002. I believe this is a 2 channel interface running pro tools le.????
If im wrong I apologize , but i am not familiar w/ either. So I wont pretend to be.

I believe all korg legacy collections came with vst support.
I never had the vst to rtas conversion program. I forget the name. So....

Since this was the only vst intrument or plug i own. It was much cheaper to buy the Korg rtas upgrade.
It is found on Korg usa web site. www. korg/usa.com(somthing like this.)
It is under software or upgrades. ( you must have registered your product, I am not sure what they will do if you did not register.)

It is $39.99 they send a syncro soft dongle and a whole new disk. You must uninstall all previous and reinstall all w/ rtas support.( including stand alone instruments.)

Not to hard. (one thing i did was to pull out my i-lok while the sync of the new dongle is ongoing. I like korg products but thier instructions are not great. It was asking to remove all devices of some kind. I did not have a clue what they were getting at. So I took out my i-lok just in case. You might have to reload the ilok driver as my computer did not recognize it even though it was same usb port.!!!)

Once this is done they can be found in pro tools under stereo/ instrument tracks drop down under instruments. This stumped me for 3 days and 2 e-mails to korg.

It must be a stereo track. It must be an instrument track. I was so used to running mono/ audio tracks I did not even think to look elsewhere!!! My bad. Not korgs.

If this doesnt help shoot off another post and i will do the best I can to help you out.
I must say it is cool to have these available inside of pro tools.

Before I was taking sounds sampling them into the triton extreme and then outputting them into pro tools. Pain in the ass to say the least. I might even get the M-1 soundsets in the future.
(I only have MS-20, polysix, wavestation and lgacycell right now.)

Best of luck. Bill