Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2023, 03:25 AM

Default MacBook with Carbon and CalDigit experiences

Hello, does anyone reading this have any experience using Pro Tools on a MacBook, while using a Carbon interface and a CalDigit TS4 or TS3 dock? Keen to know if you had any issues with external drives (session and sample library) that were connected to the dock. Also keen to know how you overcame the lack of AVB on the dock, did you buy something like cal digit connect 10g? I read something about a double dongle set up being the best option but it wasn't clear to me what those dongles were, whether they were connected to the dock or the MacBook.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:39 AM

Default Re: MacBook with Carbon and CalDigit experiences

Which MBP do you have?

It's pretty easy if you have one of the 14" or 16" machines with M1/M2/M3 chips - you just dedicate one TB/USB4 port for the Carbon and hang hubs off the other ports.

The Sonnet adapter works, as does the double-dongle. Both listed here under "Network Requirements & AVB Adapters":
https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites...n-Requirements

I don't have the Caldigit TS3 or 4 but I do have the Elements TB4 hub and it works fine for peripherals. I also have a 7 port USB-A hub hanging off the Caldigit - also works fine. But all my samples are on internal disk.

I do have problems with external spinning disks, whether connected directly to the MBP or to one of the hubs. They keep disconnecting. This seems to be an M1/M2 problem combined with certain OS types - there's lots of similar reports. But SSDs are fine.

If it's helpful I can try the Carbon conneted to the Sonnet, connected to the Caldigit, connected to the computer.

Dominic
Old 11-02-2023, 03:50 AM

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro max 16 2021 M1, a Caldigit T3 and Carbon. I took a T3 to an Apple T2 adapter and plugged in an Apple T2 Ethernet adapter and plugged in the ABV Ethernet cable. Also, Sonnetech has a T3 adapter to ABV listed here:
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/t.../overview.html

MacBook Pro Max 64GB ram 2TB SSD, 8TB & 4TB External SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3, Pro Tools Carbon, Apollo 8 Quad Black Lion Mod, UAD Octo, Avid S3, Avid Dock
Old 11-02-2023, 04:33 AM

Thanks for the replies, and also for the links, those have been helpful. It sounds like SSDs off the dock will do the job, it also sounds like the carbon connected to MacBooks have no issues either. I'll probably go the route of connecting the Carbon directly to the MacBook rather than off the back of the dock.

I don't have a MacBook yet, I'm working off an old Mac mini. Will probably pick up an M3.

Thanks again