Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 PM

Default Re: So what's REALLy going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
especially when Avid includes 'auto-renew' in the account management facilities).
What does this mean?.....I don't want my CC charged automatically at the end of the year and have to fight with them to take the charge back off or anything like that....I bought the 12HD upgrade but I'm still using 10 with no desire to upgrade further.....I certainly don't want "auto-renew"....moon
Old 06-14-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
What does this mean?.....I don't want my CC charged automatically at the end of the year and have to fight with them to take the charge back off or anything like that....I bought the 12HD upgrade but I'm still using 10 with no desire to upgrade further.....I certainly don't want "auto-renew"....moon
You can log into your avid account and turn it off if you don't want it.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
You can log into your avid account and turn it off if you don't want it.
I logged into my account and I don't see anything that shows these options....Where is it exactly?....moon
Old 06-15-2015, 10:06 PM

I found this page http://www.avid.com/us/about-avid/le...sandconditions that talks about subscriptions....I bought a perpetual license upgrade from 9HD to 10HD,11HD,12HD, 2016 bundle....Does that license have auto renew as well?.......I can't find the option to tick off if it does.....This &^%$$ is too confusing........moon
Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
I found this page http://www.avid.com/us/about-avid/le...sandconditions that talks about subscriptions....I bought a perpetual license upgrade from 9HD to 10HD,11HD,12HD, 2016 bundle....Does that license have auto renew as well?.......I can't find the option to tick off if it does.....This &^%$$ is too confusing........moon
Hey mate,

Unless you got an annual support plan then no. From my understanding you get the stand HD Support, but not the annual support plan that automatically renews. It also means that I'm not sure what's going to happen to you if you don't. From my understanding, you need to pay $599 a year to continue getting updates past the end of 2015. If you don't... well.. no one knows what it'll cost you to get current because AVID haven't said. Probably worth a support email to clarify what your account is entitled to exactly.

Cheers!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
Hey mate,

Unless you got an annual support plan then no. From my understanding you get the stand HD Support, but not the annual support plan that automatically renews. It also means that I'm not sure what's going to happen to you if you don't. From my understanding, you need to pay $599 a year to continue getting updates past the end of 2015. If you don't... well.. no one knows what it'll cost you to get current because AVID haven't said. Probably worth a support email to clarify what your account is entitled to exactly.

Cheers!
That's fine losing upgradability with me, I've come to terms with that fact....I just don't want to open my CC statement one day to find they automatically charged another (nonrefundable) $599 simply because I didn't checkmark some box on my account....That would be a dirt move in my book......Thanks for clarifying.....moon
Old 06-16-2015, 12:20 AM

I guess kind of on topic, but over in my neck of the woods, there's a shop having an end of financial year sale and they've discounted the PT12 upgrade with support plan. I wasn't planning on upgrading until some features started to roll out, but I'm thinking I might buy it while it's cheaper, then sit on it til something worthwhile comes out and then activate it.

Reading the FAQ it states the 12 months commences upon activation, not purchase. Am I right in thinking I shouldn't have any problems doing what I mentioned above?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I guess kind of on topic ... snip!

Reading the FAQ it states the 12 months commences upon activation, not purchase. Am I right in thinking I shouldn't have any problems doing what I mentioned above?
Yes It starts from the activation date and not purchase date,
So you are correct in that thinking

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-16-2015, 10:52 AM

I've been in this business probably longer than most of you here. I remember analog tape. I went from 1" to 2" each time losing compatibility between the formats. There are quite a few of you who are totally invested in PT now. I left the recording business in the 80's to work for a major pro audio manufacturer. I fixed 2" machines, later DASH machines and the Oxford consoles. I watched as my clients invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in what was to be obsolete equipment in a few years. Pro Tools became king for obvious reasons.

I always maintained a small studio at home. I went from tape to computers and eventually ended up using PT. I suspect we are witnessing another change in format. Rather than investing in PTHD, I stuck with PT vanilla and invested in some interfaces and an analog mixer for tracking. Now, I can go with any DAW. If you are totally invested in one format you will eventually lose. There's simply not enough money in the pro audio business for most major corporations to invest the kind of capital needed to sustain it. I wish you all good luck. I personally am jumping ship. I already have invested too much with Avid.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:44 PM

I own Pro Tools 11 HD. Since there are no new features there's zero reason for me to upgrade today. If new features are introduced before the end of this year, I'd consider upgrading if I felt they were worth it to me. Frankly if we arrive at December 31st, 2015 and nothing has changed, I will likely not subscribe even though that would mean I'd lose my ability to upgrade and would have to purchase Pro Tools 12 HD as new if I ever wanted it.

So the safe bet right now is not to upgrade and wait like idiots to see what happens next. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say Avid has to at least deliver on their collaboration features before the end of the year. If they don't, well, then as far as I'm concerned, it's the end.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD