Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 PM

Default Re: corrupt audio files PT 8.0.3

Aaarrrgghhh!!!

I'm about 5 days into a major project here, and I'm getting about 1 or 2 corrupted audio files each day. They show up with the white/blue icon, instead of the black/white icon. Unreadable by any audio application, and Peak will NOT repair the file. Thanks to having seen and read this thread, I knew immediately when I saw the white/blue icons beside several files exactly what was in store for me.

Thankfully, I downloaded Rail's excellent WAV FIXER program (thank you Rail!!) and it was able to repair the files immediately, and without question. I hope you Avid folks are looking after him, BIG TIME!

Are we any closer to finding out what's wrong here?

These are brand new audio files, born on PTHD 8.1cs1, very recent clean install of Snow Leopard, updated to 10.6.4. 2 x 2.8GHZ Xeon Quad-Core MacPro (Nehalem 2009) with 6GB of DDR2 ECC RAM. HD|6 living very comfortably in PE6R4i chassis.

Audio drives are Internal SATA Seagate 1.4TB

I've noticed that several of my pals up here (Ian Bodazi and Seigfreid Meyer) have posted similar experiences with this.

WTF? This is a major problem folks.

Cheers, eh?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM

Honestly, Is nobody at Avid taking this seriously? I'm getting 1 or 2 corrupted files a day. This is not specific to any one hard drive, and clearly, this is happening to other folks on this forum. If it wasn't for the lovely utility written by Rail, I'd be sunk...

Does this have anything to do with ProTools generating waveforms and modifying files after recording? Is there some sort of OS glitch that is causing files that are in the middle of having their waveform overviews re-written, to get corrupted?

Has there been any movement here? I don't complain much, but this is serious $#!+...!...

Anybody?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
Honestly, Is nobody at Avid taking this seriously? I'm getting 1 or 2 corrupted files a day. This is not specific to any one hard drive, and clearly, this is happening to other folks on this forum. If it wasn't for the lovely utility written by Rail, I'd be sunk...

Does this have anything to do with ProTools generating waveforms and modifying files after recording? Is there some sort of OS glitch that is causing files that are in the middle of having their waveform overviews re-written, to get corrupted?

Has there been any movement here? I don't complain much, but this is serious $#!+...!...

Anybody?
Yes, we're definitely taking it seriously and this issue is high on the list for a fix.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
Here you go...

http://www.railjonrogut.com/downloads/WavFixer.dmg.zip

This will fix the WAV files which have lost their FMT chunk.

You may select multiple files and need to tell the program the sample rate and resolution of the files.

It will create a copy of the bad file and then repair the copy - it will not allow the source and destination folders to be the same.

Cheers,

Rail
Im trying this right now. I sure hope this works!!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM

YES! IT WORKED!!!

Thanks so much for this thread!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 AM

I too must say THANK YOU Rail!

Denis
Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM

I was just about to buy PT9 in hopes of fixing this problem until I came across this thread. I thought my computer was just messed up and needed a wipe and reinstall of everything... boy am I glad I saw this. Thanks for the fixer app, I'll be needing it. Can't believe someone ELSE has to write a program to fix such a massively unacceptable bug by Digi. Unbelievable!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM

Same issue confirmed on 8.1.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 PM

I can confirm this issue in 8.0.4 too. Just started getting this when tracking some midi stuff. I'll record a part, then go to click on it to edit the performance and I get this message:

Assertion in "/Volumes/Development/vb_devbranch_boondock/AlturaPorts/PT4_App/MacBuild/ ../Misc/UTimeScroller.cpp", line 422

After it happens once I get the same error when I try double clicking on ANY region (audio or midi).

Only work around I've figured out so far is closing session and restarting pro tools. This really sucks...

[Legacy] Mobile: MBP Retina 2.6 HGz Intel Core i7 w 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 running macOS Catalina (10.15.7) w/ Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12

[Legacy System] Studio: Mac Pro 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon w 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM running OS X 10.8.5 using Pro Tools v10.3.9 & v11.3.2 HDX w/ AVID HD I/O
Old 12-18-2010, 04:58 PM

I've had this happen twice in the last couple of weeks running 8.1 - Rail, thank you for your app... worked great! I recorded about 250GB worth of audio and it "only" happened on two files, FWIW, but that is still obviously unacceptable. Great to know there IS a way to fix it though.

10.6.4 OSX
Intel Mac.