Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2022, 09:26 AM

Default Re: macOS Monterey 12.3 officially supported!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG602 View Post
Reading through, he was getting “lower” performance according to the CPU meter, but in actuality the session was running fine. Again, on these new mac studios and protools there seems to be some very misleading info given out by the protools cpu meter.

yeah i can see how hat could happen. But when i oopened a session on a macbook pro with a m1pro it was fine until I put plug ins then it was all digital hash clicks like when you overload the cpu. Thats why I am confused.
Old 03-21-2022, 10:25 AM

That’s likely more plug-in related, something not being compatible with M1 or Monterey. In logic I was having the same issues with certain plugins, using them would instantly overload the session, without it it was more than fine.
HD Native
HD Omni
HD 8x8x8
HD 16x16
S1 x3
Old 03-21-2022, 11:27 AM

SSL Duende users take note that SSL has said that Duende is not supported in Monterey and they are doing nothing to make it so. The latest version (2) will open, but the originals (x86) and even those with the newer GUIs (v6) get the AAE error. When asked how we can migrate to the newer versions, the response was 'we're doing nothing.'

We have hundreds of sessions using these original AAX plugins, and at this point they're the *ONLY* ones that will not make the transition to Monterey according to the developer. And SSL has offered no advice for accessing those hundreds of sessions.

We went through this when they moved from hardware to software, and from RTAS to AAX, and no again into Monterey. We've spent thousands of dollars on their hardware and software, in 5 different rooms, only to get 'you're on your own.'

FWIW, I'm under the impression that these plugins *can* be updated.

With this response, SSL will never again receive a dime or any kind of recommendation from us or our partners.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
SSL Duende users take note that SSL has said that Duende is not supported in Monterey and they are doing nothing to make it so. The latest version (2) will open, but the originals (x86) and even those with the newer GUIs (v6) get the AAE error. When asked how we can migrate to the newer versions, the response was 'we're doing nothing.'

We have hundreds of sessions using these original AAX plugins, and at this point they're the *ONLY* ones that will not make the transition to Monterey according to the developer. And SSL has offered no advice for accessing those hundreds of sessions.

We went through this when they moved from hardware to software, and from RTAS to AAX, and no again into Monterey. We've spent thousands of dollars on their hardware and software, in 5 different rooms, only to get 'you're on your own.'

FWIW, I'm under the impression that these plugins *can* be updated.

With this response, SSL will never again receive a dime or any kind of recommendation from us or our partners.

That is super sad man!! That is the worst customer service I have ever heard of.

Re-Recording Mixer/Sound Designer
Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Pro Tools HD Accel Version 10.3.8
Mid 2012 Mac Pro 5,1 32GB Ram
Old 03-21-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTools1963 View Post
That is super sad man!! That is the worst customer service I have ever heard of.
And the saga is just getting started I'm afraid. After a couple more attempts to get an answer of any kind, it's just a string of rude remarks and dismissive text. The company has changed since the good ol' days with Jim Motley and crew as solid teammates. We'll see where it leads -- we simply don't have the option of letting these important sessions die.

I never thought I'd see a day where SSL is difficult to deal with and AIR is an absolute dream -- a swap-a-roo from the old days -- but this has been my experience this morning.

edit: It shouldn't have been necessary but I've reached out to some old friends at SSL and hopeful that they'll be able to assist.

Last edited by Eric Lambert; 03-21-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 12:56 PM

After substantial research, I concluded that the DAW software, plug-ins, and hardware drivers we rely on now support Monterey. So I bit the bullet and upgrade our Studio B iMac to Monterey last night. The installation went very smooth. I then spent a few hours testing each DAW, plug-in and piece of hardware, again, everything went well…no issues at all. Today I upgraded our Studio A iMac to Monterey and everything went equally well. After more testing this afternoon we are finding that Monterey is more responsive and “snappier” than Big Sur. So far so good!
Luna 1.5.5, Logic Pro 10.8.1/Logic Pro 10.7.9, Cubase Pro 13.0.30, Studio One Pro 6.6, Pro Tools Studio 2024.3.1, PreSonus Quantum 2, UA-2 Software 11.2, UA Apollo 8, UA Apollo Twin Mk 2 (2), UAD-2 Thunderbolt Satellite Quad (2), Fractal Axe Fx III Mk. II Turbo FW 25, USB FW 1.15 and Axe-Edit III 1.13.19, Studio A: Apple iMac 2020, i7 8-core 3.8 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP5700XT GPU, 10 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6. Studio B: Apple iMac 2015, i7 4-core 4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, RP395X GPU, 1 Gb/s Ethernet, MacOS Monterey 12.7.1.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveporter33765 View Post
...Monterey is more responsive and “snappier” than Big Sur. So far so good!
I'm finding the same thing.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
And the saga is just getting started I'm afraid. After a couple more attempts to get an answer of any kind, it's just a string of rude remarks and dismissive text. The company has changed since the good ol' days with Jim Motley and crew as solid teammates. We'll see where it leads -- we simply don't have the option of letting these important sessions die.

I never thought I'd see a day where SSL is difficult to deal with and AIR is an absolute dream -- a swap-a-roo from the old days -- but this has been my experience this morning.

edit: It shouldn't have been necessary but I've reached out to some old friends at SSL and hopeful that they'll be able to assist.

Sounds to me like they need to re-code that software for the new environment. Full stop.

Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5
Old 03-21-2022, 02:18 PM

Default New Monterey Glitch Found

I just finished a television series on PT2021.12 Ultimate running on Big Sur.

Last week like many of us, I upgraded to Monterey.

I went to open one of the sessions today and it gave me a MISSING CODEC error. Called support to no avail. I suggested that maybe an extension switch would perhaps fix the issue.

The original was .MP4, changed the extension to .MOV and re-imported the video. Boom, problem solved.

This is where it gets weird!!

I opened up another session from the same series with the extension .MP4 still intact and it opened fine. Prior to this, the same session had given the same error. I was able to open every session in the series without issue with the .MP4 extension left as is. All had failed to open prior to changing the extension on "ONLY ONE" of the videos in the series.

Nova Scotia Canada

OS Ventura 13.0
Mac Studio Max 32GB Ram

OS 10.8.5

Last edited by JoeTools1963; 03-25-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:36 PM

Default Re: New Monterey Glitch Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTools1963 View Post
I just finished a television series on PT2021.12 Ultimate running on Big Sur.

Last week like many of us, I upgraded to Monterey.

I went to open one of the sessions today and it gave me a MISSING CODEC error. Called support to no avail. I suggested that maybe an extension switch would perhaps fix the issue.

The original was .MP4, changed the extension top .MOV and re-imported the video. Boom, problem solved.

This is where it gets weird!!

I opened up another session from the same series with the extension .MP4 still intact and it opened fine. Prior to this, the same session had given the same error. I was able to open every session in the series without issue with the .MP4 extension left as is. All had failed to open prior to changing the extension on "ONLY ONE" of the videos in the series.
Humm Strange indeed. Can only conclude software gremlins must be screwing with your head.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...